GDC 2013 - News and impressions

KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: GDC 2013 - News and impressions

Post by KBK »

"It is Inevitable, Mr. Andersen."

(Not dumb enough to use the Swedish spelling :mrgreen:)

Swedish, Norwegian, what's the difference...
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

been impressed with things so far ok sure not a lot of things new but its nice to see the final dev kit out there and positive reactions to it even if the screen is a tad more pixelated :-) i cant wait to try it out myself!
antimatter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by antimatter »

Zoide wrote:
unsilentwill wrote:this Verge article is one of the more negative reviews I've seen. Worth a look.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/41477 ... culus-rift
Ouch! They call the Rift "unplayable"...
some people are going to be disappointed. The current tech has limitations and fast movement is one of them.
Paintbrush
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Paintbrush »

I think part of the problem with nausea (aside from too fast (non optimized for VR ) movement) is that people are jumping from demo to demo too quickly... without acclimatizing first.
VR is new. I bet jumping from Hawken to fast paced racing game and TF2 can be hard to stomach. Hell, I remember I was a bit dizzy looking at the monitor when first 3d titles came out. Now I'm playing 3d without even a little bit of discomfort. It took a bit of getting used to (my girlfriend, who's not a gamer, still can't watch fast camera movements in games), it will take even more so for VR.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

I'm not convinced about driving games. There was a driving game on the original Virtuality 1000SD ( that's why you sometimes see a cover with a wheel attached and pedals) but it never worked all that well as a VR game as you spend most of your time looking forward with only slight head movements and that really defeats the object of being in a 360 degree world.

FPS will be popular, but I'd guess they will be games especially developed for VR rather than the fast paced games we currently have.

RPG and exploration games will be excellent and the Gallery has the potential to be one of these. It reminds me of Dactyl Nightmare at the moment but I'm sure it's going to be much more involving. All of these types of games will require great tracking and natural hand controls so either new peripherals or perhaps a more accurate Hydra to be really compelling.

I'm investigating an idea for a peripheral that I think will be ideal but it all comes down to accurate tracking in both orientation and position in 360 degrees without being complication, free from occlusion and most importantly affordable.
NiceGuyAndersson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NiceGuyAndersson »

KBK wrote:"It is Inevitable, Mr. Andersen."

What's wrong with the Swedish spelling? :cry:
DaEmpty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaEmpty »

At several points, my perspective "drifted," forcing Oculus to reset Hawken so that the Rift's’ line-of-sight lined up with my own.
Drifting head tracking is the worst thing that could happen. :|
I think we cannot fix this in software.

Maybe it's a good idea to order a track ir and use the rift tracker only as fallback.
****... I hate this news.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I don't understand why it's drifting. It has a compass which tells it which way North is at all times. Is there some magnetic interference? Or is the sensor fusion just not quite ready? Or is there some other bug in DriVR or the Unity integration that's causing it?
danielbln
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danielbln »

Since no one ever mentioned anything about drift with the Epic Citadel or Unity demos, I'm going to say it's due to Hawken's alpha-ish implementation maybe?
NegativeCamber
Cross Eyed!

Post by NegativeCamber »

V8Griff wrote:I'm not convinced about driving games. There was a driving game on the original Virtuality 1000SD ( that's why you sometimes see a cover with a wheel attached and pedals) but it never worked all that well as a VR game as you spend most of your time looking forward with only slight head movements and that really defeats the object of being in a 360 degree world.
As an avid sim racer trust me you do look around, otherwise you'll crash into people beside you. That's why a large proportion of sim racers have triple monitor setups to see what cars beside them are doing.

Obviously you don't need to look over your shoulder but that's an uncomfortable thing to do sitting down anyway.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

You wouldn't perceive the drift in the epic citadel because you have no fixed point of reference (like the cockpit in hawken), even with a tracker without a magnetometer. I was surprised by this comment as well though, I haven't had drift problems with the YEI tracker when seated looking around like they were in the demo.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

NiceGuyAndersson wrote:

Just a bit of humor.

I remember when I was sitting in on the first North American showing of some video hardware from Norway, and the menu system that was internal to the device was brought up onto the video screen.

In the crowd was a friend of mine, a Hockey fan who was also politically astute. This friend noted that there was no Swedish menu, and said so. Which everyone in the room, including the Norwegians who produced the device - had a laugh about.

Some rivalries go deep. :)

I've been told that in hockey, Sweden vs Norway can be a pretty rough game.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
NiceGuyAndersson
One Eyed Hopeful

KBK wrote:
NiceGuyAndersson wrote:

Just a bit of humor.

I remember when I was sitting in on the first North American showing of some video hardware from Norway, and the menu system that was internal to the device was brought up onto the video screen.

In the crowd was a friend of mine, a Hockey fan who was also politically astute. This friend noted that there was no Swedish menu, and said so. Which everyone in the room, including the Norwegians who produced the device - had a laugh about.

Some rivalries go deep. :)

I've been told that in hockey, Sweden vs Norway can be a pretty rough game.
Hahaha, yeah Swedes and Noobwegians sure can be rivals at times. Jokes about how Norwegians are stupid used to be very popular in Sweden :lol:
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

The common buzzword from what I've read so far seems to be "blurry."

I wonder just how blurry things are? Is it just a very soft low resolution image? Or does it actually appear out of focus?

I'm personally not concerned with it as I understand this is the first version of a developer kit. But I'm wondering with the all too familiar "sky is falling" commenters and journalists, will this be a problem that people can look beyond and avoid starting to spread bad press and rumors?

Is this "blurry" thing something that can be minimized/optimized by the developer. As we know, this version of Hawken was very early and not optimized for the Rift, the DriVR demo they showed seems to be have been thrown together in a couple days. It just caught me off guard a little when that one article called it "unplayable" as that's the first time I've heard someone say that.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

unsilentwill wrote:this Verge article is one of the more negative reviews I've seen. Worth a look.
From the article:
"The Rift’s 720p display, despite sitting so close to the eyes, doesn’t look like a 720p display."

Really? DESPITE being so close? Do screens usually improve as you get close to them?
miFFhoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miFFhoe »

jaybug wrote:
From the article:
"The Rift’s 720p display, despite sitting so close to the eyes, doesn’t look like a 720p display."

Really? DESPITE being so close? Do screens usually improve as you get close to them?
Haha yeah laughed at that too.

Actually the article felt a bit off at several places IMO.
MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

superbike81 wrote:The common buzzword from what I've read so far seems to be "blurry."

I wonder just how blurry things are? Is it just a very soft low resolution image? Or does it actually appear out of focus?

I'm personally not concerned with it as I understand this is the first version of a developer kit. But I'm wondering with the all too familiar "sky is falling" commenters and journalists, will this be a problem that people can look beyond and avoid starting to spread bad press and rumors?

Is this "blurry" thing something that can be minimized/optimized by the developer. As we know, this version of Hawken was very early and not optimized for the Rift, the DriVR demo they showed seems to be have been thrown together in a couple days. It just caught me off guard a little when that one article called it "unplayable" as that's the first time I've heard someone say that.

I've picked up on this in a couple of articles too. The comments I've seen appear to apply to the production rift, but I don't recall any 'blurry' comments from the earlier hands-on experiences. Having never seen either unit it's hard to tell how blurry is blurry (is it an optics alignment issue with respect to how the unit is positioned on the head, is it a diopter correction issue, a lens quality issue, a low comment on the lower resolution or a panel rendering update issue / software issue)? Would be nice to think it's just an alignment issue that can be fixed through a more careful setup.
Flim
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flim »

Setup is a big part of the demo issues, which should be different person to person. I'm sure that is why we see a very positive review, then a semi negative review with the next person in line. OR is a personal fitted device...
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

Also something I often forget is that many people wear glasses. So it's possible that their vision with glasses on or off wasn't completely compatible with their choice of lens.
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

This article is from Reddit - they guy was at VR2013 and makes some observations about the 'bluriness' of the dev kit. His take is it might be more the cheap optics than the low-resolution screen.

http://blog.ruisystem.net/archives/277
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
Flim
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flim »

superbike81 wrote:Also something I often forget is that many people wear glasses. So it's possible that their vision with glasses on or off wasn't completely compatible with their choice of lens.

Ya, kind of like trying on another persons broken-in underwear.... It's not going to feel the same !
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

zebrastealer wrote:This article is from Reddit - they guy was at VR2013 and makes some observations about the 'bluriness' of the dev kit. His take is it might be more the cheap optics than the low-resolution screen.
Oh dear!
strangedays
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by strangedays »

I just thrashed around a racetrack banging into every wall I could before rolling the car over. I wonder why I am feeling a little queasy? :/
strangedays
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by strangedays »

and WTF!
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Regarding Norwegian/Swedish ice hockey, there just aren't those same type of fights you see
in the american hockey league.

The culture is so different here.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Fluke
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fluke »

V8Griff wrote:I'm not convinced about driving games. There was a driving game on the original Virtuality 1000SD ( that's why you sometimes see a cover with a wheel attached and pedals) but it never worked all that well as a VR game ... RPG and exploration games will be excellent
There was also Legend Quest around the same time, which was pretty much a RPG/exploration game (ish) but looking back without the old rose tinted specs, it was pretty bad in all honesty (my teenage self probably didn't think so at the time, but it was all new back then) with low detail, slow FPS, and bad lag. My point anyway is that saying how well a genre will work today in VR by comparing it to a 90s arcade one probably isn't a valid argument.
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

The absolute most important things for a driving/racing game is input lag, display latency, and head tracking latency. For the best experience, we need virtually zero lag from our steering wheel inputs, head movements, and as little ghosting as possible.

It seems like most of that is taken care of already in the dev kit and it will only get better.
Alejux
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alejux »

mattyeatsmatts wrote:
zebrastealer wrote:This article is from Reddit - they guy was at VR2013 and makes some observations about the 'bluriness' of the dev kit. His take is it might be more the cheap optics than the low-resolution screen.
Oh dear!
Is this control coming with the commercial version of the Rift?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Its a controller for The Cave.
Riftoholic

NiceGuyAndersson
One Eyed Hopeful

Will it be possible to watch the Oculus panels online somewhere?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Alejux wrote:Is this control coming with the commercial version of the Rift?
I think these guys scheduled the wrong convention. Shouldn't this be at AVN? :lol:
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

DaEmpty wrote:
At several points, my perspective "drifted," forcing Oculus to reset Hawken so that the Rift's’ line-of-sight lined up with my own.

Maybe it's a good idea to order a track ir and use the rift tracker only as fallback.
That's not what I wanted to hear. I thought the entire point of this whole rift thing of this was that we had rock solid tracking and any drift could be weeded out by the magnetometer. If that hasn't been fixed, I might as well just strap a wii motion plus to my head and call it good.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

NiceGuyAndersson wrote:Will it be possible to watch the Oculus panels online somewhere?
I'm also curious about this..
3usergreend
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3usergreend »

I don't understand why it's drifting. It has a compass which tells it which way North is at all times. Is there some magnetic interference? Or is the sensor fusion just not quite ready? Or is there some other bug in DriVR or the Unity integration that's causing it?
From http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/41477 ... #152187561 by the reporter (comments section):
As for the improvements, I think it’s a pretty short (but challenging) list:

a higher resolution screen with better color
improved head tracking to prevent “drift” (though Oculus suggested this is a problem for developers to solve)
Actual games (also a ball in the court of game developers)
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I could only speak for myself obviously, but I would easily pay 600 dollars for a 6.1" 2560x1600 OLED screen in a deluxe edition consumer Rift.
Riftoholic

TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Ericshelpdesk wrote:
DaEmpty wrote:

That's not what I wanted to hear. I thought the entire point of this whole rift thing of this was that we had rock solid tracking and any drift could be weeded out by the magnetometer. If that hasn't been fixed, I might as well just strap a wii motion plus to my head and call it good.
Another rumour set to spiral out of control :| The Rift contains a magnetometer and should not drift. Read more about the sensors here: http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/building-a ... atency-vr/
"Nevertheless, we can leverage the accelerometer to estimate the “down” vector and our magnetometer to measure strength and direction of the magnetic field. Combined, these allow for correction of drift in all three axes."

The Verge's article notes that there was drift, and in the comments it is written that "Oculus suggested this is a problem for developers to solve". I took this as meaning "Oculus suggested this was a bug for the developers of Hawken to fix". To believe anything else is to disregard all information regarding the sensors we have, and all previous demos of the Rift where there has not been a single report of drift. I can only assume something is up with Hawken's implementation.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Just a short comment to say that sensor fusion is incorporated into the SDK and is not something that we are asking developers to solve.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

brantlew wrote:Just a short comment to say that sensor fusion is incorporated into the SDK and is not something that we are asking developers to solve.
How hard will it be to get Oculus sensor fusion working on my Rasberry Pi? Are you providing source code? For now, my code is mouse controlled.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Have you at oculus checked the ingame FOV's of Hawken and DriVR? They seemed a bit high to me. If you have a wrong ingame FOV, the headtracking doesn't feel real and could be perceived as "drift".
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

NikoKun wrote:
NiceGuyAndersson wrote:Will it be possible to watch the Oculus panels online somewhere?
I'm also curious about this..
Not the GDC panels no, they stream them online after the show as part of the GDC Vault, but it's a pay service at ~500/person. not a bad gig if you're a real dev house, but a bit out of the range of the normal human
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.

Return to “Oculus VR”