Star Citizen (Oculus Rift support for the Hangar Module)

djesko
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Star Citizen (Oculus Rift support for the Hangar Module)

Post by djesko »

Falan wrote:Oh dear I think I started off a mini war in the Star Citizen forums trying to convince the masses how good the Oculus Rift will be in that game lol

There is a lot of hard-core TrackIR sceptics, but well, you know how it is, its hard to explain what true immersion is like without witnessing it first-hand.

I tried to explain im a long-term TrackIR guy myself and you really cant compare them but you know how people set their minds :)
Not to worry. They'll see the error of their ways after trying the Rift ;)
Star Citizen Oculus Rift clan [HMD]
zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zerax »

Falan wrote:Oh dear I think I started off a mini war in the Star Citizen forums trying to convince the masses how good the Oculus Rift will be in that game lol

There is a lot of hard-core TrackIR sceptics, but well, you know how it is, its hard to explain what true immersion is like without witnessing it first-hand.

I tried to explain im a long-term TrackIR guy myself and you really cant compare them but you know how people set their minds :)
What have you created...
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

Fools! Fools I tell ya'!

Now to something completely different...
I'm thinking of backing this game and I'm curious about the discussion about lifetime insurance.
I just recently found out about this game so I'm not entirely sure what this insurance means.
Would someone be so kind and give a short explanation of this whole insurance deal? Or perhaps point me in a good direction so I could read about it.
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Bleppe the game does look amazing, and definately something I want to experience in the Rift (both possibly released at same time early 2015).

Regarding insurance you can pledge up until tomorrow 6th July and receive LTI (life time insurance) on your pledge ship as well as subsequent ships bought up until November 2013 - so long as you buy one with LTI basically right NOW!

Life time insurance just protects your ships hull so any upgrades will be lost in the event of you getting blown up. Its a good peace-of-mind however you will be able to purchase insurance in-game with credits (although this might be substantial with larger costlier ships in high risk areas etc).

Personally I jumped in and picked up the limited edition racer 350r with special modified duel thruster engines which is limited edition, I want speed and style. It comes with LTI and also now I have a good few months to purchase addtional ships with LTI.

I actually think later in the game LTI ships will be high value and rare when it comes to selling them on so might be collector items as once this LTI offer is gone - its gone.

I would make your mind up fast as that July 6th deadline is rapidly approaching. There is options to 'melt-down' your pledge ships I believe too so you can always change your pledged ships at a later date if a newer model comes out before game release. Dont quote me on this though and do your own research it may be bs.
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

Thanks for explaining! I have to go over my bank account and check if I can afford to pledge right now. It has been an expensive month for me haha
Rift + Hydra + new gamingrigg + 2 games = poor
mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

This has been a very interesting game to follow, I'm loving all the behind the scenes of game development stuff that this studio has been sharing. I have grown very fond of the creator Chris Roberts he is a true gaming legend.
BloodShed
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by BloodShed »

I'm a big fan of Wing Commander. But, I skipped on backing this project during Kickstarter because I like to own physical games. I was hoping eventually there would be a boxed version I could pick up. This weird insurance deal is making me think I should pledge now.

I think the immersion of how the game universe is presented as some type of alternate reality is very cool. But it's also confusing.

Is this game going to be online only and you have to log into a server like an MMO? Even for the single player campaign?

I am still a bit lost on the insurance. Does that mean, if you acquire a ship, and it blows up... it is only replaced if you have insurance? What happens if you don't have insurance? You have to play the game wondering around as a person with no ship? You have to pay another $30+ to get a replacement?

For that matter, how does the game deal with death? What if I don't eject before the ship blows up?

I'm having trouble finding a straight explanation on the site.
Skylead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Skylead »

BloodShed wrote:I'm a big fan of Wing Commander. But, I skipped on backing this project during Kickstarter because I like to own physical games. I was hoping eventually there would be a boxed version I could pick up. This weird insurance deal is making me think I should pledge now.

I think the immersion of how the game universe is presented as some type of alternate reality is very cool. But it's also confusing.

Is this game going to be online only and you have to log into a server like an MMO? Even for the single player campaign?

I am still a bit lost on the insurance. Does that mean, if you acquire a ship, and it blows up... it is only replaced if you have insurance? What happens if you don't have insurance? You have to play the game wondering around as a person with no ship? You have to pay another $30+ to get a replacement?

For that matter, how does the game deal with death? What if I don't eject before the ship blows up?

I'm having trouble finding a straight explanation on the site.
Physical copies of the game are included in the COLONEL and FREELANCER tiers or higher http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig ... n?ref=live the spaceship USB comes preloaded with the game (way better imo than the 4-7 dvd installation most physical games go with) they also come with a game box ($250 and above get signed game boxes)

The main game is on a persistent world server where everything players do interacts, there is a single player campaign Wing Commander style, but it's still a part of the persistant world. If you really hate interacting with people and the PVP vs PvE slider isn't good enough you are welcome to host your own private server for single player.

If you don't have insurance and you lose your ship it's gone, however purchasing insurance is not going to be crippling and will be more equivalent to a small repair cost.
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

You can play offline and if you want to get involved online there will be local servers ie European ones German, French etc

Death looks fantastic, well if you get me, read through this:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... A-Spaceman

Amazing I cant wait, Chris is really trying to give people ownership over their lives in this game, its interesting though that your avatar in game is not the focus its more around your ship.

Re insurance it LTI (life time insurance) covers the hull, so if it gets blown up they replace it like for like. They will be monitoring insurance fraud (eg getting your mate to blow up your ship because its shagged) and there will be a delay on receiving your new ship in the case of accidents.

It is interesting how actually targeting ejected pilots and killing them could see massive bounties being put on your head as well as targeting new undergeared players in safe areas. He really is trying to cover all bases.

I would stress again though Life Time Insurance will not be available after tomorrow the 6th July so if your slightly interested in this game now is the time to act. After you picked up a package with cover you then get extended grace period till November to purchase additional ships with LTI too.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

From https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... Instancing :
The same instance system underpins the single player Squadron 42. If you’re playing off-line, your computer will be acting as the server and client, there will be no opportunities for friends to join and everyone will be an NPC. But if you play Squadron 42 through the Galaxy Server, even though your missions and space areas are pre-determined (you don’t get to pick where in the galaxy you are flying if you’re in the military) we will allow your friends to drop in / drop out to take over NPC wingmen and if you want extra skill ranking you can allow other players to drop in and take over enemy ace characters.
So it sounds like Squadron 42 will be fully playable offline with NPCs if you want.
BloodShed
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by BloodShed »

Skylead wrote:Physical copies of the game are included in the COLONEL and FREELANCER tiers or higher http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig ... n?ref=live the spaceship USB comes preloaded with the game (way better imo than the 4-7 dvd installation most physical games go with) they also come with a game box ($250 and above get signed game boxes)
Okay, I did not realize USB was their medium of choice. Honestly, I'd prefer something that wasn't writable. It never said "box" anywhere so I was under this impression that they just throw a USB stick in a standard shipping box and mail it. That wasn't really what I am interested in.

I'm kind of done with spending $100+ on a video game anyway. I've been ripped off by way too many special editions and release date purchases of games. A few months later they go on sale for $20 (often with additional content) and I've realized it's just not worth it.

By the way, what game are you playing that uses 4 to 7 DVDs?? The only game I can think of that had 7 discs was Phantasmagoria which was on CD. The newest game with at least 4 discs that I have is maybe Black & White 2 but it was also on CD. Even large RPGs and MMOs that I've purchased are included on no more than 2 DVDs.
Falan wrote:Death looks fantastic, well if you get me, read through this:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... A-Spaceman
mscoder610 wrote:From [url]https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... Instancing[/ur]

So it sounds like Squadron 42 will be fully playable offline with NPCs if you want.
Great links guys! Thanks! This is exactly the information I was looking for.
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

I pledged $25... gonna raise it at the end of the month :) Just wanted to be in on the lifetime insurance thing :D
djesko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djesko »

Just hit $13 million. That's $1 million in less than a week!
I guess folks are getting their pledges in before the cut off.
garagebattle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garagebattle »

Just bought a 315p. LOVE the idea of exploring and finding poop.
Fredrum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fredrum »

Hehe I just pledged too this should be a great early Rift experience.
Have they said if it will be Rift comptible at the August 'hangar' alphas?

Edit: oh that was stupid i should have remembered the thread title! :)
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

This is nuts... since I pledged a couple of hours ago they have managed to raise over $100.000 more... just insane.
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

The trouble is Bleppe its addictive, we already bought 3 ships now we are looking at 2 more, both in the £150-£200 price range + a couple of dogfighters later. That's closer to £1000 than I would have liked.

I keep seeing different ships and imagining exploring space in them and thinking 'yeah now I need a deep space miner' or 'yeah now I need a heavy bomber' lol craziness :)

What makes it harder is knowing the LTI will stay with the ship so down the line it will increase its worth when they become rare collector items and you want to sell them on. Its easy to justify it when you've been gaming all your life and finally VR is here and Chris Roberts is back promising this full new universe to rift through!
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

I hope the dogfights will be something like what CCP did with EV-R or the old X-Wing vs Tiefighter, which probably is my favorite space-dogfighting-game of all time :)
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Yeah I think hes making it WW2 dogfighting but in space.

There was an argument for 'proper' Newtonian physics model but apparently they tried that in one of the later Freelancer games and the combat was frikkin horrible - jousting in space with both of you rushing together at high speed then unable to brake in time so racing apart then turning to joust again.

Chris also said he is very keen to make the guns fewer, separate and unique like early Wing Commander games so they are just not all same versions shooting different colours like what happened in Wing Commander 3 where you had far too many guns. He said many people can still tell you today their favourite weapons load-out in the first 2 games but not in the later versions which was a shame.

Its interesting how no one ship can dominate (except the constellation? lol) and even lightweight noob ships will be able to perform well against tricked out veteran fighters because their fewer upgrades might mean less weight so more manoeuvrability.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

The game looks great, and I backed the kickstarter, but there's no way I'm investing money to buy in-game items for a game I've never played.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

TheHolyChicken wrote:The game looks great, and I backed the kickstarter, but there's no way I'm investing money to buy in-game items for a game I've never played.
Many of which don't even exist virtually yet!

We barely even know how exactly this game will play and I'm not entirely sure Chris Roberts knows exactly either.

But dem graphix man!

I pledged $40.

:lol:
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

There was an argument for 'proper' Newtonian physics model but apparently they tried that in one of the later Freelancer games and the combat was frikkin horrible - jousting in space with both of you rushing together at high speed then unable to brake in time so racing apart then turning to joust again.
Edit, added a few things.

Actually, you've underestimated the game!

Aside from gravity wells currently not being in at launch, it *will use* Newtonian physics, however, the systems are fly by wire to prevent the hard to maneuver jousting combat you mention and helps your pilot passing out from g forces. Advanced pilot's will be able to buy kits that turn off some or all of fly by wire so you can do weird drifting tactics. Robert is nvidia guy as well, so that means PhysX support (it's all ready in cryengine)

DO NOT pilot in this game if you can't beat games like Freespace 2 with ease(you'll probably go broke, hire someone). This game is not carebear land, most of the game is going to be edgy political/military/illegal stuff according to the developers, and MOST the money is made in full PVP areas, and even if you try to make money on Earth, once you get rich mafia and rival factories/corps will attempt to overthrow you even in PVE.

Most Star Citizen players are also 25+, custom built gaming rigs, and Oculus Rift/TrackIR users, full joysticks, etc, NO casual pandering, that means you aren't going to see PKers banned if they manage to evade in-game punishment, and most people I doubt will care since this is space sim people and not weird mmo casuals(who have odd demands usually).

A few things to know about Star Citizen I mainly learned from the livestream that confirm this game is basically risk vs. reward and PVP/co-op oriented

- You can overclock almost any tech and overload/supercharge it, including anti-matter reactors (massive destruction right there) this is why humans will be better then AI for important battles, computer won't be as aggressive.

- You can design vehicles that will be able to vaporize players in the weaker small ships, especially those with poor piloting skills. Example, corvette or bomber comes by and launches nuclear torpedo barrage at your small mining operation. That player will rage quit after losing hours or even days worth of work, or get smarter and hire a recon pilot.

- Full looting, humiliation and mass trolling (blowing up escape pods, knocking them around, capturing them, killing recovery ship etc) selling ships with contraband on board then turning them in (lol).

- Full boarding, probably even melee stealth kills, this includes on the stations etc.

- Perma character death after a certain number of defeats/accidents, possessions go to your new character, aka relative

- Political voting which could bankrupt entire guilds if factories are destroyed by ill-fated wars

- Rare technology, and uncharted jump points will be *bitterly fought over* in PVP only areas. Uncharted jump points are extremely hazardous (no autopilot til mapped) and require skill to navigate or you die.

- All ships are limited by in game production, not credits, similar to Guild Wars 2 world vs. world (siege) mode.

- Capital Ships will take dozens of people to fund and if lost will probably cause severe drama in average guild (lol)

- Kidnapping might be in the game, even if their isn't an official mechanism people *will* just threaten to blow up a player's assets if they don't "come work for them". The reason why you would kidnap someone is, you can get a skilled worker and not pay him!

- Cap ships will be mainly found in PVP areas, which means PVE players will be weaker/poorer (Roberts is making Squad 42 for that anyway)

- Explosive decompression if you mess up

- Ridiculous gun fights on large "moving maps" aka battleships *confirmed in game, and will be as big as carriers or slightly smaller*. Carrier fights will involve snipers armed with railguns or other overpowered weapons on massive flight decks/hangers. Infantry should be able to shoot incoming boarding ships as well.

- Repair droids are in game, expect internal security (turrets) and battle droids too, not to mention your team of PC and NPC corporate space marines.

- Feature content will of course be playble aliens, probably pets, and probably underground/surface areas and surface vehicles

- Game now has a command link mode, ties into your nav/comm network

- Secret patching, new ships added via new factory or reverse engineered from rare artifacts, puts your character in game lore for discovery

- Endless new ships from modders

- Stock ships are weak, takes time to upgrade to something useful for advanced missions

- Reputation, employment rating, and financial assets are the closest thing in game to experience points

- New unique sense of time via map expansion, politics, and new equipment. Diasters and major wars will make some systems temporary more dangerous, blockaded, or uninhabitable.

- PC players need allies, even if you're a pirate, game is near impossible solo outside of core (newbie) areas, solo players will need to hire npc support crews/escort.

It's going to be glorious!
Last edited by Direlight on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Excellent Direlight its great to see another rifter as excited about this game as I am. I have done nothing but trawl the star citizen forums for days now spending over £450 on ships so far me and the missus lol

I am so excited this is coming about the same time as the proper rift - we bought a Starfarer yesterday before the deadline so we can kit it out with refinery upgrades and just go into deep space and farm hydrogen off gas giants, hopefully with a Constellation for company :)

Im trying to buy a Vanduul Scythe ship second hand but they are tough to get hold of they were so limited.
garagebattle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garagebattle »

Please tell me there can be/will be a rift guild.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Oh and Crytek openly work with RSI and CIG, so game can be updated to Cryengine 4 even before the actual next Crysis release. Star Citizen has MMO patch framework, so engine can be optimized or recoded entirely for new content.
djesko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djesko »

garagebattle wrote:Please tell me there can be/will be a rift guild.
There is. See my post earlier :)
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

I'm now invested pretty heavily in this game which started as a 25 buck kickstarter type payment to their website. The more development this game has undergone the better it is turning out. The game has a heavy emphasis on immersion which is huge to me.
yoshithedog
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yoshithedog »

Huh, I feel like this game may be a bigger breaktrough than GTA series.
And the killer-app for the Rift.
Imagine all the rifters owning dem noobz because of the added awareness. This game has graphics too good to not lure casuals :>
I have a question though: can new ships be bough for in-game currency, or irl money only?
Also, is this 25$ pledge minimal to play the game, or it's for some ship only and the game is free to play? Is there some subscription?
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Huh, I feel like this game may be a bigger breakthrough than GTA series.
I agree, it's a more professional, realistic (somewhat), space GTA, I'm sure driving around in stolen corvettes in-game while police chase will be quite GTA inducing and I can all ready see the music videos.

I hope to see a .mp3 (or better) in-game audio system as well, just like the radio user station, maybe even crew could hear if you all have same files. Little things like that can make dull parts more lively.

Game is extremely similar to X3 (economy, scale) and Starshatter (combat, subsystems, dynamic missions) as well.

---------------
Squadron 42

Should play more like WC or Freespace. This time though 50 missions, capital ships, and hopefully ship to ship boarding are all in there. Full multi-player as well, pointlessly (all ready have SC, but more game expansion is great :)

have a question though: can new ships be bough for in-game currency, or irl money only?
Also, is this 25$ pledge minimal to play the game, or it's for some ship only and the game is free to play? Is there some subscription?
It tells you here at the bottom of each pledge, and 30 gets you the game plus scout, and 40 game plus 1 scout + beta. You can transfer real money to in-game credits, limited amount per month though. Also ships, powerful ones are often hard to get even with credits (supply) and if they get blown up, very expensive even with insurance.

Subscription is very optional and mainly for funding the game or paying servers etc.

Biggest advantage in SC right now sounds like just having vast NPC empire and hoard $$$ until you're run out of Dodge.

This package is cheapest to get into early alpha/beta.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... -mercenary

Don't worry about the LSI either, it's all ready getting nerfed (probably X uses per month). All ships will need to be taken care unless you own factories and can just waste ships.

It's 2 full games for $30+, seems okay to me.
Last edited by Direlight on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yoshithedog
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yoshithedog »

Thanks for clearing it up for me, Direlight!
Seems like I'll be going for Digital Bounty Hunter, the 300i is sooo beautiful <3
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

yoshithedog wrote:Thanks for clearing it up for me, Direlight!
Seems like I'll be going for Digital Bounty Hunter, the 300i is sooo beautiful <3
Thats the one I went for, such a beautiful ship design.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

That's what I got too is 300i, 300 series does everything but logistics and anti-capital ship. Be sure to hire some wingmen ASAP once alpha starts, throw in a bomber as well.

I hope 300 can carry passengers if you upgrade it.

Don't forget this either.

https://cdn-rsi.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws. ... ochure.pdf
zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zerax »

I just got more info on how the Rift FPS game mechanics will work in this game. See video below and fast forward to 22m38s

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zQCrvsm ... e&t=22m38s[/youtube-hd]
remosito

Post by remosito »

for those on bad connections:

independent aim,look and walk.
Perfect for rift, omni and hydra/trackgun!

:woot
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zerax »

The answer at 13m25s mark is pretty sweet to. Did someone say "Immersion"
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

God I can see the entire rift community being wiped out in the first wave in the upcoming alpha dogfight test, all rolling round being sick all over the place lol Im trying desperately to build up my immunity to this horrible side-effect.

I picked up a bloody scythe too which cost an arm and a leg so it better be worth it.
tbriggs
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tbriggs »

Glad to see others as excited about this game as I am. I really do think it will be one of the first "WAY better with Rift" games.

Note it's for the most part "pay to skip ahead" and not pay to win as they have said you'll be able to get almost everything with in-game currency that you can buy with real cash, the only exceptions being some limited ships (like the scythe) that you will have to capture to own in the game. So no ships, guns or other gear will require real cash to buy. You can even insure your ships (and upgrades!) with in game currency, it will just be a small additional cost over time. Note the LTI people get so bothered about only covers the ship and default equipment, you need to pay if you want to extend it to your upgraded gear.

Also, unless I missed something, the on-line portion (you can just play off-line only) will be all one "server" even for international players. That being said the server is more like an automatic matchmaker between players to put them in instances with each other. You can select PvP or PvE as a preference and when you run a mission the game will decide you get attacked by pirates, if you're PvE only, you get bots, but if you have PvP on you get other players. There will be places that you can only go with PvP on though.

Finally, just watch the 300i video a few times, you'll be subscribing in no time...
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Found 6 potentially new Rift videos posted this afternoon. Instead of shoving it immediately on reddit like I usually do, I figured I'd see if it's beta-backers-only or leaked from a new update or something. Starmaps, environment tests, 300i directors cut, sound familar?

Also my dekstop won't boot (AAAH) so I can't test if it's actually steroscopic. Anyone hear anything or do you think they're free to post?
remosito

Post by remosito »

unsilentwill wrote:Found 6 potentially new Rift videos posted this afternoon. Instead of shoving it immediately on reddit like I usually do, I figured I'd see if it's beta-backers-only or leaked from a new update or something. Starmaps, environment tests, 300i directors cut, sound familar?

Also my dekstop won't boot (AAAH) so I can't test if it's actually steroscopic. Anyone hear anything or do you think they're free to post?
300i directors cut and starmaps I know as normal non Rift videos daring from the 24h livestream. environment test does not ring a bell.

afaik any Rift 3D video would be a premiere. I don't think they have released one so far....

EDIT: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... ere#latest
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Bingo. Sounds like it's just splitscreen though? Bummer.

Return to “Oculus VR”