one more reason to hate Nvidia

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

one more reason to hate Nvidia

Post by yuriythebest »

right, at first I was pissed that nvidia's stereo driver solution won't work with my geeforce 8600gts, and now I hear news that all series8 cards that predate the 8800 are all defective. all of them. period. just a matter of time before all/most die from heating issues.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... 84-g86-bad

now where did I put my pitchfork and torch?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

How could they design chips with such a low live expectation?
And the problem is now: how can you trust them anymore? Will their next chips be (much) better in surviving?

One guy said in UK there is a 7 year waranty! That is pretty long and I doubt most cards used regular would last that long. It's more like the card is worthless after that time...

In EU the warranty for electronics is at least 2 Years, which is something, but it might be too little...

I think the best option you have is to sell it asap. You could also underclock it after the warranty has expired...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Quadro line getting these issues?

Post by budda »

Does this mean the Nvidia Quadro workstation cards, which are based on the same gamer chips, will fail from heating problems too.

If so, I bet the premium charged by Nvidia for these boards will be questioned by high-end buyers as well.

Thanks.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

First of all, this is coming from The Inquirer, so take it with a grain of salt. They are hard-core ATI fanboys and will kick NV in the balls any chance they get.

Secondly, this is why I buy EVGA. Lifetime warranty! XFX offers double-lifetime warranty. Of course these are for US customers only, but still.

Thirdly, you get what you pay for. I feel bad for anyone that got burned, but that is why some people pay a premium for the top cards.

@budda: There are a few Quadros that run on the G84 chip, but I have no idea if they would be effected or not:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Quadro
Okta

Post by Okta »

Of course they did this on purpose so all there legacy cards capable of using there old 3d drivers would explode :twisted:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Okta wrote:Of course they did this on purpose so all there legacy cards capable of using there old 3d drivers would explode :twisted:
LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

cybereality wrote:
Okta wrote:Of course they did this on purpose so all there legacy cards capable of using there old 3d drivers would explode :twisted:
LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought g80 from e.g. 8800GTX were ok?
And also all series 7 cards should be ok, right?
I got one 7900gs burned after about 6-7 month, but it was still under waranty. All other cards I know of live (much) longer than their waranty of 2 years.

How long is livetime? Was it 30 years? After that time it wouldn't be a big loss - except you are waiting for it to become antique :D
ayqz1u0s

Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

I imagine that by the time large scale failure happens on those cards, they will be long outdated and worth $30 new... So, I don't consider it that big of a deal.

If they were failing in 30 days, that's different.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Welder wrote:I imagine that by the time large scale failure happens on those cards, they will be long outdated and worth $30 new... So, I don't consider it that big of a deal.

If they were failing in 30 days, that's different.
well how would you feel if a video card you bought like six months ago as top of the line is now "faulty, about to die, costs 30$"? On a lighter side seems all the panic is around the cards with the letter m like M8400, m8600, I have an NX 8600GTS and there has been no mention of NX thus far. so some light in the tunnel
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Well the mobile cards are especially effected, because they (and their fans!) are turned on and of a lot. That leads to rising and falling heat, which destroys it (so sais the article).
So if your waranty is over, just turn the pc on once per day and let the fan run constantly all the time...

They said it needs more energy, but since you don't run a notebook on battery life its not that bad...
ayqz1u0s

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”