Novint Falcon Support and users

bl1nds1de13
One Eyed Hopeful

Novint Falcon Support and users

Post by bl1nds1de13 »

I posted a comment on the review of the Falcon from December and just wanted to start a thread here to see if I could find any users or anyone with any insight or thoughts on the topic...

Here is the comment from the review article.

"Are there any other Falcon users out there? John Novint posted several months ago he was leaving Novint .... speculation was that Novint was going to stop supporting games with the Falcon. Several weeks ago falconarmy.com went dark which certainly seems as though Novint has not only stopped supporting games, but given their users the proverbial middle finger without the courtesy of an apology or even an acknowledgement. All that being the case, I for one am pretty pissed to say the least. Many users have posted updates and entire games scripts for the Falcon and would continue to do so without Novints support. Seriously, how much does it really cost to leave a support site running? Especially considering that end users have spent countless hours supporting this product themselves and now have nowhere to share their efforts. Any falcon users out there feel free to respond... Hell, I would spend a few hours to set up a free google site for falcon users myself if I knew how to reach any of the falcon users out there. Maybe someone from mtbs3d.com could see if they could get any sort of answer on this topic as they may have some contacts at Novint?"

bl1nds1de13
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Novint Falcon Support and users

Post by cybereality »

I have a Falcon, but I haven't used it in years and I haven't really followed the community much. Its still a cool device, and could be fun with the proper software.

Really sad if they are going under.
bl1nds1de13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bl1nds1de13 »

UPDATE! - Falcon Support

Wanted to update the above comment.... I have been assured by Novint that support for the Falcon is alive and well. Apparently, the falconarmy site was severely hacked and had to be taken down until it can be repaired. It would seem that the current state of support was an unfortunate series of events which Novint is working to remedy as soon as possible and the departure of JohnNovint has put them behind with game support and updates.

So Falcon users hang tight for support and just find one of your favorite Falcon games to replay in the mean time. Also, support is still available through support@novint.com . I will also note that Novint responded very quickly to my support inquiry.

For anyone interested in a Falcon, I can assure you this IS a fantastic piece of hardware unlike anything you have ever used and a great addition to any PC gaming system with many working titles to play until new game support is up and running again.

To cybereality, thanks for the response... you should really dust off your Falcon and install the latest F-Gen software. It works quite well.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

This Is good news as I use mine regularly with older classic games like Portal, Unreal Tournament 3. Did have some issues with Rage [£3.99] so I will contact support. You can see I wait for games to go to the budget steam price before purchase so I'm looking forward to skyrim and mass effect 3 with the falcon.
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cadcoke5 »

I was looking into the Falcon as an interface to SolidWorks 3-D design software. However, they don't have any support for it. It seems the next step up, in terms of a 3-D hapatic device that will work within SolidWorks is the Virtuose 6DDesktop from Haption. But at over $52000 USD, it is out of consideration even for most industrial applications.

Have any of you heard of the Falcon working within any sort of 3D CAD system?

Joe Dunfee
blueshock
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by blueshock »

Hey, does anyone know where you can still buy these in the UK? No where seems to sell these anymore apart from Inition but that's a 10 unit minimum.

(Oh and hi btw, it's been great reading the insights from some of the best minds in VR and AR)
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

The first post made me really worry, but few, it isn't that bad of news. It's too bad for the loss of a coder, it always hurts the progress. I've had the novint since it first came out, it's a marvelous machine for games. So it's no wonder their new hardware is so late, it's too bad, it seemed like a really fun idea.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”