Oculus Rift: Driving PC hardware?

squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Oculus Rift: Driving PC hardware?

Post by squibbfire »

PasticheDonkey wrote:
squibbfire wrote:Yes but no on was jumping on the playstation band wagon the first few years
Many just went out and purchased the next nintendo console like it was expected of them.

To them...the Sony Playstation like the nerdy quiet girl at the back of the party...well a few years later that nerdy girl...started to show off them tattoos and how fun she was ...and thats when all the boys wanted to play.
your saying no one bought the playstation early even tho it sold about 80 mil in the end. it was the thing it was the hip thing. wipeouts part of that. the music, the style it was all upstream from anything else that was available at the time. and a reasonable cost cd player. playstation was games for the average teen when that hadn't been availiable before. it hugely expanded the market. N64 sold 20 mill.
No not really it was one of the slowest starting systems but finished great......And wipeout only sold...what 1.5 million? and thats only because it was a bundled game...I actually saw it as the freebie game that collected dust...along with bandicot...When tomb raider, resident evil, gran turismo and final fantasy came out...thats what things started to get crazy. Those games were system sellers but then didnt really catch on till year 2 or year 3 after the systems release. The few years before ps2 came out were record years...even the year ps2 came out people still were buying those damn little gray\white boxes! haha
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

If oculus takes off ill bet video card vendors will make oculus ready or even oculus optimized video cards!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

squibbfire wrote:...When tomb raider, resident evil, gran turismo and final fantasy came out...thats what things started to get crazy. Those games were system sellers but then didnt really catch on till year 2 or year 3 after the systems release. The few years before ps2 came out were record years...even the year ps2 came out people still were buying those damn little gray\white boxes! haha
I can't remember how it went in my case.

I purchased a Voodoo 3D card and got Tomb Raider bundled with it. If I'm not mistaken it was $299.

Tomb Raider MAY have been what made me decide to buy a 3D card or maybe I bought the 3D card bundled with Tomb Raider (I remember the bundle) and THEN fell in love with Tomb Raider. Can't remember which way it happened.
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Direlight »

also when it come to ouya i don't see the point of running android stuff rather than pc stuff on the big screen at the moment.
PC doesn't get every title, especially fighting games and platformers. PC still gets some games like that though. Ouya might get some fun 2 player games too. I plan to get the stereo 3d version.

100 bucks for dozens of new games to choose from, and a controller? Sold. I all ready use this.

http://www.bluestacks.com/
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Pingles wrote:
squibbfire wrote:...When tomb raider, resident evil, gran turismo and final fantasy came out...thats what things started to get crazy. Those games were system sellers but then didnt really catch on till year 2 or year 3 after the systems release. The few years before ps2 came out were record years...even the year ps2 came out people still were buying those damn little gray\white boxes! haha
I can't remember how it went in my case.

I purchased a Voodoo 3D card and got Tomb Raider bundled with it. If I'm not mistaken it was $299.

Tomb Raider MAY have been what made me decide to buy a 3D card or maybe I bought the 3D card bundled with Tomb Raider (I remember the bundle) and THEN fell in love with Tomb Raider. Can't remember which way it happened.

haha you tried it on someone elses computer prolly...then the addiction set it...ahh yes...the voodoo 3d ..the card that changed it all! that card was around 80 bucks and it was still freaking awesome....you couldnt go wrong!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

PasticheDonkey wrote:
squibbfire wrote:Yes but no on was jumping on the playstation band wagon the first few years
Many just went out and purchased the next nintendo console like it was expected of them.

To them...the Sony Playstation like the nerdy quiet girl at the back of the party...well a few years later that nerdy girl...started to show off them tattoos and how fun she was ...and thats when all the boys wanted to play.
your saying no one bought the playstation early even tho it sold about 80 mil in the end. it was the thing it was the hip thing. wipeouts part of that. the music, the style it was all upstream from anything else that was available at the time. and a reasonable cost cd player. playstation was games for the average teen when that hadn't been availiable before. it hugely expanded the market. N64 sold 20 mill.

here's the story in graph form Image
see how N64 never sold more than playstation at any point. so i think the lets compare PC to N64 price thing is moot.

No because 64 sold...32 million.....according to that graph they sold 8 million..

Your graph is whack...

There is so much that happened that it doesnt show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

OK we need to get back to oculus talk...no console wars! we can start another thread for that...buried somewhere in the forum.
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Pyry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyry »

We'll see on Feb. 20th (maybe), but I wouldn't bet on Sony taking any huge risks in hardware, especially given the underwhelming sales of the PlayStation move. My guess would be that this upcoming generation of consoles is going to try to emphasize 'social' and 'mobile', and I'm not sure if VR fits into that strategy. It seems more likely that Sony will introduce something similar to the Wii-U's dual screen setup. Likewise, Microsoft seems to be betting a lot on the success of Windows 8, and so my suspicion is that they will try to use the next XBox to promote tablet sales (by letting people use their Windows 8 tablets as controllers, probably).
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Pyry wrote:We'll see on Feb. 20th (maybe), but I wouldn't bet on Sony taking any huge risks in hardware, especially given the underwhelming sales of the PlayStation move. My guess would be that this upcoming generation of consoles is going to try to emphasize 'social' and 'mobile', and I'm not sure if VR fits into that strategy. It seems more likely that Sony will introduce something similar to the Wii-U's dual screen setup. Likewise, Microsoft seems to be betting a lot on the success of Windows 8, and so my suspicion is that they will try to use the next XBox to promote tablet sales (by letting people use their Windows 8 tablets as controllers, probably).

I hope not...It sounds like Wii U is bombing. And windows8+gaming might be a scary thing in a bad way. I think Sony needs to stick with what it does best...good content.
Last edited by squibbfire on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Pyry wrote:We'll see on Feb. 20th (maybe), but I wouldn't bet on Sony taking any huge risks in hardware, especially given the underwhelming sales of the PlayStation move. My guess would be that this upcoming generation of consoles is going to try to emphasize 'social' and 'mobile', and I'm not sure if VR fits into that strategy. It seems more likely that Sony will introduce something similar to the Wii-U's dual screen setup. Likewise, Microsoft seems to be betting a lot on the success of Windows 8, and so my suspicion is that they will try to use the next XBox to promote tablet sales (by letting people use their Windows 8 tablets as controllers, probably).
Deeper in is the only way to go. HMD VR brings that to the table. Anything else is a waste of time, IMO.

That the Oculus dials the thing UP, not down, or sideways.

I mean... what? COD5? COD6?

Black ops 27?

They're moving from the up column to the loss (down) column. Business is money over time, not profit. It's about how much cash flows through in a given amount of time. The push on the playstation 4 is slow in coming as the rise to the profit point may be even slower that that of the PS3. Which is going to be wholly unacceptable for Sony, IMO. And microsoft can't wait to push them into the ditch. The microsoft players, IMO, as a case view of psychology , seems to be able to better handle repetition, and the PS3 crowd, slightly less happy with repetition. Thus Sony buyers will suffer less repetition over that of Microsoft (XBOX) customers.

I'd almost be willing to bet my bottom dollar, that right now, that this surprise hit with Oculus, is having Sony and Microsoft dump lots of research and effort into wide FOV HMD, right now.

And in the meantime, that the Oculus will be driving the HMD market for PC's.

Since Oculus is independent, that is where I'll be concentrating my efforts, with regard to help. I'm not interested in the corporations and how they work, and they're not interested in me. I don't conform to their model.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Pyry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyry »

Oh, and 'cloud', I forgot 'cloud'. Sony bought Gaikai (an OnLive competitor), NVidia has their project shield, and the Wii-U already has (short range) game streaming.

I wouldn't bet on them pouring money into VR research. Keep in mind that the Rift has sold 'only' 10,000 developer units; in contrast, Nintendo is disappointed in its 16 million Wii-U sales because it was expecting somewhere around 24 million sold. They're probably taking a cautious wait-and-see approach to VR, because if the Rift does well, they can always buy Oculus or worst case, license whatever technology is covered by patents.

If anything, I would expect Sony and Microsoft to see the Ouya as a bigger threat/opportunity than the Rift; after all, it has sold 60,000+ preorder units, is promising to be sold in Best Buy, runs the same mobile apps that are already eating into the consoles' sales, and will be a third of their price.
bugnguts
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bugnguts »

I built a new computer last spring and wanted to try 3D vision. I purchased a 560ti and it played Skyrim great until the High-Res pack was released. I knew I should have been a little more patient because SSD prices dropped big by summer and that incrdible 6xx nVidia series was pretty rockin. I picked up a gtx670 for $330 going a little all out. This was not for the Oculus, but when I first saw the HMD and found they were suggesting 60+fps I just smiled and was very glad I got the 670. So if I had not already upgraded I would have for the Oculus, and if need I can SLI an run anything pretty nicely for 4 years or so.
ICEMANPAULWALL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ICEMANPAULWALL »

Pyry wrote:
Nintendo is disappointed in its 16 million Wii-U sales because it was expecting somewhere around 24 million sold. .
Where did you get that number. They wanted to sell 5.5 mil in 2012 and dropped it to 4. http://wiiudaily.com/2013/02/wii-u-sold ... -analysts/

Ouya as a threat to Sony and Microsoft :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Of course the next gen consoles are coming soon, and they will be popular. I don't know exact specs, but I assume they will be able to render Unreal Engine 4 at full speeds. So we are talking something competitive to current mid/high-end PCs. And this will obviously translate into better PC games, since the bar will have risen.

But the big issue is that consoles are a closed platform. On the PC anybody can bring out a piece of hardware, release some software or an SDK, etc. without any gate-keepers. Its just way more conducive to the kind of experimentation needed for VR. For example, look at the Half-Life 2 mod. You could never pull that off on a console. So it doesn't really matter how powerful the next Xbox/PS4 is because it won't be ripe for VR experimentation. At least in the near-term, PC is where it going to be at.

I bet most developers that bought dev-kits probably have decent rigs already. And its a great excuse to upgrade, for sure, if your PC is aging. When the consumer Rift comes out I think you may see a good amount of people actually buying new PCs just to experience VR. I think it will be that compelling. I'm not sure at this point if that will cause a resurgence of PC gaming, or if its enough to boost Nvidia/AMD stock. But I think perceptually the PC will become more attractive to a certain segment of people. Though, chances are, these people are likely already playing games on the PC anyway (in 3D, triple-head, with racing seats, etc.). So I can't say it will be enough to get mainstream console gamers to switch over, but I think it will be an easy sell for gamers already in the PC space.
bugnguts
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bugnguts »

cybereality wrote:Of course the next gen consoles are coming soon, and they will be popular. I don't know exact specs, but I assume they will be able to render Unreal Engine 4 at full speeds.
Wired ran a special article last May about Unreal Engine 4 and these were the thoughts of Tim Sweeney founder of Epic.

“We’re much more in sync with the console makers than any other developer is,” he says. “That means we can give detailed recommendations with a complete understanding of what is going to be commercially possible.” In other words, Epic has seen the specs of proposed new consoles and is actively lobbying for them to be more powerful. It could be a bad sign for the industry if new, relatively underpowered consoles make an appearance at this year’s E3 consumer show (as is popularly rumored about Sony’s PS3 successor, the alleged specs of which leaked in April).

Here's the article
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/05/ff_unreal4/

I believe at the time the graphics spec was around an AMD 6770 in computation and supposedly both XBOX and PS4 had similar graphic specs. I suspect the console makers were simply going something that could run true 1080.

Of course then Apple at about the time of the consoles' specs leaked said, "Here this is a retina screen(2048X1536) and you need it." Epic was telling Microsoft and Sony, "Ummm yea if want unreal 4 in any of its glory then you need more graphic power." I think both console makers muttered, "Crap, crap crap." I believe this is why AMD is pushing back its new line of PC cards because Sony and Microsoft requested much more graphic power and AMD is focused on the new console GPU.

This would not be the first time a console maker upgraded its desired spec. Microsoft, with their original console, changed their graphics unit much closer to their release date, requesting nVidia give them more power. nVidia a little upset at the last minute request made Microsoft pay through the nose. Already the extended life of the current consoles has given way to stagnation. Nintendo's non-traditional WiiU is not fairing that well and casual gamers attracted to the inovative play controls of last gen consoles are turning to tablet and online games.

Then toss the Oculus creating quite a stir and needing 60fps likely at 1080 X xxxx. Yea they have likely decided the 6770 is not going to cut it. I'm not part of the More Graphics Power Cult, but AMD's 6770 will be bested by a midlow PC card when the consoles are released.
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linkage1992 »

I've traditionally been a console gamer, but I'm seriously considering skipping the next gen unless they offer something truly innovative (which from what I've seen is unlikely). The rift has really gotten me thinking about PC gaming again and my dev kit is probably going to drive me to upgrade my PC to push it to its limits. I doubt I'm an indicator of what it will be like for the general population though- like cyber said, most of the people who'll do this are probably already PC gamers and people like me will be in the minority.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

squibbfire wrote:
No because 64 sold...32 million.....according to that graph they sold 8 million..

Your graph is whack...

There is so much that happened that it doesnt show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64
the graphs japan only but the story everywhere else was pretty much the same.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

It will certainly drive me to buy new PC hardware at least. As I intended to buy at least a new graphics card when the Oculus is released, so it can handle stereoscopic 3D at a good framerate.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

ICEMANPAULWALL wrote:
Pyry wrote:
Nintendo is disappointed in its 16 million Wii-U sales because it was expecting somewhere around 24 million sold. .
Where did you get that number. They wanted to sell 5.5 mil in 2012 and dropped it to 4. http://wiiudaily.com/2013/02/wii-u-sold ... -analysts/

Ouya as a threat to Sony and Microsoft :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's only the US sales number. Fortunately the world is bigger than your local country. But enough of this console wars.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

cybereality wrote:Of course the next gen consoles are coming soon, and they will be popular. I don't know exact specs, but I assume they will be able to render Unreal Engine 4 at full speeds. So we are talking something competitive to current mid/high-end PCs. And this will obviously translate into better PC games, since the bar will have risen.

But the big issue is that consoles are a closed platform. On the PC anybody can bring out a piece of hardware, release some software or an SDK, etc. without any gate-keepers. Its just way more conducive to the kind of experimentation needed for VR. For example, look at the Half-Life 2 mod. You could never pull that off on a console. So it doesn't really matter how powerful the next Xbox/PS4 is because it won't be ripe for VR experimentation. At least in the near-term, PC is where it going to be at.

I bet most developers that bought dev-kits probably have decent rigs already. And its a great excuse to upgrade, for sure, if your PC is aging. When the consumer Rift comes out I think you may see a good amount of people actually buying new PCs just to experience VR. I think it will be that compelling. I'm not sure at this point if that will cause a resurgence of PC gaming, or if its enough to boost Nvidia/AMD stock. But I think perceptually the PC will become more attractive to a certain segment of people. Though, chances are, these people are likely already playing games on the PC anyway (in 3D, triple-head, with racing seats, etc.). So I can't say it will be enough to get mainstream console gamers to switch over, but I think it will be an easy sell for gamers already in the PC space.
for the experimental phase you don't even need that powerful a pc. stuff that's cheap enough to experiment with isn't tough to run at high resolutions and frame rates. most indie stuff where palmer claims interesting support will come from isn't too demanding of performance. it's the powerful stuff like star citizen which will be tough and that's basically beta testing the feature before the commercial rift. anyway like always your pc can handle what it can handle, and if there's stuff it can't handle you want to experience you upgrade or wait to upgrade.

but between now and the commercial rifts release oculus have got time to not only design it but make relationships with far more manufacturers and developers.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Paladia wrote:
ICEMANPAULWALL wrote:
Pyry wrote:

That's only the US sales number. Fortunately the world is bigger than your local country. But enough of this console wars.
No, it's 5.5 mil for the whole world this fiscal year. Next time, do some research before you open your mouth.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

is there gonna be a fight...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twbuT1V5mFE[/youtube]
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Well, I am eager to try out the Rift to see how hard it will be pushing our hardware. I am set to upgrade if I need to and it will be fun to gather some benchmarks.

Hopefully some of us can create scripted scenes for benchmark purposes.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Pingles wrote:Well, I am eager to try out the Rift to see how hard it will be pushing our hardware. I am set to upgrade if I need to and it will be fun to gather some benchmarks.

Hopefully some of us can create scripted scenes for benchmark purposes.

Can this be done with the epic citadel demo?
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Maybe get our friends at http://www.3dmark.com/ involved.:)
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

i think rift support is in some ways easier than splitscreen multiplayer so if the devs and engine makers are up for it then it can be added with little performance cost.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Rift support for consoles is unlikely. Look up how Sony implemented 3d or how Nintendo sues 3rd party wii controller designers. People laughed at PC for years and now it's ahead of everything in almost every category. Ouya box is the best unit for sub 150 market. PC has leap/rift releases too.

Console buyers are buying the brand, not for value or performance. They're addicted to gimmicks too, go look at the wii u screen controller, ripped off concept from SEGA, who all ready abandoned that market.

No console wars, it's just a limited business model like "word processors". PC rarely even needs to advertise and still smashes in sales.

Console market is identical business model to things like "designer shoes".

$589-800, That makes me laugh.

If consoles radically change, they might 1 day be competitive. Hope they do support the Rift at some point. They could become VR specific devices if they wanted to, Nintendo all ready made VR controller.
Last edited by Direlight on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Direlight wrote:Rift support for consoles is unlikely. Look up how Sony implemented 3d or how Nintendo sues 3rd party wii controller designers. People laughed at PC for years and now it's ahead of everything in almost every category. Ouya box is the best unit for sub 150 market. PC has leap/rift releases too.

Console buyers are buying the brand, not for value or performance. They're addicted to gimmicks too, go look at the wii u screen controller, ripped off concept from SEGA, who all ready abandoned that market.

No console wars, it's just a limited business model like "word processors". PC rarely even needs to advertise and still smashes in sales.

Console market is identical business model to things like "designer shoes".

$589-800, That makes me laugh.

If consoles radically change, they might 1 day be competitive.
There are probably lots of ways to judge how "competitive" a gaming device is. But if we're talking how much $$$ they make the PC doesn't get close to CoD or any console blockbuster.

I'm a PC gamer. We bought and then neglected a Wii and have a PS3 that has never run ONE game on it (we use it for Blu-ray).

But I still see the value of console gaming. I also see the negatives of PC Gaming.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

PC doesn't get close to CoD or any console blockbuster
PC games constantly sell in top 10, as do consoles. "Blockbusters" might include this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be ... ideo_games

That's very disingenuous to suggest PC game industry is 2nd rate, when consoles even use PC hardware to survive. Consoles have a much better interface track record though, and PC has started to close the gap there too.

Forgot to mention, Facebook games beat out everything in popularity. People confuse popularity and competitive all the time.

SEGA Dreamcast = Competitive, and unpopular (in US market)
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Half Life 2 on PC: 12 million

CoD: Black Ops on XBox 360: 12 million

Angry birds on all platforms: 1,000 million

Edit: CoD MW2, CoD MW3, CoD Black Ops, Halo 3, and GTA IV sales on 360 COMBINED are less than the total download figures for Smurfs Village on Android. Not really a fair comparison, but still.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

As someone who spent a good three semesters learning assembler, back in the day, you'd think I be fine with PC's. (pascal, fortran, UNIX, etc...C was just coming on line)

I am.

But.

I'm tired of their over complicated crap. All the circles and firey hoops to jump through.

That is one of the main reasons I switched to console gaming. I simply don't have the desire or the time to jump and fuddle my way through all that crap, just to get something to work. I get my gaming experience in a mildly diluted form, ie, slightly weak, compared to the eye candy and aspects of the PC experience, but it costs me much less money and I play the game, not futz around with new gear and it's fitment, all the time.

Sometimes you just want to drive the car, not spend all your time tinkering with it.

One of the things you learn with PC's is that you NEVER 'smoke one' before the game is installed and running. That's a recipe for confused disaster. No gaming tonight. :P

Consoles?

No problem!

Angry birds: I played it for a few minutes in a demonstrator phone, at a store - the other day. My caring parts where not giving too much in the fornication area, on that one. 1B downloads. Sheesh, people. Life is out there..somewhere...perhaps one should be obtained!

Designing things that people get into, blindly and deeply masturbated into - is easy. To me, it is not a skill. It can be done. I simply don't want the karma of that.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

KBK wrote: One of the things you learn with PC's is that you NEVER 'smoke one' before the game is installed and running. That's a recipe for confused disaster. No gaming tonight. :P

Consoles?

No problem!
You smoke the wrong poop, definitively :lol:
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Diorama wrote:Half Life 2 on PC: 12 million

CoD: Black Ops on XBox 360: 12 million

Angry birds on all platforms: 1,000 million

Edit: CoD MW2, CoD MW3, CoD Black Ops, Halo 3, and GTA IV sales on 360 COMBINED are less than the total download figures for Smurfs Village on Android. Not really a fair comparison, but still.
And yet....

Angry birds revenue: ~$100 mil
Black Ops revenue: ~$1 bil
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

KBK wrote:... One of the things you learn with PC's is that you NEVER 'smoke one' before the game is installed and running. That's a recipe for confused disaster. No gaming tonight. :P ....
I had that suspicion after reading some of your other posts. Hence the "pipe dream" comment in a reply.

Posting to a public forum while under the influence of certain smoking substances can lead to some "interesting" (albeit somewhat incomprehensible) posts.
KBK wrote:... blindly and deeply masturbated into - is easy. To me, it is not a skill. It can be done. ...
Lots of practice at that, eh? :roll:

I hope your Rift is easy enough to clean out, or it could get stinky. :o
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

I'm tired of their over complicated crap. All the circles and firey hoops to jump through.
Rift forum is the perfect place then. It's developed entirely for consoles and works hassle free with every game. It's also great for low-end graphics and casual gaming.

KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Direlight wrote:
Rift forum is the perfect place then. It's developed entirely for consoles and works hassle free with every game. It's also great for low-end graphics and casual gaming.

Yeah, I knew the post was mildly provocative. :)

I USED to be the guy with the most cutting edge gear in town, etc. It wore me out a bit. All that trying to walk or run through walls stuff does indeed wear you down.

I got geekmaster telling me he doesn't bother to clean his glasses anymore, yet he's still got enough in him to take me to task over other nitty-grtties. :)

I've got at least one and now possibly two Rifts on the way. Which means I have to get back into PC's. Ouch. My wallet.

Then I'll probably go crazy again. I was one of the first people to put solid polymer caps on boards, high grade poly caps in power supplies, completely silent cases, hard wired VGA cables (no connectors, all soldered), with impedance matching hand tweaked at each end of the RGB cables, and much, much more. I mean, I'd get a $10k cost DLP projector and then it would be a pile of parts, each of which I'd be second guessing in it's build and execution..on the same day it was received. No more than 5 minutes running time, just to be sure it worked, and then -full dismemberment.

Perfection costs, it costs in all kinds of areas of effort and energies. The usual deal. If you want it, start bleeding and paying now, kinda thing.

Edit:I do note that it is Murdoch that own IGN, which seemingly caters to the console crowd. Not unexpected. I only found that out, a few weeks ago. I can't say I was surprised.
Last edited by KBK on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

KBK wrote:As someone who spent a good three semesters learning assembler, back in the day, you'd think I be fine with PC's. (pascal, fortran, UNIX, etc...C was just coming on line)

I am.

But.

That is one of the main reasons I switched to console gaming. I simply don't have the desire or the time to jump and fuddle my way through all that crap, just to get something to work. I get my gaming experience in a mildly diluted form, ie, slightly weak, compared to the eye candy and aspects of the PC experience, but it costs me much less money and I play the game, not futz around with new gear and it's fitment, all the time.

Sometimes you just want to drive the car, not spend all your time tinkering with it.

One of the things you learn with PC's is that you NEVER 'smoke one' before the game is installed and running. That's a recipe for confused disaster. No gaming tonight. :P

Consoles?

No problem!

Angry birds: I played it for a few minutes in a demonstrator phone, at a store - the other day. My caring parts where not giving too much in the fornication area, on that one. 1B downloads. Sheesh, people. Life is out there..somewhere...perhaps one should be obtained!

Designing things that people get into, blindly and deeply masturbated into - is easy. To me, it is not a skill. It can be done. I simply don't want the karma of that.
it's all considerably easier now. you have xinput for games that need a joypad so you can use a console quality controller. steam installs everything for you. the only problem is adjusting settings so you get the right balance of performance verses eye candy (test quit adjust reload test quit adjust reload etc). oh and you might have games for windows live or origin intruding when you don't want them. configuring controls for pre xinput games can be annoying tho. but the settings for them are extremely easy.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

KBK wrote:... I got geekmaster telling me he doesn't bother to clean his glasses anymore, yet he's still got enough in him to take me to task over other nitty-grtties. :) ...
I still clean my glasses several times per week, just not several times per day like I did when I was younger. Switching back and forth between my regular glasses and my computer glasses gets them dirty faster, and I mostly got used to moving my head to put what I am looking at into sharper focus (over a cleaner spot on the lenses). It is automatic for me, and I suspect that using the Rift and its less-sharp image edges will be the same.

Regarding taking you "to task", that is mainly because a certain amount of what you post is hard to understand because of the strange grammar you sometimes use, and the bold claims that make me think I did not understand you. I know I am not alone in not understanding your posts. I still cannot parse this part (and PalmerTech had trouble understanding it too):
PalmerTech wrote:...
KBK wrote:With regard to field collapse, and it's bloom, expression, over time, and the generation of distortion by the associated materials in-situ....teflon has the lowest level of 'interference', on record - in materials analysis and use. Slightly less linear than that of air, air being a 'reference'.

No trolling here.
I don't see trolling, but I do see evasive replies. Do you have evidence of a flaw in Fourier analysis? Can you explain yourself? If not, can you link to another source that does?

I am always willing to read dense material if something can be gleaned from it, but I really have a hard time understanding your posts.
Posting "under the influence" (admitted by you in a recent post) can be the source of such confusing grammatical constructions. At least you can go back and edit them to something readable when straight, but by then others may have replied...

EDIT: To place KBK's quote above into context, it was regarding the influence of Radio Frequency properties of electronic components in AUDIO circuits, in this case regarding a schematic for a DIGITAL (not analog) PWM-based circuit for a Neurophone:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=16347
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Now you're getting weird.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

KBK wrote:Now you're getting weird.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... =15#p98807

Return to “Oculus VR”