Virtuix Omni Kickstarting June 4th!!!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Virtuix Omni Kickstarting June 4th!!!

Post by Benjimoron »

Well done Jan!

I haven't had time to watch the new videos etc yet, but I'm so glad this has been so successful so quickly. A really good addition to gaming IMO.
Jalaman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jalaman »

Agreed. I blew my VR Budget on my Rift dev kit but I'll be picking one of these up as soon as they hit the consumer market.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/194462 ... rite-game/

Trending toward $13,528,655
9019% of goal :shock:
Last edited by mahler on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

Congratulations Jan ! Hopefully my viiwok will have at least the 10th part of your success...
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

mahler wrote:Trending toward $12,036,311
8024% of goal :shock:
In case you haven't noticed, that thing calculates these "trends" rather naively; it's worthless until it has a big pile of data to sift through, and even then it's not anything to base serious projections on. Every well-publicised Kickstarter ever has done the vast majority of its business on the first day. Before this started I said the current world market for Omnis probably tops out at something like 1000, and if I'm wrong it's by something like a factor of 2, not a factor of 40.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

Congrats Jan!

I've been seriously eyeing them all day - now my only option is the $399 tier. My good sense tells me that I've already spent $800 on a new pc and $300 on the rift and I shouldn't dip into my savings anymore this year for VR. But you just had to say "Wouldn't you love to take a walk in Skyrim every morning." Yes, yes I would. A my birthday is in 2 days... You bastard....

Back to debating how much I like paying bills....
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

Just pledged it, now the brutal wait until January! :woot
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I don't use my living room for anything, I can stick it in there. That won't turn around and bite me, I'm sure.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Ah, must be in provisional patent stage. No patent applications searchable that I can see.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

Crud, working today at the office just cost me 50 bucks by missing the earlybird... sigh...
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Congratulations Jan and Virtuix team
What a mad day this as been $333,069 and climbing , thats the way to do a kickstarter.
Well done Holly chicken on winning an omni.
Really looking forward to more great vr kickstarter projects
nnamd
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nnamd »

In the Omni kickstarter video. At 3:06 what VR glassess are they using?
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Trending towards $16,744,721 (11169% of Goal)

I'm an optimist ;)
Trabbi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Trabbi »

amazing how successful they are!

I backed even though I have no rift and no razer hydra or any other VR like device (yet!), but I have to get this piece of video game history :mrgreen:

... walking around in rapture with rift + omni, no need for action, just explore everything in REAL!
mowfax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mowfax »

Trabbi wrote:amazing how successful they are!

I backed even though I have no rift and no razer hydra or any other VR like device (yet!), but I have to get this piece of video game history :mrgreen:

... walking around in rapture with rift + omni, no need for action, just explore everything in REAL!
Yeah I think Rift + Omni + Hydra will be REALLY great with the Gallery :)
A lot of exploration with the same walk speed ingame and not so much action.... CAN'T.......WAIT.... :woot
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

I just can’t get behind this. It's just too big. I can’t see anywhere in my house I can put it. This would also disprove what I have been telling everyone. "as soon as I get my rift I’m going to move into a closet"
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

really wanted to get one, was all set and ready to go, been waiting for this day for a long time, and was ready to jump in as soon as the kickstarter went live. But alas I ended up getting into one hell of an argument with my wife about it. She isn't a gamer, and just doesn't understand what this is, and why it is important.

I could still get one, but having to live with her afterwards would be pure pain, she litteraly would make my life hell if I got it, I just can't put myself through that :(

(The moral of the story, if your a gamer, try to choose a gamer as your other half).

p.s. The rapid success of both the Omni & rift really is the begining of the end for the game consoles in their current form. This is the future, and it can't come soon enough. My Congrats to the Omni crew.
Last edited by mindless on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

So what do you Omni backers have in mind so far, for routing wires ?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

mindless wrote: (The moral of the story, if your a gamer, try to choose a gamer as your other half).
(WARNING..THIS IS JUST A JOKE)...Are you sure she isn't a Gamer and you just got played... :D
Moral of the story..Don't hate the player, hate the game :lol:
rwurdig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rwurdig »

U know, next time she wants to buy a new purse u can argue the same, too expensive.
u shouldnt stop doing what u want just because she didnt think its necessary.
we all need to learn how to give up on some things, so both can be happy, if she loves u she will understand it is important to u.
but that is just me, wish u luck.
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

rwurdig wrote:U know, next time she wants to buy a new purse u can argue the same, too expensive.
we all need to learn how to give up on some things, so both can be happy, if she loves u she will understand it is important to u.
Thanks, but you do not know my wife, there is no reasoning, logic is irrelevant, compromise impossible, human emotion redundant. She wins or the world burns. :twisted:
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

mindless wrote:
rwurdig wrote:U know, next time she wants to buy a new purse u can argue the same, too expensive.
Thanks, but you do not know my wife, there is no reasoning, logic is irrelevant, compromise impossible, human emotion redundant. She wins or the world burns. :evil:
Its exercise equipment that you would actually use. See if that aspect of it is more appealing to her.
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Definitely a reason for a gamer girl. Heh. My gf is extremely excited at the prospect of walking or running around skyrim. Moreso than me even
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

O.K. I'm in, I'm now an official Omni backer ;)

it's now 1:20am, and she is already asleep, tomorrow will be an "interesting" day. If you don't hear from me for a couple of days, send in the cops.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Moral of the story: don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness?
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

mindless wrote:O.K. I'm in, I'm now an official Omni backer ;)

it's now 1:20am, and she is already asleep, tomorrow will be an "interesting" day. If you don't hear from me for a couple of days, send in the cops.
Sell it to her by saying its a state of the art exercise machine where you work out without even knowing it. Do not tell her its an expensive gaming accessory
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

mattyeatsmatts wrote:Sell it to her by saying its a state of the art exercise machine where you work out without even knowing it. Do not tell her its an expensive gaming accessory
1+ ... and DONT - NEVER - tell her that the exercise machine is for her....
rafal1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rafal1 »

Nice one RoTaToR, if he would say this, we would send him hearse, not cops that he asked for :twisted:

One thing that keeps my optimism away is a high noise level this treadmill generates. If you live in a flat for all by yourself, or you have a special room for it, like basement or garage that's perfect, but if you live with some other residents in a house, fg. you are renting a room, it's seems to be impossible to use it without annoying them everytime you are playing.
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

rafal1 wrote:One thing that keeps my optimism away is a high noise level this treadmill generates. If you live in a flat for all by yourself, or you have a special room for it, like basement or garage that's perfect, but if you live with some other residents in a house, fg. you are renting a room, it's seems to be impossible to use it without annoying them everytime you are playing.
Jan states in the FAQ:
We have used the Omni many nights in an apartment, without any fear of neighbors’ complaints.
But some absolute measured data in dB(A) would be helpful.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Amazing work JanVR!!!!! Over $450K!!!!!

I was hesitant to back at first, but who was I kidding. I'm in for $399.

Didn't think I had the space in my apartment, but just remembered I have a pretty large balcony that is not being used for anything. This way it will be out of sight when I am not using it, and not be a huge eye-sore in my living room.

Now I just need to build a wireless Rift setup or some sort of backtop or something.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

In like Flynn!
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

cybereality wrote:Amazing work JanVR!!!!! Over $450K!!!!!

I was hesitant to back at first, but who was I kidding. I'm in for $399.

Didn't think I had the space in my apartment, but just remembered I have a pretty large balcony that is not being used for anything. This way it will be out of sight when I am not using it, and not be a huge eye-sore in my living room.
"Just going outside for a run" ;)

Congratulations, Jan!
I must admit I was a bit skeptical at the very beginning when you first showed off your prototype and said you quit your job, but you've obviously made the right choice, and from the looks of it, a great product.

The international shipping and the very nature of going through another kickstarter wait, is keeping me from backing, but I'd pick one up in a second from a local shop. Doesn't seem like you need my money right now anyway :P
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

cybereality wrote:Now I just need to build a wireless Rift setup of some sort of backtop or something.
Now I'm really holding out hope that a consumer version of the rift will be wireless. I'm not sure how possible that will be, but I can still dream.
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

to bad they limited the amount of omnis people can buy in kickstarter, otherways it could break a record, and 50 days is way to long with limited quantities i think
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

If I only had enough real estate to be able to stowe the Omni easily when not using it, I'd pledge. Hope I get to try it out somewhere.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Man I got so close to pressing the button on the $249 DIY. But the AU postage wasn't up. Now Im left hope the viiwok is a viable option, or build from scratch.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

3dvison wrote:So what do you Omni backers have in mind so far, for routing wires ?
I would think a standard microphone stand with a gooseneck and clip on the end would work reasonably well....or something similar
braddas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by braddas »

Congrats to the Omni team! That got funded insanely fast! Just one concern - I do wonder if your average gamer is aware that this doesn't come with the Oculus Rift? I know it's in the FAQ but that's right at the bottom of the page. I'd have made that clearer myself, but I'm sure it's not a huge problem.

I bet the line "imagine going jogging in Skyrim every morning" convinced a lot of people... :P
Currently working on Flagship - a first-person RTS for the Oculus Rift.
remosito

Post by remosito »

Just saw Omni weights 50kg, so forget about the below.... :-(

Was thinking about those insane shipping costs to europe!

A DHL Package 120x60x60 and max weight 31.5kg from Germany to most of Europe costs ~60$.

Would it maybe be a cheaper alternative to send ALL european Omnis together to Hamburg via shipping container and distribute from there?

Both Houston and Hamburg are big ship ports....
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Will the omni fit in a normal car, or will you need a van/pickup truck to get it from the distribution centers

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”