Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
dirtythekid
One Eyed Hopeful

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

Post by dirtythekid »

I know Dark Souls II has been brought up, but I was wondering about the possibility of implementing Vireio support for the first Dark Souls game. I'd really like to play this using Vireio. Thanks.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

Post by baggyg »

I have this game so could give it a look. Do you know if there is a good way to play in First Person view?
ghettocat2007
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ghettocat2007 »

I saw a YouTube vids once of this being played in first person. But... On the vids I seem to remember it saying that the game is 100x more difficult with restricted view angle. And man this game is hard as it is...

I too however would like to see if it is possible and would embrace the challenge
dirtythekid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dirtythekid »

Sorry for the late response.

I played through Dark Souls 2 in first person with the Rift using a Cheat Engine hack. Dark Souls 1 has a similar hack, but it doesn't work nearly as well. DS1 is a much harder game to play in VR for a number of reasons:

1. Really, really bad mouse implementation. If mouse movement is going to define head tracking as it does in some other games, it will definitely need some tweaking.
2. Low native FPS. The game is a bad port that is limited to 30fps out of the box, and raising the cap to 60-75 seems to cause instability at some parts of the game. This could be a minor issue that you just have to be aware of and avoid the things that trigger the glitches (some ladders).
3. The Cheat Engine hack that is being used for first person isn't nearly as functional as it is in Dark Souls 2. In fact, it's downright unbearable. This needs some work.

It'd take several layers of hacks to get this working well in VR, but it's such a good game that it'd be a shame not to work at it.

Return to “Game Support”