Can't get a connection to my android phone! - SOLVED

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
Palux
One Eyed Hopeful

Can't get a connection to my android phone! - SOLVED

Post by Palux »

Hello :)

I am very excited about freepie and the possibility to get it running with an android device, but i cant get a connection!

What i did so far:

- Installed FreePIE Version 0.6.277
- Installed APK from FreePIE Root on phone and tablet (galaxy s+ with 2.3.3 and archos gamepad with android 4.x)
- got own ip via: cmd "ipconfig" (192.168.0.100)
- installed programm "simple port forwarding and tested it (UDP port 5555 seems to be open, i have the shitty router dlink dir 615)
- deactivated all firewall and antivirus programms.
- startet freepie imu on phone with correct values.
- clicked in freepie on "settings" - "plugins" - "android". it asked for UDP port. i clicked ok. NOTHING happened??! Is that ok?!?!
- Run script: diagnostics.watch(android.googleYaw)

and no value changes are there. i tried also other scripts and tried on the tablet too.. no one worked. it seems that i have no connection!

please do you know where is the fault?? thank you very much!!! :) :)

regards
palux
Last edited by Palux on Mon May 13, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Help please, can't get a connection to my android phone!

Post by CyberVillain »

Hi Palux.
If you tick the debug checkbox do you see any values there?
Tick either Raw or orientation checkbox otherwise nothing will be sent

diagnostics.watch(android.googleYaw) uses orientation data
and
diagnostics.watch(android.yaw) uses Raw data
Palux
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Palux »

thank you for your answer and help! you are fully right, i had both checked!!

ITS WORKING!! thank you very much you saved my day! its very jittering, but i am able now to continue improving it!!

thank you very very much!!!

EDIT:
The yaw input jumps from -2.9xx to -.01xx and back then it stays for some time around -2.9x. in other apps the sensor works very good and there is no big jumps in the yaw value. normal calibration didnt made it any better. it is only in this app jumping around. does somebody else experienced this? it is only the yaw input. the roll and pitch values are very good for mousemovement and relativly smooth.

i tried to calibrate the magnetic sensor (turning the phone few times around its axis) but it seems its getting to much noise, maybe from the electronic stuff in my room.

i will try a different phone the next days, because my tablett sensors are not working in the freepie app
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re:

Post by CyberVillain »

Ah, yeah, its a bug :P
I should really fix that for next release, so that you can have both ticked (no reason to use them both at the same time though)

What fusion are you using Googles or FreePies custom one?
Palux wrote:thank you for your answer and help! you are fully right, i had both checked!!

ITS WORKING!! thank you very much you saved my day! its very jittering, but i am able now to continue improving it!!

thank you very very much!!!

EDIT:
The yaw input jumps from -2.9xx to -.01xx and back then it stays for some time around -2.9x. in other apps the sensor works very good and there is no big jumps in the yaw value. normal calibration didnt made it any better. it is only in this app jumping around. does somebody else experienced this? it is only the yaw input. the roll and pitch values are very good for mousemovement and relativly smooth.

i tried to calibrate the magnetic sensor (turning the phone few times around its axis) but it seems its getting to much noise, maybe from the electronic stuff in my room.

i will try a different phone the next days, because my tablett sensors are not working in the freepie app
Palux
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Can't get a connection to my android phone! - SOLVED

Post by Palux »

sorry, i dont know what a fusion is.

i am using everything from stock and didnt changed more as i described in the above post. my phone is a samsung galaxy s plus with android 2.3.6
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

android.yaw uses FreePIEs custom sensor fusion (Mahony) while android.googleYaw uses the built in fusion in the phone.

Tested both?

edit: hmm, pretty old phone, does it have a magnometer? If not that explains the yaw drift
Palux
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Palux »

seems that only android.googleYaw works for me. the android.yaw gives no output. ill test another phone today and will write here if something is different.

thank you!

Return to “FreePIE”