Video Playback and frame interpolation

3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Video Playback and frame interpolation

Post by 3dRat »

Im a user of Splash Player a software video player that interpolate frames to go from 24 - 30 fps up to 60! well of course is not perfect but normally is good enough.

So I was wondering if there is some kind of overlay for the desktop so I could play whatever stereoscopic movie and the overlay would take care of the barrel distortion so I can use my rift and see the movie in super fluid 60 FPS!!!

If it's not exists something like that please someone make it! :P

on the other hand... do you think that frame interpolation is the next logic step for Vr players like "VR-Cinema" or "VR Player" ? :?:
noos
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Video Playback and frame interpolation

Post by noos »

Stereoscopic Player supports "Smooth Video Project", and the Rift. (From there you could also test your overlays, as I use realtime external processing: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=18494)

Motion interpolation for VR? Here is a video that will explain to you the need of high framerates with big screen devices. So if the source material does not have enough frames, interpolation is needed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81z613zo5q4
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

i always hate things like interpolation. it's a technological solution that stifles technical progress. poisons the well as well.
eliteturbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eliteturbo »

A low latency frame interpolation solution would probably resolve the strobe/motion blur effect.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

eliteturbo wrote:A low latency frame interpolation solution would probably resolve the strobe/motion blur effect.
yeah, if you can interpolate 1,000 frames per second (and your display has a fast enough pixel switching time to support that framerate)...
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

EDIT: Deleted unexpected duplicate post. Not even edited. Just clicked submit once on original post and it showed up twice. Oh well, second one changed to this... :(
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

eliteturbo wrote:A low latency frame interpolation solution would probably resolve the strobe/motion blur effect.
It won't, you need hardware backlight strobing for that.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Fredz wrote:
It won't, you need hardware backlight strobing for that.
Only a half solution. Backlight strobing will only hide the "motion blur" part of the "strobe/motion blur effect". I suspect that strobing will still have a "strobe effect", unless you strobe at 1KHz or more (according to Michael Abrash).
;)
drifter
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by drifter »

I'm pretty fan of interpolation, specially in the Rift. Suddenly all these youtube videos are much more watchable...
I asked to Stéphane, maker of VR Player, if he could support SmoothVideo Project.
His response : "I will take a look. If this is a directshow filter, I think it should be working out of the box."
Libertine
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Libertine »

I also use interpolation a lot with my Samsung 46" 3DTV (monitor) for long youtube videos. Very nice. I just with it was a faster switch. For that and for 3D, ugh.

Return to “Oculus VR”