Powered exoskeleton, full rotation/vector gantry

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
Dale Mahalko
One Eyed Hopeful

Powered exoskeleton, full rotation/vector gantry

Post by Dale Mahalko »

(Hello, I just found this website doing some web searches.. about myself. Heh. How long has this site been around?)

Is there such a thing as a personally-affordable full-body force-feedback exoskeleton with near 99% flexibility? I might be interested in buying one, if it costs less than, say, $25,000, so I can pursue my dream....

http://dalesdatadump.blogspot.com/2010/ ... rface.html

Apparently I was not able to attract SARCOS interest in my project, back in 2009. They never replied. :(

I would like to go all the way, being suspended in midair in a force-feedback powered exoskeleton, on a full pitch/roll/yaw gantry to simulate laying on a virtual beach, or swimming, or skydiving, with X/Y/Z force vectoring to simulate falling or driving over rough terrain.

But this might be a bit much to be able to put together, even just the mechanical bits only, for less than say $100,000.

It certainly would not fit in a house, or even a regular garage. It probably would need to use a shed with a 5-10 meter high ceiling for motion clearance.

Hell, the basic development, plus figuring out how to make a 3D avatar do force feedback onto the exoskeleton, would probably run into the millions.

Oh, and can't forget the minor issues of not accidentally injuring or killing the user during development, due to potiential force feedback design problems.. :)
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Powered exoskeleton, full rotation/vector gantry

Post by Haloar »

I don't think you need something as complicated as a Sarcos or true exoskeleton.

You just need a basic exoskeleton frame with pneumatic pumps or similar to oppose your movement or simulate weighted objects and sensors to detect movement.

Being surrounded by an array of fans helps to simulate acceleration, falling.

I can discuss in detail if you like?
JohnyX
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Powered exoskeleton, full rotation/vector gantry

Post by JohnyX »

Hello.
Take a look at what im working on in a link . Im making it with room for exo and at least general force feedback ( telemtry and base kickers). Haptics is just impossible for budget odt.https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =25&t=5129

Return to “Physical VR Tools”