1080p@60fps on a passive monitor

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
lancerb
One Eyed Hopeful

1080p@60fps on a passive monitor

Post by lancerb »

I understand that atm 1080p over hdmi is only possible @ 24hz and i think amd can do 1080p @ 30hz. Displayport can do 1080p @ 60hz.

is this the same for passive monitors? Only reason i ask is that both left and right images display at the same time at 60hz refresh rate, so im kinda confused? :?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 1080p@60fps on a passive monitor

Post by geekmaster »

lancerb wrote:I understand that atm 1080p over hdmi is only possible @ 24hz and i think amd can do 1080p @ 30hz. Displayport can do 1080p @ 60hz.

is this the same for passive monitors? Only reason i ask is that both left and right images display at the same time at 60hz refresh rate, so im kinda confused? :?
That is an infamously common misconception from a tomshardware article. Here is an explanation that clarifies things a bit:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/331042-28-hdmi-limit wrote:I believe there is some misleading information in that article. The maximum of 24FPS is for watching 3D movies. When a 3D capable Blu-Ray player plays back a 3D movie, the BR player transmits the video signal to an HDTV at 48Hz instead of the normal 60Hz. Each Hz represents 1 frame so in 48Hz mode 48 frames are sent to the HDTV, in 60Hz mode (regular non 3D movie) 60 frames are sent to the HDTV.

48Hz equates to 24 frames because 24 frames are sent to each eye. Your brain processes the two separate frames from each eye to create the impression that you are seeing a 3D movie.

While 60Hz mode means the BR player is sending 60 frames per second to the HDTV, that does not mean you are actually watching a movie at 60 FPS. Movies in the US have a frame rate of 23.978 per second. A process called 3:2 pulldown or inverse telecine is used to "cut out" the excess duplicate frames so that the movie is played back at 23.978 FPS. TV shows are recorded at 30 FPS, so dividing the video signal in half will result in the HDTV to correctly display 30 FPS.

As for playing games, HDMI is limited to 60Hz or a maximum of 60FPS on a "normal" monitor. For 120Hz monitors HDMI is limited to 120Hz or a maximum of 120 FPS (assuming your graphics card can pump out that many frames) when playing in 2D mode. All 3D monitors are 120Hz so maximum performance you can get is 60 FPS when playing 3D games. Again 60 frames per eye so that the brain will receive two frames at a time (one from each eye) to fooling into thinking you are seeing something in 3D.
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by xhonzi »

That's still not quite right. Framepacking doubles the size of the picture, not the transmission rate. There is no 48hz standard in HDMI.

But 1080p@60hz@3D is possible over HDMI if it's SBS 50%, Over/Under 50%, or interlaced/checkerboard. Of course, none of those are really 1080p since they have half the resoltuion per frame. But you're going to lose that resolution on the passive screen anyways, so you don't really care.

If your image is convereted to interlaced at the source device (uncommon, but not impossible) then you'll get 1080@60hz@3D. If it's converted to interlaced from a framepacked signal at the screen, then you're stuck with 1080p@24hz@3D or 720p@60hz@3D.
lancerb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lancerb »

i have another question about passive monitors, according to this review http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/pc- ... 884/review
Even in the monitor's 2D mode, there's still a slight hint of that irritating Venetian blind effect. Put simply, you can always see the 3D polarising filters. That's a bummer because in many other regards, this is a pretty nice panel.
, you can still see the interleaved lines while in 2d mode, would this statement be true? i know why this effect can be seen in 3d mode but in 2d mode im not sure why?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

You will see the interleaved lines when you wear the glasses, regardless of 2d or 3d-mode.
According to my own experience the view without glasses is quite similar the one on other monitors/tv's (LG tv).
It seems that the phenomena might vary between different tv's and/or also be experienced with different intensity depending on person.
Last edited by Likay on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If you are using HDMI 1.4a, then most likely you will be limited to 720P60 or 1080P24. Since passive monitors typically use an interleaved format (and update at 60Hz) you can actually feed the interleaved signal directly from the computer. In that case, you will be able to use 1080P60 (although it's interleaved, so it's half the resolution per eye).

In terms of being able to see the film on the screen, this is true. Even in 2D without glasses, if you look closely you will see faint lines. It's not the worst thing, but can get annoying in some cases.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

cybereality wrote:In terms of being able to see the film on the screen, this is true. Even in 2D without glasses, if you look closely you will see faint lines. It's not the worst thing, but can get annoying in some cases.
Ok. I haven't noticed this phenomena myself so i will change the former statement from me.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well at least it was like that on the Zalman Trimon. Not sure how much the tech has advanced over the last few years.

At first it was a little annoying, but I managed to get used to it. However, once I got a new (non-passive) monitor I did notice a nice bump in clarity without the lines.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”