TriDef, 720p SBS, AMD, and overscan (and crazy deep 3D!)

xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

TriDef, 720p SBS, AMD, and overscan (and crazy deep 3D!)

Post by xhonzi »

I'm connecting my AMD laptop to my Epson 3010 to play some games in SBS 3D with TriDef. My laptop's native display is 1366x768, but when it's plugged into the PJ, I have it set to 1080p. Since my laptop isn't a beast, I run mostly older games and even those need to be at lower resolutions- namely 720p.

The problem is that when I switch from 1080p desktop to 720p game, I get a lot of "overscan correction", which is to say a thick black border around the picture. When I go into SBS mode, That means that the separation of the two pics is really off. I get some crazy deep 3D out of it, which is kind of cool, but also eye straining.

If I set the desktop to 720p first... I get the same window boxed, unoverscanned image... which I can fix through the AMD Catalyst control app. Then the 720p games look pretty good. But when I switch the desktop back to 1080p, it goes back to acting the way if did before.

I suppose this is more of an AMD/Overscan issue than it is a Tridef issue. Still, I was hoping someone here had some relevant experience.

Thanks!
xhonzi

Re: TriDef, 720p SBS, AMD, and overscan (and crazy deep 3D!)

Post by xhonzi »

http://josiahmanson.com/prose/overscan/

This page includes a registry change that might do the trick. I'm posting it here incase anyone else runs into this same problem.
As far as I know, the only permanent solution is to open the Registry Editor and set

HKLM/System/ControlSet001/Control/Video/{91357F10-E8FC-41DF-AB9F-FDA3D0E8698A}/0000/TVEnableOverscan = 0

and

HKLM/System/ControlSet001/Control/Video/{91357F10-E8FC-41DF-AB9F-FDA3D0E8698A}/0000/DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan = 0.

There may be other folders than 0000, such as 0001 etc. I am not sure what those other folders mean, but I set the same values in them, assuming that they are for other connected monitors.
xhonzi

Re: TriDef, 720p SBS, AMD, and overscan (and crazy deep 3D!)

Post by xhonzi »

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/35942 ... ue#7422982

This was the registry fix that actually worked:
Go to the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\video{####....}\0000

Create a new DWORD:

"DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan" = dword 0x0000

Note: there might be several {####....} , should be the one with most of the ATI settings.
Which is subtly different that the other one I posted. When I followed the first instructions, I found no "DefaultUnderscan" key, so I didn't bother changing/creating it. The 2nd instructions clarify that it needs to be created.

Return to “DDD Tridef Ignition Driver Forums”