Mark Rein News?

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Mark Rein News?

Post by Neil »

Did you guys read today's news story by any chance?

Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Lol, Rein is always saying wild stuff just to stir the pot. I guess there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?

I hear what he is saying, but both SEGA and Nintendo had shutter-glasses for the 8-bit console systems long before Epic was even founded. If you want to get technical, there were 3d glasses even for the Vectrex. So this is certainly nothing new, but I don't get what is dumb about it. I just don't understand why all the big developers just pan S3D any chance they get. Like, all he had to say was that Gears of War is already S3D on the PC. That was all he had to say. People would have been excited, it could have made him money, yet he wastes the opportunity. At least he qualifies the answer, but even so, its yet another missed opportunity.

Upon further review, it seems the interviewer is being somewhat leading. Where is the actual question regarding S3D? Its just a bit of a set-up the way it trails off at the end.
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

I have a strange feeling it was, what he meant and then realised that he could of put it into much better context..

In some ways Ubisoft in my eyes would be made if they released the game expecting everyone to buy a new monitor/tv. If I was to have to buy a new tv for my front room to play with my console I would have to sell my 37" phillips LCD, and its only 1 and a half years old. :(

but then like beowolf someone somewhere has to be brave and fingers crossed Ubisoft will deliver :)
Neil

Post by Neil »

No. Mark was sincerely shocked by what they printed. His point was that in the PC market at least, a lot of hoopla is being placed on stereoscopic 3D gaming as if it was never done before (e.g. Ubisoft's Avatar). However, they took his remarks and made it as though he was blasting the whole S-3D industry as being "dumb". Now if you Google "Mark Rein" and "stereoscopic", you get misquoted "dumb" flagged articles.

He CC'd me in with the submitted correction to Gameindustry.biz articles, and even in their final updated version they did not include the bulk of the positive things he had to say about stereoscopic 3D technology. I won't write them here, but I think the most interesting stuff was left on the cutting room floor.

I think it's really positive that Mark made the efforts that he did to correct the issue, and our industry has exciting times ahead.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well its good to see that he followed up with a correction.

Its easy to take things out of context, especially for a writer looking to juice up a story. So I can see that angle too. I kind of figured as much by the way the "question" was worded.

As long as people are talking about S3D, I'm happy. Even if they are talking trash its better then them acting like it doesn't exist. Just my 2 cents.
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

"Rein revealed that the Unreal Engine 3 already supported S-3D technology but that he didn’t expect it to gain widespread acceptance"

What?

Did they contribute in some way to IZ3D's drivers? Just because IZ3D got it to work with their drivers does NOT make this a fair statement.

It should be changed to "the Unreal Engine 3 IS already supported BY S-3D technology"

the way it was printed implies that they had a hand in making it S-3D when in fact, the unreal 3 engine is one of the most S-3D unfriendly engines out there. All they had to do was let us turn off post processing in the .cfg file but they couldn’t be bothered with that.

Unless something has changed?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

genetic wrote:the way it was printed implies that they had a hand in making it S-3D when in fact, the unreal 3 engine is one of the most S-3D unfriendly engines out there.
Traditionally, Epic has been very good about making their games work with S3D. I'm pretty sure they've worked with 3rd party vendors in the past to ensure S3D compatibility back since UE1.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

well it's still not working with any NV driver, or did I miss something?
Maybe the most they did was to render correctly. There were some games wery bad coded in the beginning (Earth 2150 had floating buildings :D)
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

LukePC1 wrote:well it's still not working with any NV driver, or did I miss something?
You didn't miss anything. The NV driver still has issues with UE3. I think Rein was referring to the iz3D driver. UT2004 and other older titles do work great in S3D though.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”