Realistic Expectations Guys

oculusfan
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Realistic Expectations Guys

Post by oculusfan »

Thodder7 wrote: ...is PalmerTech, actually Palmer Lucky?...
The one and only. Neat huh?
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

:woot Very neat! :D

Glad to be part of these forums. Glad they reached out to Cyber!...
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Just reading Palmers comment, about taking care of that guys problem, shows the kind of person he is. Which gives me faith in the company. :D Can't wait to see what they have in store for us... It is an exciting time to be alive!
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

Thodder7 wrote:Just reading Palmers comment, about taking care of that guys problem, shows the kind of person he is. Which gives me faith in the company. :D Can't wait to see what they have in store for us... It is an exciting time to be alive!
+1

A great vibe from the Oculus guys...you can just sense the passion they have for their "hobby." Thankful also to be part of the conversation and maybe play even a small part in making Oculus' success a reality. Feel like a 42 year old kid. What fun! :D
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Thodder7 wrote: ...is PalmerTech, actually Palmer Lucky?...
He's actually Palmer Luckey. But yes, he's the creator of the Oculus Rift. He was a poster on these forums before he invented the Rift, and he still posts here when he's not super-busy. Or when he is super-busy but is prepared to sacrifice some more sleep. You can read his old posts here talking about his early designs for the Rift.
PalmerTech wrote:That is one of the reasons we have been working nonstop on our new Developer Center, which has forums, downloads, a support ticket system, etc. It is launching very soon, nothing should be able to slip through that.
That's so great! I'm really looking forward to that! I hope the beta testing is going well.
PalmerTech wrote:We are on the cusp of shipping units, launching our SDK, announcing a pile of sweet stuff, and running our first "real" presence at a show, GDC.
That's awesome and very exciting! I loved how your fake presences stole the show at the previous shows, and outdid all the real presences.

If people want to know if they're getting Doom 3, it's easy: If your Order ID is less than 21000 (or you ordered before December) then you are certainly getting Doom 3 BFG (even if the order IDs aren't 1:1, it's impossible for someone to make an order without getting an Order ID, so there can't be more than a 1000 orders in that range). If your Order ID is more than 21000 then I can't be 100% sure, but you probably aren't getting Doom 3 BFG since the Order IDs seem either 1:1 or close to that.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Thodder7 wrote:Just reading Palmers comment, about taking care of that guys problem, shows the kind of person he is. Which gives me faith in the company. :D Can't wait to see what they have in store for us... It is an exciting time to be alive!
You might not be aware of it but the Oculus Rift actually started in this forum.
You should read this ( http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=14777 ).

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Tirregius wrote:
+1

A great vibe from the Oculus guys...you can just sense the passion they have for their "hobby." Thankful also to be part of the conversation and maybe play even a small part in making Oculus' success a reality. Feel like a 42 year old kid. What fun! :D
I agree Tirregius, Its exciting... and I will do whatever possible... give feedback on forums etc, to make this a success!... This community is making a life long dream of mine, finally a reality... and it is not just the oculus guys that give a great vibe, but everyone here on the forums, and everyone whos part of this community. :D
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

You might not be aware of it but the Oculus Rift actually started in this forum.
You should read this ( http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=14777 ).
Thanks I will check this out for sure!
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

how to get doom 3 BFG (rift ready version) if you are not a kicker starter backer?
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Couldn't resist. ;)
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

cert wrote:how to get doom 3 BFG (rift ready version) if you are not a kicker starter backer?
Palmer once said in an interview it is going to work with the regular version.
He didn´t specify how but it probably going to be trough a patch.

IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Which interview did you see that?
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

IGameArt wrote:Which interview did you see that?
I honestly don´t know in which he mentioned it, because watched every single one on YouTube.
But if I remember correctly the interview was something like this:

Palmer: On our Kickstarter people could order the dev kit and Doom 3 BFG for 300$
Interviewer: So now that your Kickstarter is over can we still order the rift?
Palmer: Yes, you can order the kit on our website.
Interviewer: Is it also going to include Doom 3 BFG?
Palmer: No, we did that just for the first few orders to ease the transition from the Kickstarter.
Palmer: But what does Doom cost nowadays, like 10 bucks? You can buy it seperatly.

I am now going to look for the video and I will post it once I have found it.

diwata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by diwata »

I remember that too but I think it was the demo guy (Nate?) that said it.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

I found it!
http://youtu.be/KJo12Hz_BVI?t=9m24s

But I was mistaken, it´s not Palmer saying it.

marbas

Post by marbas »

Marulu wrote:
IGameArt wrote:Which interview did you see that?
I honestly don´t know in which he mentioned it, because watched every single one on YouTube.
But if I remember correctly the interview was something like this:

Palmer: On our Kickstarter people could order the dev kit and Doom 3 BFG for 300$
Interviewer: So now that your Kickstarter is over can we still order the rift?
Palmer: Yes, you can order the kit on our website.
Interviewer: Is it also going to include Doom 3 BFG?
Palmer: No, we did that just for the first few orders to ease the transition from the Kickstarter.
Palmer: But what does Doom cost nowadays, like 10 bucks? You can buy it seperatly.

I am now going to look for the video and I will post it once I have found it.
Hmmm... I want to make a Jeopardy-like game with VR questions only. Could be fun...while we wait.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

PalmerTech wrote: That is one of the reasons we have been working nonstop on our new Developer Center, which has forums, downloads, a support ticket system, etc. It is launching very soon, nothing should be able to slip through that. Try to remember that we are still a tiny company, and the people who do customer support have to wear a lot of other hats. We are on the cusp of shipping units, launching our SDK, announcing a pile of sweet stuff, and running our first "real" presence at a show, GDC. I promise that your email was not ignored on purpose, and lots of people with your same question have gotten a response.
That sounds very promising, I never expected my mail to be ignored on purpose. I just knew that there are still holes in the system, and that is a bad thing. If you are on your way of closing them, awesome.
I just tend to go with "they just ignore the problem because they focus on awesome VR". If you don't, I will stop mention it ... for a month or so. :mrgreen:

And thanks for being that involved in such things.

@marbas - that would be fun and educating for people like me that have ignored VR for the last decade. please do :)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

marbas wrote:Hmmm... I want to make a Jeopardy-like game with VR questions only. Could be fun...while we wait.
Sounds interesting, I would love to participate.
But everyone knows, Palmer is going to win.

marbas

Post by marbas »

GeraldT wrote:@marbas - that would be fun and educating for people like me that have ignored VR for the last decade. please do :)
Yeah, I wonder if this could work as a game for the Rift... in 3D. With first person view and all that. Or make it a simple DOS style game?
Wanna contribute with questions and answers (anyone)?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

marbas wrote:
GeraldT wrote:@marbas - that would be fun and educating for people like me that have ignored VR for the last decade. please do :)
Yeah, I wonder if this could work as a game for the Rift... in 3D. With first person view and all that. Or make it a simple DOS style game?
Wanna contribute with questions and answers (anyone)?
Here's a multiple choice question:
What's Palmer's surname?
a) Lucky
b) Palmer
c) Luckey
d) Tech
cert wrote:how to get doom 3 BFG (rift ready version) if you are not a kicker starter backer?
It doesn't matter whether you're a kickstarter or not, because the first 1000 preorders also get it. If your Order ID is less than 21000 you will get it. If not, you can just buy the game however you like. I don't think there will be a special Rift version, just the main version will get an update.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

I swear I remember hearing that JC was providing copies of Doom BFG for the first 100 kickstarter backers only?
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Here is another question:

Question: Who is the reason the Rift became what it is today.
Answer: John Carmack

marbas

Post by marbas »

Marulu wrote:Here is another question:

Question: Who is the reason the Rift became what it is today.
Answer: John Carmack
Id say Palmer Luckey is the right answer;)
Thanks for suggestions! Maybe I should start a new thread for this.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Diorama wrote:I swear I remember hearing that JC was providing copies of Doom BFG for the first 100 kickstarter backers only?
That's right. But Oculus is providing copies of Doom BFG for all the other kickstarter backers and for the first 1000 pre-orders.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

marbas wrote:Id say Palmer Luckey is the right answer;)
Palmer wanted to release it as a build it your self kit only for the members of this forum at first, and then Carmack appeared and changed everything by adding a tracker and writing software for it. Carmack is also the only reason the Rift was able to become this well known in such a short time.

LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

Trick question, there isn't a single right answer.
marbas

Post by marbas »

Ok Guys, I started a new thread about JeopardyVR were we can discuss this further.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

i was wrong about a few things and overreacted sorry.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

I think this is one of those rare things where its ok to believe the hype. I think the reason it seems like Oculus is "hyping things" is because they have a right to. all the feedback mostly have been great and the minor issues (the screen) i think are smaller things that once we get used to working with it will not be a huge problem

plus we have to understand this is the DEV KIT and is not the final consumer version we should be so thankful that it is going to be a well done factory made kit (with a nice case too) how many other startups offer something like that for just 300 bucks? and "Dev Kits" that arent overpriced simply because they are "dev kits".

it will take time to get used to the unit and to get used to working to make content for it. It will require new thinking and thats not a bad thing the Dev Center hopefully will be an awesome resource for infomation and to connect with others.

I cant wait!

Oops sorry for the double post didnt realize my last comment was the last post so far oops!
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Evenios wrote:Stuff where the penny finally dropped!
Shame it's taken you 136 posts to realise all that.

Can you now convert the other naysayers on here who don't 'get it' just yet?

;)

Return to “Oculus VR”