USC Creates 3D Display, Now Just For the Actual TIE Fighters

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

USC Creates 3D Display, Now Just For the Actual TIE Fighters

Post by Silversurfer »

Now can you imagine having one of these at home? maybe grandkids :)

Does art imitate life or life imitate art? I think this holographic display developed at USC demoing a TIE Fighter puts an end to that age-old debate. Using a high=speed DLP projection, a mirror reflects 5,000 images per second, which combine to make a pretty 3D object. But the most remarkable point about the system is that it updates in realtime at 200Hz, taking into account the user's position and adjusting the image placement as needed. In other words, the image could rotate for a still viewer, or stay absolutely still for a moving viewer. But that's easier to understand after watching the video:
[ITC Graphics Lab via Wired]

Article:
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full ... e-fighters
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

And then you stick your hand in it and off it goes :p
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

Xerion wrote:And then you stick your hand in it and off it goes :p
No way - LOL
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I saw the same technology used in my local supermarket (kiev, ukraine) to advertise cigarettes. Was pretty impressive though. However the srawback atm is the monochrome display and small size, not to mention if during gaming you lean in to get that extra detail..... :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

yuriythebest1 wrote:I saw the same technology used in my local supermarket (kiev, ukraine) to advertise cigarettes. Was pretty impressive though. However the srawback atm is the monochrome display and small size, not to mention if during gaming you lean in to get that extra detail..... :)
Your right it would be like the "Tank 3D" arcade game graphics, fun gameplay but basic graphics. :)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”