Possible DIY acrylic lenses

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Jarvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Possible DIY acrylic lenses

Post by Jarvis »

Watched this video on youtube and had an idea... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... duno3eafcc

If any of you guy in the group have a 3D printer it would be interesting if you could create a lens mold in whatever cad software (SolidWorks etc.)
then print it, set acrylic with a vacuum chamber then refinish the surface with this method and voila.
If anyone is interested I have the equipment to set the acrylic (vacuum/diffusion pump-chamber) and refinish with chemical etching I just lack the 3D printer. another thing to note that may be a hindrance is the resolution from the 3d printer so, if anyone has any experience let me know please!
I might be able to even make the 3D drawing if needed.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Possible DIY acrylic lenses

Post by geekmaster »

So you just noticed this on hackaday too, eh? :lol:

Boiling solvent vapor is awesome but dangerous.

Here is a thread with some nice CNC DIY lenses:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 240#p81276
Jarvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jarvis »

Hah you got me 8-), guess I'm not the only one that follows hackaday!
Surprised I missed that thread.. My train of thought was to be able to cast it in a printed mold so you could make a lot quickly if needed.
Next project I want to work on is a type of automated system that can adjust the lenses in the mask without much added weight and I need some custom lenses to make it work correctly.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Jarvis wrote:Hah you got me 8-), guess I'm not the only one that follows hackaday!
And "hackaday" follows us too:
At [url]http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17191#p119752[/url], geekmaster wrote:
calebkraft wrote:Watching a movie! its like being in a theater... where you can't see the edges of the screen.
... @calebcraft: Are you the "avid wearer of socks" dude sitting in Phillip Torone's chair?
At [url]http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17191&start=40#p119758[/url], geekmaster wrote:
calebkraft wrote:I am, though I think at this point I've had the chair a bit longer than he did.

He's a great guy, we talk often.
I got "hackaday" slashdotted back in the "black and white photo, one hack a day" days, resulting in my web host dropping me for "too much bandwidth consumption". It literally took years for the traffic to die down on that post. These days, the hacks drop off the main page much too fast. But there is a tradeoff between quantity and quality, and this way probably serves a larger audience.
;)
Jarvis wrote:... Next project I want to work on is a type of automated system that can adjust the lenses in the mask without much added weight and I need some custom lenses to make it work correctly.
Adjustable lenses should make quite a nice improvement to the Rift DK. The consumer Rift should have such a mechanism built-in.
:D
Jarvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jarvis »

I'd seen some posts before on HaD where I was sure they got it from mtbs3d!

I was considering a system with a small camera in the HMD pointed at the eyes coupled to a Micro-Controller and actuators to measure the distance between the eyes, and in a few seconds, adjust the lenses for best viewing depending on type of media/IPD. Just a thought and its been painfully slow learning how to program and implement code on Texas Instruments ARM family of processors so it would be a while till I could do that.. which reminds me, I'm looking for a good display to use for a new diy HMD and there are a lot of choices, any idea on what I should use?
I've read multiple threads but not clear on which is the top 3 best options as far as fov/full hd/sub 7".

Return to “Do it Yourself!”