What happend to VORPX

Dakor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: What happend to VORPX

Post by Dakor »

Valez wrote:There is no problem spending hours in the Rift when you already got your VR-legs.
:!: The first days were kind of exhausting but today I play Minecrift 6 hours straight, totally forgetting time and everything. Nausea is no problem anymore, except when I get tired.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I see parallells with stereoscopy. If one can make a slight assumtion that there are similarities, then the rules of conduct is easy. Do you feel bad or nauseus? Take a break! :lol:
Some other tips: Try to adjust the experience to minimize the symtoms and hook up again.

The brain is finetuned through your living years to your eyes, hearing, all the senses in a matter of fact and your body. No matter how true a vr device is, there will be differencies that may/will cause some degree of discomfort before the brain adopt the new experience. A question may be how flexible the brain is to adjust. I can imagine it has a lot to do with a persons age and general health condition.

And to add some curiosa: There's quite an amount of delay before something happened until the brain (and we) finally realise what happened. The funny part is that we never notice the delay. :lol:
While seeing quite some talk about latency and that it has to be improved (don't take me wrong, low latency is always good!), then what amount of latency will the brain eventually automatically adapt to so we can have a quite true virtual experience.
Questions, questions....
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

now we have Tridef they did released their BITA and soon there will be fully backed RIFTED-IGNITION

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=18382

Really VorpX going to get tough opponent, my bet is surely TRIDEF as i m familier with it and its better supported.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

vorpX update from the blog:-
As promised a short update regarding the release date: it’s a matter of weeks now. Expect the first public beta before the end of September.

This version will be released as a paid beta for an introductory price of 40$ (US) / €35 (rest of the world). A time restricted free demo will be made available shortly after the initial release.

Much work has been done in the last the few weeks, mostly based on feedback from the closed beta. Expect a few new features and support for even more games. Especially the geometry mode received quite some attention in this regard, and works nicely with almost as many games as the Z-Buffer mode now.

Stay tuned. The wait will be soon be over. And thanks for your patience!

http://www.vorpx.com/release-timeframe/
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

More options are always better : )
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

After all this time VorpX better come up with something decent or they are going be beaten to a pulp by Tridef.
I installed the Tridef Rift Beta yesterday and it seems to provide nearly all of the functionality I was expecting to see in VorpX.
whoisonline
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by whoisonline »

Cool, finally, I can't wait to check it out when its released.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Here is the update from Ralf taken from the above link:

As promised a short update regarding the release date: it’s a matter of weeks now. Expect the first public beta before the end of September.

This version will be released as a paid beta for an introductory price of 40$ (US) / 35€ (rest of the world). A time restricted free demo will be made available shortly after the initial release.

Much work has been done in the last the few weeks, mostly based on feedback from the closed beta test. Expect a few new features and support for even more games. Especially the geometry mode received quite some attention in this regard, and works nicely with almost as many games as the Z-Buffer mode now.

Stay tuned. The wait will soon be over. And thanks for your patience!
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Ralf,

I've got my $40 all ready for you, say the word, and its yours. Can't wait!

-Steve
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

stevetb wrote:Expect the first public beta before the end of September.!
I expect the release not before 29. September... :roll:
Xemakon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xemakon »

Hmm, so is that $40 for the beta, and then an additional $50 for the final build?

*EDIT nevermind, someone in the comments asked and Ralf stated that if you purchase the beta you will be upgraded for free upon release.
braddas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by braddas »

Currently working on Flagship - a first-person RTS for the Oculus Rift.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Looking forward to people's impressions :)
I just bought it but I'm off out for a few hours..plus when you buy it you still need to wait for the activation code.
MaterialDefender

Post by MaterialDefender »

Steve,

not too many people before you in the list. ;)
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

so people? is it good? ;)
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Just bought it, $43.99 was what my order came to. No sales tax in Oregon so a bit confused on the extra $3.99 tax, oh well.

I'll try this out tonight and report back, very excited to see this finally get to this point!

-Steve
Skylead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Skylead »

FYI initially there was a restriction of 1 machine per license. After an immediate NOPE on reddit you are now allowed 2 machines per copy at a time so you don't have to jump through hoops for a laptop and desktop.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Skylead wrote:FYI initially there was a restriction of 1 machine per license. After an immediate NOPE on reddit you are now allowed 2 machines per copy at a time so you don't have to jump through hoops for a laptop and desktop.
That's excellent news and kudos to them for announcing that so quickly...
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Skylead wrote:FYI initially there was a restriction of 1 machine per license. After an immediate NOPE on reddit you are now allowed 2 machines per copy at a time so you don't have to jump through hoops for a laptop and desktop.
That's not to say that anyone who needs just one license could split it with someone else who only needs one license, right?
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

xhonzi wrote:
That's not to say that anyone who needs just one license could split it with someone else who only needs one license, right?
It would be very disappointing if people did that :(
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

museumsteve wrote:
xhonzi wrote:
It would be very disappointing if people did that :(
Allow me to clarify-

Would it be disappointing if people did that?

I was just at the site and saw the 2-for-1 deal. I don't think I'll bite at $44, but I would for $22. It was only when I came here that I saw, by way of Reddit, that it was intended for 1 person to install twice. Is it immoral to split up the two licenses between two people? Has that specifically been denounced?

If so, it should say "License allows activation on up to two devices" instead of "2x Activation Licenses". Right?
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

Someone other with experience?

In Dirt 2 i can tild, seperation and all is fine - but i can not look left/right...

* For registration shut down Firewall and Antivir
* Firewall can be online - Avira Antivir must be off all the way (otherwise it catches a virus and vorpex didnt work) --> will try tomorow "exceptional rules"
* After some tests i think extending monitor is better than mirror - and Rift @ standard res. (1280x800).
* "del" is the german "enft" - not the backspace
Last edited by RoTaToR on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

xhonzi wrote:
Allow me to clarify-

I was just at the site and saw the 2-for-1 deal. I don't think I'll bite at $44, but I would for $22. It was only when I came here that I saw, by way of Reddit, that it was intended for 1 person to install twice. Is it immoral to split up the two licenses between two people? Has that specifically been denounced?

If so, it should say "License allows activation on up to two devices" instead of "2x Activation Licenses". Right?
Yes it's morally wrong, people moaned that they wanted it on more than one machine so the rule was changed.
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

so how is skyrim? anyone tried it?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I bought it. Will test when I get a chance.
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

museumsteve wrote:
xhonzi wrote:
Allow me to clarify-

Yes it's morally wrong, people moaned that they wanted it on more than one machine so the rule was changed.
If you say so. I don't see anything on the site saying it shouldn't be used that way.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

cybereality wrote:I bought it. Will test when I get a chance.
stevetb wrote:Just bought it, $43.99 was what my order came to. No sales tax in Oregon so a bit confused on the extra $3.99 tax, oh well.

I'll try this out tonight and report back, very excited to see this finally get to this point!

-Steve

Hope to see soon indepth review with current AAA titles and obvious choices like ES V SKYRIM.

While its nice to see reviews here only. How about starting a fresh thread with 'First impressions of VorpeX Beta' subject that way it will allow more people who purchased beta to keep their experiences at same place,so that some one who intended to invest in beta or final build can make decision.

Using Power3D land me in to blur glass like border around player character if i increase depth. It happens regardless change of any other parameters other then depth.Which force me to keep depth 6~7% which feels almost flat. While it boost fps from 45 to 71 on my system with GTX660. I want to know,if i am doing something wrong or this is inherent limitation of 2D+Depth.

I have asked about this to Ralph weather this happens in his drivers too he didn't replied.

I have attached screenshots displaying this phenomenon in above below format. hope someone can elaborate this.

I know VorpeX drivers may be in their very infant stage but sure cyber and steve you both are veteran in adjusting drivers for their best output before straight way saying “Man, These are crap!"

Can’t wait to read indepth quality review and want to know,does this happens in VorpeX too?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Got home late from work, hopefully will have a key by tomorrow evening. Then I will post a review.

-Steve
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Probably it would be have been better to just drop the price per licence then... and let people purchase the amount of licences they actually need. Otherwise, a large amount of people will just give away their 2nd licence to friends etc for nothing.
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Finally got my key from VorpX but the registration is giving me an error.
Anyone else have similar issues? Tried disabling anti-virus/firewall. No luck.
The only thing I can do is laugh this is pretty ridiculous HAHAHAHA. :x
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

What is the error?

I had an issue until I disabled AVG completely

EDIT - I know some (incl myself) initially struggled until you realise when you register the activation code the line for NAME also needs to include the email address.
MaterialDefender

Sorry for that. Current Authorization mails state this more clearly. Extra stupid glitch on my side, cost me a few hours already answering questions in this regard...
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Update: Request for Key sent last night. Still no registration key from Ralf yet. Will post more when I receive the key. Hopefully this is by tonight so I can test.

-Steve
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

The DRM sounds completely awful. I think I'm going to have to skip this as long as it's in place.
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Dilip wrote: Using Power3D land me in to blur glass like border around player character if i increase depth. It happens regardless change of any other parameters other then depth.Which force me to keep depth 6~7% which feels almost flat. While it boost fps from 45 to 71 on my system with GTX660. I want to know,if i am doing something wrong or this is inherent limitation of 2D+Depth.

I have asked about this to Ralph weather this happens in his drivers too he didn't replied.
It's pretty much a limitation of 2D+Depth, or 'reprojection' method. Basically changing parallax for one or both eyes will leave holes in the original image. In otherwords, one eye would be able to see some stuff that the other eye can't- so if you take a 2D image, the other eye should be able to see things that 2D camera couldn't. These holes are often filled in by smearing the adjacent image to cover the hole. The smeared pixels you see are what is giving the blurred effect around foreground objects.

The greater the depth, the bigger the holes, the more smeared pixels, the more noticeable the effect.

More complex algorithms could be used to more smartly fill in the holes- but that complexity would come at a cost. A cost that might be higher than just rendering it in proper 3D in the first place.

Still- it will be interesting to see what Ralf did in his driver.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Usually 2D+depth methods suffer from problems like that, basically what it amounts to is trying to "fill in" pixels that don't exist due to occlusions. There is really no amount of algorithm that is going to produce something from nothing. It's a limitation of the method. However, there may be better or worse ways of handling this problem. I have yet to see how good this looks with VorpX, but I will reserve judgement until I see it.
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

So others have got a response to their register email? I bought it early yesterday. I says expect 24 hours for a response, but thought the first few days, they would be on it and reply.

kinda sucks. Hate the buy, then wait a few days. Let down on the impulse purchase.

That being said. I've owned bioshock inf for 4 months waiting to play it for the first time on the rift. I wanted a new experience, start - finish on the rift. Crossing fingers that it's implemented well in vorpx
MaterialDefender

@Lilwolf:

if you bought 24 hours ago, it shouldn't take too long anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience, that surely wasn't the plan.

Z-Buffer 3D:

What really helps when doing this on a HMD is something that can't really attributed to clever programming. I's simply the fact, that you don't have the most offending parts directly in the center of your view. Weapons etc. are mostly shifted to either side of image so it's easy to look past the worst glitches most of the time.

Some Z-Buffer Image processing, which vorpX does a lot, also allows for finetunig the effect to get a very pleasent 3D effect in the mid to far range. Especially nice in wide, open spaces. Small rooms don't work that great. There even is a user configurable setting that allows to 'shift' the effect along the z-axis for those who like to fiddle with settings.

Given the fact, that many games also have glitches in 'True 3D', the Z-Buffer image often looks nicer overall, IF one can live with the flatter foreground, which seems to be hard for some. For me the speed plus alone is often worth it, at least in resource hungry games that run well below 60fps otherwise.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Anyone else getting wierd warping issues while looking up or down in games? Seems to happen in both geo and Z_buffer modes, the problem worsens the higher the FOV you use. It was particularly noticable in Skyrim but other games I have tested seem to have the same effect.

Return to “General Discussion”