120Hz FullHD projector sighted

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Janosz
One Eyed Hopeful

120Hz FullHD projector sighted

Post by Janosz »

Hi,

I've just come across this interesting piece of news...

Sanyo's 120Hz PLV-Z3000 1080p projector: $3,295 for USers
by Darren Murph, posted Sep 18th 2008 at 5:10PM
Thanks to Sanyo's quick-fingered Japanese branch, you already know the basics on the PLV-Z3000. For those that missed out, it's being hailed as the industry's very first 5:5 pull down beamer with a 120Hz Full HD panel. Furthermore, it boasts a 65,000:1 contrast ratio, TopazReal HD 3D color management technology, a pair of HDMI 1.3 inputs and 1,200 ANSI lumens. The best news here is the US price -- the converted yen amount is actually a fair bit higher than what Sanyo plans on charging in greenbacks, though $3,295 will still be tough to part with come December.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/18/sany ... for-users/

This baby from engagdet could slash the depthQ price...which all of a sudden looks expensive soooo overly expensive...if the new drivers work with dlp hdtvs @120Hz we'll make it work somehow with 120Hz dlps.
Even E-D glasses can hold 120hz so, we'll just bypass the partner-compatible-3d ready IR emitter with good old dongles...somehow...don't despair...If the card spits it out, and if it just comes down to synchronizing @120Hz...well, they might not make it official, but we'll have it working anyway.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I'm impressed, that there are two different persons suggesting that it's good for S-3D (SG) in the first comments :-)

And you are right, that it lets the DepthQ @ 6k$ look very bad :lol:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Unless the projector accepts 120Hz input signal (and it doesn't -- it will say so if it does), this is not for S3D.

This is exactly like all the 120Hz LCD HDTVs -- the 120Hz is for output only, they are trying to make output better (e.g. remove judder for 24p movies, frame interpolation), but it cannot take S3D page-flipped 120Hz input signal from a computer (whereas the DepthQ can).

============

What I am thinking though, is if we have 1080p DLP projectors using a single DLP chip that naturally "wobulate", then the computer can send a 60Hz S3D checkerboard signal, and if the computer can also somehow drive shutter glasses at 120Hz and in sync, then it should work with S3D. This would be similar to the Samsung/Mitsubishi DLP HDTVs that support S3D (except the HDTVs can provide sync signal to drive the shutter glasses, whereas I don't know of any DLP projectors that provide the sync signal).
Janosz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Janosz »

Wait and see...

I tend to agree with you as far as "out of the box" compatibility is concerned. Yet, it means that the dlp chip can perform and display a 5:5 pulldown, it does mean extended data bandwidth to feed the dlp chip.
My guess is that it could be fed a higher than 1024*768 res and synchronize @ more than 85Hz (which as others around is what I get from my sharp xr10x that was never branded 3d ready by its maker).
The 5:5 is to be performed through hdmi @ 24p and I'm curious about a vga signal that might benefit from the extra-bandwidth of the chipset. It might be the beginning of a new series of projectors among which some might prove to work, without its makers ever knowing or acknowledging it (which has been the case with most of the projectors tested by Andrew woods).
The limiting points were databandwidth and color wheel synchronization. The color wheel can synchronize @120 and the 1920*1080 mirrors can deliver so it might be hacked into more than decent stereo 3d, I'm not greedy, fullhd@100Hz, even 85Hz would be a very, very nice first step.
I know that they are not promising 120Hz input yet, newer versions of circuitry might do the trick.

It will be a long time before anybody gives it a go (it's a $3000 try). If I have the opportunity, I will try and report but I wouldn't say it "won't" work before somebody from this forum has really tried it, the way we do things: try different drivers, alternate solutions, odd combinations.
That's what I mean by a real try : not a test by somebody presenting wireless shutter glasses as brand new technology as 99% of either homecinema and videogame sites, eventhough age old ed glasses have been synchronizing @120Hz on CRT monitors for years. I'm not talking about any of you reading this of course! I guess it's just loneliness when people dismiss something you use every day as something that's not really worth trying, or might work in the future. Sorry, I'm rambling...I just want 3dready fullhd dlp out of those tiny samsung and mitsubishi enclosures...As fas as I'm concerned, for stereo 3d, size matters!

I don't have anything against the depthQ, don't get me wrong, the only thing is that I can buy two fullHD projectors (optoma 800x, infocus10 or even mitsubishi 4900) for less than the depthQ and try either a great passive or a 120hz active system, with twice the lumens. I guess the depthQ occupies a niche that does not give them a great deal of price flexibility.

Let's just hope that I'm a little bit right and you're a little bit wrong!
Janosz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Janosz »

My mistake, it's a 3 LCD projector...aaargh...it was late...I got carried away. Well, let's wait for the first dlp with 5:5. I'll be on the lookout.
A last thought (not a cheap one) has anybody tried a consumer 3DLP projector for S3d? (I know how expensive they are, it wouldn't be a practical discovery but it would be interesting to see how they deal with it)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”