Demo a rift devkit?

Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Re: Demo a rift devkit?

Post by Unclebob »

WormSlayer wrote:Bristol, UK here. Should be getting my Rift in the first batch and I'm willing to let people have a go :)
Al rite me luver... gurt great bout da rift.

Ex Bristol boy now in Brighton.

Snow day today.

Likely to be in second batch but hit me up if you are local.

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Unclebob wrote: Ex Bristol boy now in Brighton.
Ah I'm local to you..... not :roll:

Preston, Lancashire :D

It would be interesting to know how many are coming to the UK.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

V8Griff wrote:
Unclebob wrote: Ex Bristol boy now in Brighton.
Ah I'm local to you..... not :roll:

Preston, Lancashire :D

It would be interesting to know how many are coming to the UK.
Pity mate else we could have taken my DIY rift down the pub.

Works quite well with 3d videos and https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... _lab&hl=en

Well I noticed a couple of others saying they were Brighton based so I thought I'd make the offer if I receive mine first.

Have a Nexus 7 based DIY Rift which was fun for a while but need the real thing now as after a certain point the tinkering just won't bring the improvements that I suspect will define the rift.

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
mrklaw
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mrklaw »

Unclebob wrote:
WormSlayer wrote:Bristol, UK here. Should be getting my Rift in the first batch and I'm willing to let people have a go :)
Al rite me luver... gurt great bout da rift.

Ex Bristol boy now in Brighton.

Snow day today.

Likely to be in second batch but hit me up if you are local.

UB

Ex brighton boy, now living in Windsor, but working in Bristol :P

And no you can't play on my rift - I don't even have a PC that can drive it yet!
Itinerati
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Itinerati »

Cymatic wrote:Added myself to the map, I am in the south bay area and wouldn't mind hosting for demos. Aug 1st Kickstarter backer, so early batch (hopefully).

It would be cool to maybe partner with a few other bay area dev kit owners and have a "Rift Social." Anyone interested?
If we do it in the City or somewhere a bit higher up the peninsula, I'd be up for it. Also an August 1st backer, so just hoping it arrives before I leave on vacation at the end of the month :)
Cymatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cymatic »

Itinerati wrote: If we do it in the City or somewhere a bit higher up the peninsula, I'd be up for it. Also an August 1st backer, so just hoping it arrives before I leave on vacation at the end of the month :)
Nice! I'll PM you, maybe we can brainstorm some possible locations.
Cymatic Bruce, VR Evangelist, Developer Relations @ Qualia3d
hal10000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hal10000 »

Denver as well and I still haven't had to try a rift. I went ahead and bought one anyway because I am so excited for this tech! I'm also using it as an excuse for a new machine. Fun days lie ahead!
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

hal10000 wrote:Denver as well and I still haven't had to try a rift. I went ahead and bought one anyway because I am so excited for this tech! I'm also using it as an excuse for a new machine. Fun days lie ahead!
Woo-hoo, Denver! I'll be PMing you.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Another UK backer, this one's coming to Edinburgh, Scotland though. I've tagged myself at the university. I'll probably organise some sort of demo with gamesoc or gamedevsoc (societies for playing and making games respectively) at the uni, so PM me if you want me to keep you posted.

Failing that I could always bring it to the pub with my laptop :)

I'm one of the first kickstarter backers, but will have to wait on the US->UK delivery.
Malfate
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Malfate »

I preorderd Aug 12ish. Have two units inc

Dallas, TX. Will demo it out once i get it :) feel free to contact
littleme02
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by littleme02 »

jaybug wrote:There's at least 2 other Norwegians on this forum as well ;)

Damn you for trying to undercut my services :P

Make that 3, I'm from Stavanger
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

I live in the California Central coast and work at UCSB (added to map). I'm a pre-kickstarter so should get it soonish with the first batch and wouldn't mind showing anyone in the area when I get it, just PM me on the forums.
marbas

Post by marbas »

littleme02 wrote:

+1 from Sauda, Norway ;)

I'm going to do some vr demoing for the maritime industry to investigate the possibility of the Rift being used in simulator/serious-games types of applications. Im also in the process of starting a game company with the aim of creating native vr games. The first game is well underway and is called FlymachineVR. The guys at Oculus have seen a sneak peak. They like it ;)
littleme02
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by littleme02 »

marbas wrote:
littleme02 wrote:

+1 from Sauda, Norway ;)

I'm going to do some vr demoing for the maritime industry to investigate the possibility of the Rift being used in simulator/serious-games types of applications. Im also in the process of starting a game company with the aim of creating native vr games. The first game is well underway and is called FlymachineVR. The guys at Oculus have seen a sneak peak. They like it ;)
Sounds interesting, care to let me have a peek when I get my rift?

I'm going to hack it into working with my quad copter
marbas

Post by marbas »

littleme02 wrote:Sounds interesting, care to let me have a peek when I get my rift?

I'm going to hack it into working with my quad copter
Thanks for your interest. It's going to be a while longer before I start releasing public test versions and videos.
Zhin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zhin »

I'll be offering demos in Gothenburg, Sweden
WormSlayer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WormSlayer »

So many people in Europe on the map! Almost as many pins in UK as entire USA!
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Hello Everyone ! (1st post on this forum)

I am surprised I am the first and only one in Paris... (??)
Anyway, I will update when the rift is here.
( I am an "Indie" )

Ol
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Fredz wrote:I've created an "Oculus Rift demoers" map on Google Maps. Feel free to add yourself, it should be editable by anyone :
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... d41543084a

I've added myself with my forum/kickstarter nick in the title and my backing date and a text saying I'm open for demoing around Perpignan, France in the description. I didn't add the precise location of where I live though, I'm not that adventurous, I pinned the train station instead. :P
moving the google map up to the current page, it's getting lost back there on page 3
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

WormSlayer wrote:So many people in Europe on the map! Almost as many pins in UK as entire USA!
we are just less scared that someone will gun us down and take our Rift :lol:
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Somebody moved my location to Tennessee? I just moved myself back to Tulsa.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

KBK wrote:moving the google map up to the current page, it's getting lost back there on page 3
You should ask xhonzi, he's the one who initiated the thread.
oculusfan wrote:Somebody moved my location to Tennessee? I just moved myself back to Tulsa.
Yeah that's the problem with Google Maps, anyone can modify what has been done. It happened to someone else in Spain but he's corrected that it seems. If anyone knows a way to prevent this or another map utility feel free to tell.
OlivierJT wrote:Hello Everyone ! (1st post on this forum)
I guess Frenchies are not very keen to demo the Rift to unknown people. Same for US people I guess.
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Added myself near Washington DC. Only one so far in that area.

I can't believe how many Europeans there are!
nvman90
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nvman90 »

Pre-Kickstarter supporter in the bay area peninsula (redwood city), I may be open to demoing after a few days of having it all to myself.

I should start configuring games and installing necessary mods in preparation for the delivery!
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

The guys at Oculus VR promoted the demo map on their official Twitter account.
https://twitter.com/Oculus3D/status/311561321604841473

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Saw it on Facebook as well.
Bloump
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bloump »

Hello! .. i couldn't find the presentation thread because is my first message.. so i'll start here. :mrgreen:
by saying if there's anyone in italy around Milan, i'd happily demo the rift to anyone, (already added myself to the google map) 8-) *

P.s eventually sorry for actual grammar errors (and for future ones too :lol: )
*ordered from website on 10 february, expecting it the first two weeks of may
wavefunction
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wavefunction »

I'm willing to demo my dev kit as well! I'm in Seoul. I might be the only person in this country to have ordered one who speaks English.

If anyone is interested, drop me a line.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Zhin wrote:I'll be offering demos in Gothenburg, Sweden
Might pay you a visit : p
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

wavefunction wrote:I'm willing to demo my dev kit as well! I'm in Seoul. I might be the only person in this country to have ordered one who speaks English.

If anyone is interested, drop me a line.
I wondered where all the Koreans were. How is the 오큘러스 리프트 going over there? Does "오큘러스" still have an office there? Are there Korean websites full of anxiously waiting Korean 오큘러스 리프트 fans? Are Korean developers excited about it?
slangarang
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by slangarang »

I don't know about many of you but demoing a rift isn't something I plan to do in my home.

For two reasons
1. My home really isn't a good venue for it
2. There's people who I want to see it who might not commit to traveling to my home

All of that said I have a few questions

-Is anyone worried about demo-ing and having the person you're showing the rift too not want to leave vr? I can't help but wonder if there's going to be instances of having to "pry" this off more excited users faces...
-Following that line of thought I'm wondering if Oculus has done any drop testing on the rift as prototyped. This thing is apt to get dinged up over the course of the next several months from eager developers clumsy users and carting it around
-Has anyone found a good case for a single rift? I was thinking of picking up a pelican case to throw it in so I wont worry about carting it to and from work/demos
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Fredz wrote:
KBK wrote:moving the google map up to the current page, it's getting lost back there on page 3
You should ask xhonzi, he's the one who initiated the thread.
Fixed. Well... sort of.
Sabrewolf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabrewolf »

Anyone in the South Eastern United States getting One? I'm Dieing to Demo the Oculus Rift. I will pay to play if need be.
Anyone in Atlanta on the forms getting a Dev kit particularly?
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I'll try to link the map on each page.

Link to Google Map of folks willing to demo the Rift:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... d41543084a
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

slangarang wrote:-Is anyone worried about demo-ing and having the person you're showing the rift to not want to leave vr? I can't help but wonder if there's going to be instances of having to "pry" this off more excited users' faces...
I figure they'll get hungry or thirsty after a few hours and have to take it off. If not... they are quite vulnerable while in the Rift, so I'm sure there's something I could do to get them to take it off, like tickling them. Or there's the traditional trick of just pulling the plug (that might not work on Notch though).
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

2EyeGuy wrote:
slangarang wrote:... there's the traditional trick of just pulling the plug (that might not work on Notch though).
:lol: :woot
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Metathias
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Metathias »

Hey guys Live in Dallas, TX. Not really worried about demoing peoples units, But VR lans and such could be pretty fun
and educational. Im no more than a hobbyist at this point, but genuinely passionate about learning how to develop
with this hardware. I'd like to see community oriented projects built around VR. I think the more we share (atleast
as far as us little guys) the faster all of us can benefit from this cutting edge technology. For those who cant be local
and still like to collaborate and learn im hoping that these message boards (or maybe Oculus own development site)
and the (shameless plug) IRC channel can facilitate that.
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

2EyeGuy wrote:
slangarang wrote:-Is anyone worried about demo-ing and having the person you're showing the rift to not want to leave vr? I can't help but wonder if there's going to be instances of having to "pry" this off more excited users' faces...
I figure they'll get hungry or thirsty after a few hours and have to take it off. If not... they are quite vulnerable while in the Rift, so I'm sure there's something I could do to get them to take it off, like tickling them. Or there's the traditional trick of just pulling the plug (that might not work on Notch though).
You could always demo with a laptop at a coffee shop, then if someone is getting too friendly with your Rift you have backup.
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

slangarang wrote:I don't know about many of you but demoing a rift isn't something I plan to do in my home.

For two reasons
1. My home really isn't a good venue for it
2. There's people who I want to see it who might not commit to traveling to my home

All of that said I have a few questions

-Is anyone worried about demo-ing and having the person you're showing the rift too not want to leave vr? I can't help but wonder if there's going to be instances of having to "pry" this off more excited users faces...
-Following that line of thought I'm wondering if Oculus has done any drop testing on the rift as prototyped. This thing is apt to get dinged up over the course of the next several months from eager developers clumsy users and carting it around
-Has anyone found a good case for a single rift? I was thinking of picking up a pelican case to throw it in so I wont worry about carting it to and from work/demos
I have sorta the same issue. If you are very dedicated, you can meet up with a group of friends/acquaintances at a centralized place. I wouldn't mind doing that myself actually but no one has messaged me where I live (dfw - dallas/ft worth texas) yet.
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Eugene area in Oregon, probably too busy to really give demos though. Going to be taking some random game development classes in my free time in the next few months at a nearby college, so I'll probably be showing off the rift to a large amount of people there.

Return to “Oculus VR”