Your dream VR game?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Your dream VR game?

Post by virror »

Whats your dream VR game if you could make a wish for a game? Any specific setting or mechanics?

My dream VR game is probably a fantasy RPG were your own skills actually matters and you can really learn to be a better fighter as an example by learn how to fight. To be able to immerse my self in a beautiful fantasy world and really "live" there have been a childhood dream for me : )
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Your dream VR game?

Post by Linkage1992 »

A game set in a suburban environment where you can change your size in order to solve various challenges. Think "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids."
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

A game simulating Graffiti trainwriting, sneaking into trainyards. Having a real spraycan modded as input device with gyro sensors etc. It's a genre which really would benefit from VR, because it's another impact if you see your work rolling by standing next to it, and beeing able to use your real life movement and handcontrol skills. It could be a very good training tool and platform for competition for Graffiti artists.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

An open source world, which is constantly growing from year to year.
Whole cities like New York, which buildings you can entirely enter from bottom to top.
A whole arsenal models, animated like dinosaurs or godzilla, or static objects like all sorts of cars or buildings.
Imagine the year 2035 when news report that `Virtual Land` has grown another 100 square miles that year.
I could tell a lot more and i know that its not a game anymore, but you ve asked for a dream game... :D

Of course u could shoot some enemies 8-)
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

My dream game is a game set in the future, where you get to explore other planets.
Sort of like a Mass Effect meets Star Wars. I'm not really into the fighting, just the exploring aspect.
snorelab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snorelab »

Skip to bottom for TL;DR

I used to play dungeons and dragons. I didn't quit because I got bored of it or outgrew it. I quit because I moved away from the people I played with and never got a good group together again.

So to me, the ideal game is essentially a D&D virtual lounge. The setting would be something like a great hall. The players have avatars. Dungeon masters (DMs), have access to assets to put campaigns together or can choose a module. The players meet up in the lounge and then head off to the VR campaign. Because it's real role playing, you can't have dialogue choice wheels. That would kill it. So you have two choices: 1) the DM can act as the voice of all NPCs or 2) the DM could choose from pre-recorded dialogue based on the players questions and responses. These may not always fit perfectly, but that could be an acceptable quirk to the game, like in the early pre-point-and-click adventure games. Plus there would be your standard dialogue options that prod you to ask something more to the point.

Because the DM is not a player character, he could control/override the action of all of the various kobolds and such. Highlighting a kobold would pop up a menu of actions perhaps. The great thing about having a DM is that he bridges the AI gap between the players and the characters in the virtual world.

You could grid the world out and make it turn based or it could be real time.

There would be a great social aspect I imagine. In the early days of MMOs I used to actually feel a connection with the people I played with. These days there are too many features in games that work against forming any kind of bond with fellow players. I think games in which people get together in groups are perfect for VR. Of course, we'd have to get facial expressions, body language, eye contact, etc tracked/faked and integrated well.

TL;DR
VR dungeons and dragons with a DM supplanting most AI.
vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

snorelab wrote:Skip to bottom for TL;DR

I used to play dungeons and dragons. I didn't quit because I got bored of it or outgrew it. I quit because I moved away from the people I played with and never got a good group together again.

So to me, the ideal game is essentially a D&D virtual lounge. The setting would be something like a great hall. The players have avatars. Dungeon masters (DMs), have access to assets to put campaigns together or can choose a module. The players meet up in the lounge and then head off to the VR campaign. Because it's real role playing, you can't have dialogue choice wheels. That would kill it. So you have two choices: 1) the DM can act as the voice of all NPCs or 2) the DM could choose from pre-recorded dialogue based on the players questions and responses. These may not always fit perfectly, but that could be an acceptable quirk to the game, like in the early pre-point-and-click adventure games. Plus there would be your standard dialogue options that prod you to ask something more to the point.

Because the DM is not a player character, he could control/override the action of all of the various kobolds and such. Highlighting a kobold would pop up a menu of actions perhaps. The great thing about having a DM is that he bridges the AI gap between the players and the characters in the virtual world.

You could grid the world out and make it turn based or it could be real time.

There would be a great social aspect I imagine. In the early days of MMOs I used to actually feel a connection with the people I played with. These days there are too many features in games that work against forming any kind of bond with fellow players. I think games in which people get together in groups are perfect for VR. Of course, we'd have to get facial expressions, body language, eye contact, etc tracked/faked and integrated well.

TL;DR
VR dungeons and dragons with a DM supplanting most AI.

This is what i was thinking of too when the rift kickstarter first started up although i imagined a glove attachment that you could grab your little pieces and move them on the virtual board and also roll the dice with your IN game hand :mrgreen: i would pay GOOD money for this.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

virror wrote:Whats your dream VR game if you could make a wish for a game? Any specific setting or mechanics?

My dream VR game is probably a fantasy RPG were your own skills actually matters and you can really learn to be a better fighter as an example by learn how to fight. To be able to immerse my self in a beautiful fantasy world and really "live" there have been a childhood dream for me : )

Wow, this has been also my dream for a long, long time since I was a kid too! a dream game in VR shouldn't be the way current RPGs work : increase your "intelligent" or "diplomatic" skills just by adding numbers but in reality, your intelligent doesn't not increase. Number is just illusion of skill but a real skill even in a virtual environment is not an illusion. Of course, some skill need to corporate with numbers to enhance gameplay, for ex: agility: the more you have, the faster you are, but just some physical attributes, not all. Some skills like "intelligence", "diplomatic", "charisma", "combat skill" should leave unnumbered and the player should show their real skills in these areas. Living in some fantastical game worlds would be a dream of any human being!
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

adventurer wrote:
virror wrote:Whats your dream VR game if you could make a wish for a game? Any specific setting or mechanics?

Wow, this has been also my dream for a long, long time since I was a kid too! a dream game in VR shouldn't be the way current RPGs work : increase your "intelligent" or "diplomatic" skills just by adding numbers but in reality, your intelligent doesn't not increase. Number is just illusion of skill but a real skill even in a virtual environment is not an illusion. Of course, some skill need to corporate with numbers to enhance gameplay, for ex: agility: the more you have, the faster you are, but just some physical attributes, not all. Some skills like "intelligence", "diplomatic", "charisma", "combat skill" should leave unnumbered and the player should show their real skills in these areas. Living in some fantastical game worlds would be a dream of any human being!
The problem with that is many people play those games to be characters with physical capabilities far surpassing their own. I'm not saying there isn't a place for games like that, but the divorce between the player's capabilities and the character's is a plus for RPGs. Esp. since many people like to play a variety of different characters, so having to actually develop the associated skills for all of them would put a damper on that.
snorelab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snorelab »

If you're comfortable with suspending your disbelief on how well your "skills" transfer into real life I think it could still be very rewarding. You would have the same chance of winning a duel with an actual swordsman as you would successfully piloting a commercial airliner after playing a flight sim. But in the game it would really feel like you were learning and mastering elite swordplay.

Sticking to the fantasy genre...in current games you can just open up a window and click on a spell to learn it. :| I look forward to actually having to seek out knowledge, read through tomes, etc in order to master a spell. Obviously your elite wizard skills wouldn't carry over to real life. :lol: Although, let me contradict myself. It would carry over in a sense. Especially if you needed to really use your brain and get some precise gross and fine motor skills going with your hands and arms. If you needed to reach and maintain a state of meditative calm in order to play a successful healer that would carry over into real life, etc.

One amazing benefit to all of this is that people who are naturally athletic would have a better chance at being a warrior type. Cerebral types would be better wizards. Natural dexterity would be a real benefit for thieves and archers. All because you need to bring something of yourself to the game.

For the people that want to play a character outside of their own abilities....find a different game! :twisted: Just kidding. They could toggle the feature on and off. There could be a slider that determines how much natural ability needs to be brought to the table.
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

Metroid Prime remade for VR. Enough said.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

snorelab wrote:For the people that want to play a character outside of their own abilities
This is exactly the point of a role playing game, though. if you want to make a game based on your own skill, don't push it as a RPG. It may be a fantasy action adventure, but that is not even close to defining a RPG.
snorelab wrote:They could toggle the feature on and off. There could be a slider that determines how much natural ability needs to be brought to the table.
I don't see how that could work well. The basic game design between the two cases seems contradictory.
snorelab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snorelab »

Mystify wrote:
snorelab wrote:For the people that want to play a character outside of their own abilities
This is exactly the point of a role playing game, though. if you want to make a game based on your own skill, don't push it as a RPG. It may be a fantasy action adventure, but that is not even close to defining a RPG.
We'll have to agree to disagree here.
Mystify wrote:
snorelab wrote:They could toggle the feature on and off. There could be a slider that determines how much natural ability needs to be brought to the table.
I don't see how that could work well. The basic game design between the two cases seems contradictory.
You may be right. The thread calls for a "dream" VR game though. And this isn't even my dream! :| I just liked Virror's dream. To defend my last thought though, here's how I envision it. I envision an exosuit as the input device. I'll give you a purely physical test and a purely mental test that can both be scaled for difficulty.

1) In order to train in a broad sword you must first be able to wield the sword over your head and bring it down upon a cabbage, cleaving it in half.
A. The broadsword feels quite heavy and difficult to wield (joint movement constrained by exosuit*). Your aim must also be true.
B. The broadsword may as well be made of foam by the heft of it. Although you would have only glanced the cabbage, it registers as a direct hit.

2) There are images in a tome. If there is a pattern to them, it is not apparant at first glance. Words are written in a language you don't understand. Somehow you must figure out a way to harness the secrets within.
A. You must figure out the complex pattern in the images. Every half minute or so the images appear to change before your eyes. Speak the correct words and inscribe the correct symbols. Bam. You've learned the spell.
B. The pattern, although visually stunning, is not very complex. The images do not change with time.

*Let's assume for the moment that wearing such an exosuit does not put you in danger of being torn apart like a ragdoll. :D
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

Mystify wrote:

I think skills in a dream VR RPG/fantasy adventure/action game would be like:
for example, acrobat skill: when you enable acrobatic mode, you can easily jump from edge of this wall to other wall/tree or any object with highest precision, just like assassin creed or prince of persian. The computer will support you the preciseness and enhance your jump height. You can do several acrobatic moves just by training a little to do some unique gestures to make the computer understand it as an acrobatic move.
That would enhance a lot gameplay and make the acrobatic fun while it doesn't require the real human efforts to acrobatic action which would take several years of hard training to master. Of course, it still requires some skills such as your reflect to keep up with the speed of the acrobatic moves.

another example: combat skill: when you enable combat skill, you can do several complicated master moves that only Jetli can do just by doing some gestures. You can detect enemy attack from behind because sensors attached to your back will notice you.
Although it would not require you to learn real combat moves but it still require you to use these combat move effectively, your quick reflex and combat tactics.

Some of that acrobatic moves or combat moves are general, everyone can learn, but some are limited or rare, and each clan has a very unique range of moves which only that clan has them and some moves only some lucky players would acquire them.

if it would be done right, what we can do in VR RPG would look exactly like what heroes in action movies could do with least amount of effort focus on real world athletic ability but much on our more suitable skill that would enhance gameplay like reflex, quick thinking and mastering of combat tactics or other more suitable skills. These skills would bring so many beautiful combinations. Of course we assume that till that time we would have the brain-interface VR or atleast the full body tracking, walking/jumping support, etc.
SaviorNT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SaviorNT »

I'll be the first to say, my dream VR game would be a real-world implementation of Sword Art Online, with all of its' caveats. The game world consists of:

- 100 "Levels" : Each level has a main town and minor towns. To get to the next level, you need to first kill a raid boss. My dream game would be similar, except for the fact that you can go back and farm the boss. This would make expanding the game fairly easily.. just add more levels. FYI: It takes 10,000 people (which was reduced.. see below, to 7500), what was it, 2 years? To make it to Floor 74.

- Fully immersive : Complete immersion via microwaves going to the brain. The gear also interrupts / intercepts the signal your brain gives to your spinal column, thus allowing you to move in VR, while you basically remain comatose in RL.

- VR combat system : The game does have some basis of RL fighting skills, however, the combat system is also supplemented by the game engine. You start the move / skill, and the system ensures that you hit the target. Skills are level based.. so the higher your level, the faster / harder / more skills you have.

- Multiple careers : In the game, there should be multiple careers that people can do, fighting, trading, fishing, building, etc.. Take a look at Eve-Online for a comparison of what I would like. It is basically a sandbox as far as careers.

- In game death = RL death, and you cannot log out : There might be some rules / regulations on this side of the game.. there might be one or two government entities that would not agree with having this concept in the game. Not sure why? (j/k)

This would be my ultimate game.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

SaviorNT wrote:I'll be the first to say, my dream VR game would be a real-world implementation of Sword Art Online, with all of its' caveats. The game world consists of:

IMHO, SAO would be a bad game given all the powerful VR technologies it has. There is no innovative gameplay. It is just like another trival MMORPG we have today with the adaption to VR environment. SAO still have pointless numbers to level up. Remember the scene where several players slashed wildly at Kirito and he stood still and received no damage at all because he was so high in level? I can't believe it. Its nonsense in VR environment! The game mechanics, environments in the game, people acting in the game, slaying monsters to level up and monster constantly reborn, special effects that break the immersion, etc. All of that are just so unrealistic, so arcade style and break the immersion of being in a believable world, not a machine generated world... We need a real VR game with real gameplay and immersion! We don't need another boring MMORPG like that. It simply wasted so muh potential given the VR tech they have. Yes, I like the VR technology adapted in SAO, but its definitely a really bad VR game in my opinion.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

I think my dream VR "game" killer app would be open, distributed / peer-to-peer version of Second Life, with robust scripting and better graphics. I'd want support for EEG based facial expressions and solid eye tracking for a really immersive social experience. Some sort of modular rules system for implementing restricted physics for in-word games would be important too, so more game like arenas could be set up for racing, combat and other games-of-skill. Basically a decentralised metaverse ala Snow Crash.
SaviorNT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SaviorNT »

adventurer wrote:
SaviorNT wrote:I'll be the first to say, my dream VR game would be a real-world implementation of Sword Art Online, with all of its' caveats. The game world consists of:

IMHO, SAO would be a bad game given all the powerful VR technologies it has. There is no innovative gameplay. It is just like another trival MMORPG we have today with the adaption to VR environment. SAO still have pointless numbers to level up. Remember the scene where several players slashed wildly at Kirito and he stood still and received no damage at all because he was so high in level? I can't believe it. Its nonsense in VR environment! The game mechanics, environments in the game, people acting in the game, slaying monsters to level up and monster constantly reborn, special effects that break the immersion, etc. All of that are just so unrealistic, so arcade style and break the immersion of being in a believable world, not a machine generated world... We need a real VR game with real gameplay and immersion! We don't need another boring MMORPG like that. It simply wasted so muh potential given the VR tech they have. Yes, I like the VR technology adapted in SAO, but its definitely a really bad VR game in my opinion.
But I like those kind of games :(

:ugeek:
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

yeah, I was little too hard on the game. It's still a cool game to play, but definitely not a dream VR game.
mindw0rk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mindw0rk »

Sandbox MMORPG with modded Skyrim's graphics quality (see: http://i.minus.com/ibesCQxpXGoDhJ.jpg) and focus on player run organizations and players interaction. Basically MUDs like Achaea or Dragonrealms in glorious graphics and depth of EVE Online
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

flying around in a fantasy world by flaping your arms. (kinect full body capture)
I already flapped them for 2 minutes :P , and all i can say is that it would be a really great workout. :woot (you wouldnt have to flap them all the time, cause the air would carry you) anyway, even for the lazy people,or me, imagine being a dragon, a dinosaur or somekind of fantasy creature,with wings virtually attached to your arms. it would be really worth it.
i am convinced that it would significantely increase the immersion.
in addition you put some cnc ventilators around you to feel the wind.
next gen engines will have great vector wind simulation.so vector fields
could create a complex air current system in which you can fly around.
if you sat down on a chair or on your knees while flaping you would acquire a more natural pose of flying.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

iRacing. The limitations on movement while strapped into a car and the thrill of a simulated racing experience lend it perfectly to VR. I can't wait to strap into a Williams F1 a Spa Francorchamps and BE there.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”