novint falcon gets valve support

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

novint falcon gets valve support

Post by yuriythebest »

again, not very S-3D related but iz here:

http://gizmodo.com/5019634/novint-falco ... ve-support
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, the Falcon is cool. I've got one. There just aren't enough good games that support it ATM. The HL2 mod, Haptics-Life, thats pretty cool. In stereo-3d and force-feedback! But theres only so many times I can play through that same game. Left4Dead support, that sounds cool. They are also going to have EA games like Need For Speed and Battlefield series soon. One last thing, its a new black model thats going to come out soon with a pistol grip attachment. Those guys at Gizmodo didn't even get the right picture! This is what the new model looks like:

http://home.novint.com/reserve/pistol.php
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

It must be hard to aim in a shooter with that. Would it work like in Metroid for the Wii? The area in the middle of the device only moves the gun and if you move it farther it also rotates the view/character? If it's like that, I can see it being hard to control. I have a Wii with Metroid and it's hard to aim. You have to lock-on to the targets all the time otherwise it's too hard to keep the aim on target. Since the Falcon has force feedback, maybe you can do something easier to control than that...
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It works similar to the control in Metroid on the Wii, yeah. Basically it works like a mouse within this center circle area (that you can adjust), anything outside the radius then turns into rotational movement (depending on how hard you push). Technically its a 3DOF controller, so you have full positional movement within a small cube. But with the big titles like HL2 it has to emulate the mouse. So you loose the full 3d control. If games were built directly for the Falcon they could probably do more. But its still works decent considering, if you've played the Wii you know that method has some limitations. Obviously its not going to match the best gaming mouse you can get in terms of precision (i.e full 180 spins and things like that). But the device is fairly accurate. There is no jumpyness or jittering or anything like that. It works just as advertised. With support gaining it could turn out to be really cool. There are just not a lot of supported titles right now. But its still pretty cool for the price, and has a decent SDK to play around with.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: novint falcon gets valve support

Post by Silversurfer »

yuriythebest1 wrote:again, not very S-3D related but iz here:

http://gizmodo.com/5019634/novint-falco ... ve-support
Fantastic, I was hoping something big would happen with this controler, so glad I waited :D
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”