Microsoft has experimented with 3D games

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Microsoft has experimented with 3D games

Post by staticbuddha »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/m ... s-satchell

Link to a news article - dosnt say much but gives console lovers so 3D hope :)
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Interesting. I always thought MS is very conservative or mainstream...

It could be good for sales to bring out a X360 - stereo. It would contain newest hardware, so all standard 3D games could be rendered with two pictures, so it wouldn't be any performance loss and would run with all the games out there.

Sounds possible, but will they implement it for their current console?
Or would they make it for windows (DX10 or DX11) first?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I'm not surprised. Microsoft works on many innovative R&D products, but then only releases the mainstream stuff (see MS Surface, etc.). But like Apple they take out a lot of patents and try to think ahead. Somehow I doubt S3D will make it into the Xbox360. Not because of technical limitations, but because the console market isn't ready yet. The consoles will go S3D only when the PC platform has solid S3D support. Stereo3D needs to be big enough that it will draw gamers away from console to the PC, just like the original 3D accelerator cards did back in the 16-bit console era. Right now the S3D industry is all over the place, and it won't be mainstream until all these hardware and software issues are dealt with.

Hopefully MS will be forward-thinking enough to add native S3D to DX11 (too late for DX10, unless they do a DX10.2 but I dunno). Then they could have S3D in Windows7 and also the Xbox720. I imagine there might be a few S3D games released (like the Avatar game) but I don't think it will be enough to shift the industry. For example, EA's Boogie shipped with anaglyph glasses for a few consoles and honestly no one even noticed. So it needs to be a big franchise, like Gears of War 3D or something. But I would have to agree with Chris Satchell, the technical limitations of shutter-glasses (not working with LCDs, etc.) have effectively killed the mainstream market during this transition to HDTV. So, realistically, the HD market would need to have completely won before we can move on to the next phase, which is 3DHD. Until then we will probably have to make due on the PC platform.
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

I don' t know... I was wondering if Sony will announce anything at this E3...
They have Ridge Racer 7 in S-3D which seems to work with standard TVs... and tdvision declared in an interview they were going to bring S-3D onto ps3 with a firmware update, by the end of this year...I don' t know if this will regard movies only (the first S-3D bluray, "Hanna Montana", is coming on 19th of July...and I think they are using tdvision codec).
Let' s see!
E3 could be a possibility, but they should tell everybody they might have to change their brand new TVs...and I don' t think it' s a good idea. Maybe they will make the announcement in some Sony Day :?:
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

my view only :)

I feel that the problem is the money isnt in the Pc maket its in the console market. The fact that any game released on a PC is around £15 + more on a console and the fact you cant play copied games on a console without being your serial numbe being barred means that more money can be made out of a console release then PC. PS Im a more PC fan then a Console fan it just my view :)

PS Try and get GTA4 on a PC ,,, the bigest game of the year ,

MS has just released a few weeks back that its letting 3rd party companys use the xbox to how they more or less like and release equipment on it as long as they pay some cash to MS. This could man bif things for S3D, however my few is we wil only see copied WII remotes this time around (E3)

I think the xbox 360 or the next gen console will defo tke on 3D, but they want you to have a autostereo TV in your front room before this happens. They know us mstbs3d.com ould wear glasses even if they were pink and fluffy as long as they gave us 3D. but the fact is your brother, sister and your mum and dad aint gonna.... Damm you family....

PS a little drunk by the ay if im rambling on...

I can only dream that at E3.... will 3D be announced for the 360... but dreaming on it will only be ,, lets see what happens net year :)
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Someone told me that Taz: Wanted had a secret anaglyph mode as well.

*cough*

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”