The Beyerdynamic H1 Headzone Base Station 5.1 Surround

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
DrussNL
One Eyed Hopeful

The Beyerdynamic H1 Headzone Base Station 5.1 Surround

Post by DrussNL »

Now I know the name of the forum says "meant to be seen", but I think everyone will concede that good positional audio is just as important (though less critical) for a good VR experience as a good HMD. I just stumbled across this and I couldn't find mention of it anywhere on the forum (using the search function).

What you see here is the H1 in combination with the DT880's (mid-level audiophile headphones that are highly recommended for positional audio in stereo gaming) also made by Beyerdynamic.
For those who don't know Beyerdynamic, a quick google search will show you that it is a company that is placed among the top headphone manufacturers in the world.

In the picture both are outfitted with a special antenna that is supposed to track head movement for a yet unprecedented level of "3D Audio", you can see why I though it necessary to share this information here.

What I want to know is if anyone has any experience with this device, it sounds like the ideal combo for any HMD. These claims have been made before, but not by a company with such a reputation for high-end audio. The price for the set is also clearly not meant for your average gamer, coming in at just under $2000,- for the headset, amp and tracking antennas.

Is this the best solution for positional audio we have to date or are there better ones on the market? How is the latency when quickly swiveling your head? etc.

Please discuss, even if you don't own one. Feel free to speculate!

Edit: Damn, and I though I would make a good first impression posting this for you guys. xD Guess everybody already knew about it, or you just don't care. Mods, feel free to remove this or whatever.
AussieMike
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: The Beyerdynamic H1 Headzone Base Station 5.1 Surround

Post by AussieMike »

It looks pretty cool. I havn't tried it (or heard of it before for that matter), but isn't the head tracking completely redundant for VR use, since the rift already has head tracking? (assuming off course that the software takes this into account when making sound)

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”