DLP projectors

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
mojoDodo
One Eyed Hopeful

DLP projectors

Post by mojoDodo »

Hi, quick question. Do all DLP projectors support DLP-link technology? And if so, then it is correct to assume that as long as the refresh rate of the projector is above 100Hz, then it is capable of displaying 3D.
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: DLP projectors

Post by xhonzi »

No. The incoming 3D signal doesn't have the DLP link flash, that's something the projector adds when it receives something it recognizes as a 3D signal. Not all DLP projectors have this feature, and what signals are recognized as 3D varies from model to model as well.

There are a lot of old DLP projectors that don't support the current HDMI 3D standard (frame packing) but only support 120hz signal input. If you're using the DLP as a computer display, you can probably make that work... but if not, you would need to buy another converter to use it with, say, a 3D game console or a 3D BD player.
mojoDodo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mojoDodo »

Thanks for your reply. The projector in question is a projectiondesign F1 XGA, and yes it will be used as display for my mac. I have discovered bino3d's player that incorporates DLP-link support: it provides a signal that informs the projector which image is being displayed. Assuming a pair of DLP-link glasses don't work, how would I go about getting that 3d effect with other active shutter glasses?
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Honestly, I don't know. It may be more trouble than it's worth, though I don't suppose it's impossible. I don't think that PJ supports 3D out of the box... http://www.projectorcentral.com/project ... _XGA-6.htm so you'd have to come up with something on your own. You'll need some kind of signal that tells the glasses (which ever kind you go with) to switch eyes. There's RF (Bluetooth), IR, DLP-Link, and, for older tech, wired. All of those will require some kind of signal sender device, and I know NVIDIA makes one of those, or at least they used to.

Frankly, this might all cost more that just buying a slightly newer DLP-Link compatible PJ. If you're looking for absolutely bottom dollar solutions, I think you can snag ~2007 DLPs for about $400-$500.

Good luck.
mojoDodo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mojoDodo »

To be honest I wouldn't even bother with this projector if it wasn't so damn cheap (it's a used pj) at only a mere 93 euros/120 dollars. Unfortunately that's all I can afford at the moment. But of course when I can dish out the 400-600 dolalrs for one that is labeled 3D ready I will.

I think I'll give this a go either way. Hopefully it will work.
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

My point was that a 3DXL costs ~$300. So if you have to buy one of those to make this work, then it's already more expensive than some of your other options.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”