Laptop for Rift Demos: Macbook Pro Oct 2013 vs Alienware 14

ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Laptop for Rift Demos: Macbook Pro Oct 2013 vs Alienware 14

Post by ftarnogol »

Hi guys,

I have a decision to make:
Macbook Pro 13'' (Oct 2013) vs. Alienware 14 (GTX 765M). They are both priced similarly.

I've used Macs for the past 15 years so going PC for my everyday use laptop is kind of like a deal (I'm no zealot, though... my desktop is a PC).

The "issue" i'm having is that for everyday use I prefer the mac -because I'm used to- and I love how problem/virus/maintenance free they are.

But in the coming months, I'll have to hit the road and do some demos of AMVR and VR Therapy and I think that for that purpose, a gaming laptop would be a better choice rather than carrying my desktop with all its cables and peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc).

Usage would be 90% home/productivity, 10% demos

Since AMVR is not intended to be a resource hog, would a MBP cut it for rift demos even running a DK2 at 1080p?

Fanaticism aside... the alienware almost doubles the MBP's specs for the same $$$, is it ilogical to keep betting on the MBP?

As usual, thank you guys for the input :)

Best,
Fernando
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
che
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Laptop for Rift Demos: Macbook Pro Oct 2013 vs Alienware

Post by che »

I have a 15 macbook retina with a 650gt m and its not enought even for the dk1, so there you go.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

I use the same laptop as che and haven't had any problems when demoing the Rift DK1. I am not trying to run anything super-intense though, primarily the Rift-Coaster demo, Tuscany and TF2. Depending on your requirements, the Macbook w/ 650m could be a good choice. Gets very hot, though. I'd think the Alienware would have better airflow.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Well, there's no arguing your framerate will be higher with the Alienware (even though I hate them for their overpriced-ness).

I'm no expert, but I'm willing to wager people get more anxious when they're motion sick.

Of course, using a Hydra and some ginger could mitigate these effects, but might make your demo less palatable (then again, using an alienware laptop might turn people off).

So... you can probably get away with using a Macbook (as long as you don't have a retina level desktop rendering simultaneously with the rift and use the lowest settings in Unity).
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

The good old mac vs PC battle! People say that they are not for either side but deep down they are. Personally I would have both in my house if apple didn't want my first born child for a RAM upgrade.

If you are only going to use the laptop for VR %10 of the time then go with what is comfortable but if you intend to do more than that I would say go with the best performer. The best way to get motion sickness is to have a low frame rate, stuttering and head tracking lag.
che
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by che »

I have macs and pcs at work and home.I was saying that my new macbook is already at the limit of a ligth demo like tuscany on dk1.Imagine dk2 1080 p, it wont be enough even for ligth demos.
I have ocasional drops under 60 fps on tuscany with my mac.
I would buy a razer blade pro instead of the alienware for rift demos.
Still the mac 15 retina is oustanding for everything else.If you live in the usa they just release an upgrade to geforce 750gt mac book so, not a bad idea.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

To be honest, I don't think there is any laptop that will come close to a similarly priced desktop machine. So whether you go with Alienware or Apple, you are making a compromise.

Also, unless I am missing something, the new MBP uses an Intel integrated GPU. That's probably not enough to run anything besides the simplest demos.

For the price, I think I would get the Alienware, but just keep in mind you still won't get desktop performance.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

Macs are expensive and lousy for gaming.

I would suggest to
1) buy the Alienware
2) install VMWare Player
3) download a Iatkos ML2 virtual machine file.
4) install OSX
5) ......
6) profit
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Hi guys,

Thank you for all of your input :) :) :)

I've decided to go for an Integrated graphics MBP for my everyday work and I'll use my Desktop rig to do the demos. It's gonna be cumbersome to transport but since I don't plan to live on the road, it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

I prefer to give the audience the most compelling VR experience possible rather than risk excessive motion sickness or portray VR in an unfavorable light... at this early stage in the game, we cannot risk discouraging supporters.

Thank you once again :)
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

That's probably the best choice, even if you get a Sager laptop with a 780M just look at benchmarks and then ask if you really want to pay that much.

I've actually been considering modding my Oculus Rift case into an mATX build using a riser for the graphics card, the problem is finding the right power supply but it's just the right size for my 7970.

Return to “Oculus VR”