Stereoscopic News Snippet on FudZilla

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Maggi
One Eyed Hopeful

Stereoscopic News Snippet on FudZilla

Post by Maggi »

Hi Peeps,

I just saw it in my news feed here:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=65
Stereoscopy is back, with a style Print E-mail
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Tuesday, 26 August 2008 01:38

Nvision 2008: Show me the glasses

We just saw a Medusa demo and Age of Empires with 3D stereo, and we can tell that youit looks awesome.

You need a few moments to adjust your eyes to it, but it does looks great. It is better than 7 years ago when we first saw 3D stereo.

It is back and it works well. 120Hz displays are coming out very shortly at almost no big price difference and they will be able to work as 2D and 3D monitors.

Nvidia was lucky that this happened at this time, as this might push SLI as you need a lot of GPU power to render two pictures that you need for 3D stereoscopy.

The only issue is that you will get a headacke after playing for a few hours; but it does get games to the next level.
I already sent Fuad a note about that inappropriate "headache" comment, but at least it's good to see that stereoscopy is making it to the mainstream news desk these days.

Best regards,
Maggi
Maggi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Maggi »

Apparently, it starts making some waves, as here's a follow up:

Nvision 2008: Feels good

We've tried 3D glasses and we can tell that this concept looks like something that might take off. You do need a new LCD 120 Hz monitor and 3D glasses, but eventually this does makes your games look better.

You enable these glasses in a driver and you can use a scroller to adjust the depth. We played with it last night and we will write an in-depth article as soon as we find time to do it.

The glasses look cool and you can see our friend, Tim Smalley, from bit tech wearing a pair. It doesn’t make you nauseated, at least not on a short term basis, but I would like to try them for a few hours before making any final conclusion. Behind Tim is the Geforce LAN party at 3:22 A.M. last night and the sight, even at this late hour, was simply great.

At first glimpse, we believe that it might have a huge change for success, as it does make a decent 3D picture out of the game and makes the experience better. The question is just how much these glasses cost and when they will be available.

We’ve heard that this product will be ready in Q4 2008.
From the picture, it looks like there's a wire coming from behind his right ear, so it seems they are indeed reviving shutterglasses.

So here's hoping that eventually they could again support my shutter glasses as well.

Cheers,
Maggi
VadersApp
Cross Eyed!

Post by VadersApp »

There will be shutterglasses support. But I think it won´t be free, only for Nvidias own glasses, maybe only together with a licenced display-type.
They want to make money out of S3D, of course.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

VadersApp wrote:There will be shutterglasses support. But I think it won´t be free, only for Nvidias own glasses, maybe only together with a licensed display-type.
They want to make money out of S3D, of course.
yeah probably. I think it is exactly the same technology as in the old elsas and edims except maybe a new frame and also a gadget inside the glasses that will basically act as a hardware identifier to make sure it's "NVIDIA-certified". Hopefully some driver hack will come that will bypass this so all glasses will be usable again. Again this is just me speculating.

What's really irritating is how they present this as a new technology, then again it may be just what the market "needs" to go stereoscopic. The lack of hard facts at this stage makes it very hard to say much else.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
LawnDart
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LawnDart »

The wire you see in the image is attached to the glasses to keep people from walking away while wearing them by accident. I guess that's a good sign of the comfort level. They aren't big and dorky. They are small and cool, I'm big and dorky. :)
Maggi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Maggi »

thanx for your feedback, guys !

I wonder how much they would charge for a stereo driver that supports generic shutter glasses ?

I mean, a few years back, I bought VRCaddy drivers for support stereo3D on my Matrox cards and I think it was somewhere around 30 $, which was ok for me.

Also, I'm still hoping that the recent buzz about stereo3D might make ATI reconsider their own strategy and hopefully they add support for their mainstream cards at some point of time.
Maggi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Maggi »

FudZilla just posted a small follow-up with pictures of the glasses, the IR transmitter and the Stereo3D section of the modern control panel

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=34

:)

what strikes me odd though, is this comment
The biggest issue is that the faster you go, you see less 3D as your brain cannot process so many information, but once the gameplay slows down, the 3D look and feel comes back. Here are some pictures.
Anybody ever experienced this ?

Cheers,
Maggi
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Stereoscopic News Snippet on FudZilla

Post by Okta »

Maggi wrote:Hi Peeps,

I just saw it in my news feed here:

Stereoscopy is back, with a style Print E-mail
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Tuesday, 26 August 2008 01:38

Nvision 2008: Show me the glasses

We just saw a Medusa demo and Age of Empires with 3D stereo, and we can tell that youit looks awesome.

You need a few moments to adjust your eyes to it, but it does looks great. It is better than 7 years ago when we first saw 3D stereo.

It is back and it works well. 120Hz displays are coming out very shortly at almost no big price difference and they will be able to work as 2D and 3D monitors.

Nvidia was lucky that this happened at this time, as this might push SLI as you need a lot of GPU power to render two pictures that you need for 3D stereoscopy.

The only issue is that you will get a headacke after playing for a few hours; but it does get games to the next level.
I already sent Fuad a note about that inappropriate "headache" comment, but at least it's good to see that stereoscopy is making it to the mainstream news desk these days.

Best regards,
Maggi
I would think that most games in s3d have some sort of HUD which will lead to eye strain and headache as your eyes constantly change focus to check ammo and health regardless of how good the visual quality is.
Maggi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Maggi »

in that case, it would be just a matter of adjusting the HUD, so that you can comfortably look at it

I don't think that is the point he's referring to, but thanx for your feedback.

Maggi
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I'd think he might get 'used' to it. Or he just concentrates more on WHAT is presented and not so much on HOW it is presented...
He concentrates on the enemies not on the 3D :?:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Maggi wrote:what strikes me odd though, is this comment
The biggest issue is that the faster you go, you see less 3D as your brain cannot process so many information, but once the gameplay slows down, the 3D look and feel comes back. Here are some pictures.
Anybody ever experienced this ?

Cheers,
Maggi
No - maybe his brain hit overload there. Then again I usually run around on foot trying to knife people :P

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”