Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Frimmi
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Post by Frimmi »

I found a workaround: In the Motion Creator you can check "Left handed mode".
Then the hydras are switched, (but not the keybindings) that fixes it and I was able to play HL2VR yesterday =)
PatimPatam
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by PatimPatam »

Well it looks like we have an "official" confirmation that Valve is going to update the Source SDK with VR support:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... &start=329
joe wrote:
mrgreen72 wrote:Also, any idea when the VR stuff is going to make it to the SDK?
Predicting dates precisely is difficult because there are a lot of moving pieces, but we are working on getting an SDK update out to include VR support.
Awesome news!!
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Hey that's me!

Is Adoral84 still alive, by the way?
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

PatimPatam wrote:Well it looks like we have an "official" confirmation that Valve is going to update the Source SDK with VR support:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... &start=329
joe wrote:
mrgreen72 wrote:Also, any idea when the VR stuff is going to make it to the SDK?
Predicting dates precisely is difficult because there are a lot of moving pieces, but we are working on getting an SDK update out to include VR support.
Awesome news!!

1:1 independent aiming with the hydra, here we go!!!
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

joe wrote:
I can´t wait to try Black Mesa with native Rift support!

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Omarzuqo wrote: 1:1 independent aiming with the hydra, here we go!!!
LOL nice gif ! I'm super excited for this too, I finally got my Rift, and tried using Vireio.... yuck! What a poor experience. It's a capable app but it's not user friendly at all.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

where do you buy a FSM-9 (tracker?)
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

Ok now it's PROPER OFFICIAL!! :woot
http://store.steampowered.com/news/10962/

Adoral84 where are you???
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

He's responded here!

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... t_support/

He says he's dropped all plans for the weekend and will get this working ASAP.

I can't wait! I'll probably do some Let's Plays of this on my youtube channel, youtube.com/Spankeey77
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Oh my God! Yes yes yes, thank you VALVE!
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Sweet. I've been wanting to try this but couldn't get vivero working with it
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

So last weekend I was able to get started with the new sdk, it looks like the code for native hydra support is included now which should be great, unfortunately it seems there are a few bits necessary to build with hydra support that are missing at this point so for the time being I'm going to focus on porting over my original hydra implementation rather than modifying valve's.

There's a fair amount of work right now just working out getting all the materials/scenes/maps running with the new sdk, but hopefully once that's all sorted the rest will be pretty smooth sailing.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Sounds good, looking forward to it.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

adoral84 wrote:So last weekend I was able to get started with the new sdk, it looks like the code for native hydra support is included now which should be great, unfortunately it seems there are a few bits necessary to build with hydra support that are missing at this point so for the time being I'm going to focus on porting over my original hydra implementation rather than modifying valve's.

There's a fair amount of work right now just working out getting all the materials/scenes/maps running with the new sdk, but hopefully once that's all sorted the rest will be pretty smooth sailing.
Cool, good luck! Can't wait to try it!
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

adoral84 wrote:So last weekend I was able to get started with the new sdk, it looks like the code for native hydra support is included now which should be great, unfortunately it seems there are a few bits necessary to build with hydra support that are missing at this point so for the time being I'm going to focus on porting over my original hydra implementation rather than modifying valve's.

So no native Hydra support then? How does that work? Mouse emulation from MotionCreator?

Anyway, hopefully you have something playable reasonably soon. I've been waiting for your mod to jump back into HL2! :)
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Ah, no It'll be native support either way, I'll just have to add it all back in myself. I was hoping to leverage more of what they already had from their TF2 / HL2 hydra implementation.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Is there any official website/page/forum/blog for this mod? To get the last version I had to dig on reddit.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

LordJuanlo wrote:Is there any official website/page/forum/blog for this mod? To get the last version I had to dig on reddit.
http://vrmods.wordpress.com/
but it has not been updated for a while
Antibiotix
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Antibiotix »

Hi adoral,

Just dropping in to say thanks for making this happen :)
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Yes I also want to say Thank you Adoral84!!
This is the most exiting thing for me until Star Citizen comes out!!

Also is Portal 2 possible to mod with this new SDK?
yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yunti »

Ziggurat wrote:Yes I also want to say Thank you Adoral84!!
This is the most exiting thing for me until Star Citizen comes out!!

Also is Portal 2 possible to mod with this new SDK?

No Portal 2 has it's own SDK/Authoring tool like most of the recent valve games. Have a look here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... stallation

Thanks for all your work on this Adoral. I'm desperately looking forward to it.

I can't remember if you ever implemented the spine/body tracking you mentioned previously?

This is one of the best implementations yet of a first person view with the oculus and hydra. https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =42&t=1796

It's amazingly well done. With the hydra strapped to your chest you can side step (in reality) and this happens in the virtual world, as well as bending over towards the ground. Leaning and peering round the corner of a tent is amazingly well done ( in the style of Sam Fisher/Solid Snake). Look, movement and weapon (other hydra controller) are all independent. Would be incredible to see that type of control scheme modded into HL2, but it may be a lot of work.

Thanks for all you hard work.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

yunti wrote: This is one of the best implementations yet of a first person view with the oculus and hydra. https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =42&t=1796
Yeah, I ordered this runners waist pack from amazon after I saw that thread, it's the perfect size for the hydra and has plenty of strap length to go over the shoulder like in the video. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PH ... UTF8&psc=1. I definitely intend to support that as a control scheme, and having tried it both ways quite a bit in mincrift I much prefer wearing it over the shoulder vs on the HMD.
LuckyLu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LuckyLu »

Since you are messing around in HL2 guts can you also correct the distortion using the official Oculus parameters?
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

adoral84 wrote:
yunti wrote: This is one of the best implementations yet of a first person view with the oculus and hydra. https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =42&t=1796
Yeah, I ordered this runners waist pack from amazon after I saw that thread, it's the perfect size for the hydra and has plenty of strap length to go over the shoulder like in the video. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PH ... UTF8&psc=1. I definitely intend to support that as a control scheme, and having tried it both ways quite a bit in mincrift I much prefer wearing it over the shoulder vs on the HMD.
Holy snap it even has your name on it! I might look at picking one of these up, I tried putting my Hydra on the Rift for Minecrift too, rubber banding it to the side, and the headstrap, it just feels flimsy and wrong. Thanks for the link
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

LuckyLu wrote:Since you are messing around in HL2 guts can you also correct the distortion using the official Oculus parameters?
Make that optional if you do, I don't have any problems.
yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yunti »

adoral84 wrote:

I had been meaning to get one of these so thanks for for finding a good one. (it's available in the UK for any others UK based), perhaps the over the shoulder Hydra will be the new norm instead attached to the rift. Great to hear you plan to include that control scheme in your mod.
strangedays
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by strangedays »

Sorry, I'm having trouble finding info on this mod. Have I understood correctly that Adoral84 is fusing the hydra tracking he did with the official mod, and also integrating the chest hydra tracking?

Because that would be awesome. My rift is apparently on the way. Is there a rough ETA on a build?

Thanks heaps for your work on this Adoral84. I'm buzzed about VR. I used to stick fresnel lenses in front of my monitor and stuff trying to get more immersion. This is a dream come true, and what you are doing with the gun handling is icing on the cake. Cheers!
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

strangedays wrote:Sorry, I'm having trouble finding info on this mod. Have I understood correctly that Adoral84 is fusing the hydra tracking he did with the official mod, and also integrating the chest hydra tracking?

Because that would be awesome. My rift is apparently on the way. Is there a rough ETA on a build?

Thanks heaps for your work on this Adoral84. I'm buzzed about VR. I used to stick fresnel lenses in front of my monitor and stuff trying to get more immersion. This is a dream come true, and what you are doing with the gun handling is icing on the cake. Cheers!
I asked someone who is in contact with him, and he says it took more time than expected. He was so active posting updates earlier, so I suspect that he is devoting time to this undertaking rather :)
LathspeLL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LathspeLL »

I heard that Source SDK, after the OR implementation, got broken. Lots of commands does not work anymore so this slows Nathan. Valve is also working on a fix.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

how do you get 6DOF working with this? i used the right hydra to calibrate, but the left hydra positional wise does nothing. Both hydras work for control, and the right hydra controls the crowbar/guns, but cant get the left one to do anything other than control. Maybe im stupid lol.
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

It's a console setting, I've tried it and it's great but for the life in me can't find the list of commands. Anyone?
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Here is the reddit post for the latest release of the mod, with list of all commands!

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... alpha_107/
vr_flashlight_mode (0|1|2) - Attaches the flashlight to 0:head, 1:right hand, 2:left hand.
vr_hydra_left_hand (0|1) - Purely experimental at this point. 0 is default, 1 is positional tracking.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

gray wrote:It's a console setting, I've tried it and it's great but for the life in me can't find the list of commands. Anyone?
cheers man, i saw it in the reddit post, finally gonna give this a whirl.
drgroove101 wrote:Here is the reddit post for the latest release of the mod, with list of all commands!

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... alpha_107/
vr_flashlight_mode (0|1|2) - Attaches the flashlight to 0:head, 1:right hand, 2:left hand.
vr_hydra_left_hand (0|1) - Purely experimental at this point. 0 is default, 1 is positional tracking.
Excellent, mega appreciated :)
Taphiriel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Taphiriel »

Hi rifters, great Mod, i've played a month ago with the Hydra on my 3D Monitor.

Now I have my Rift, but the headtracking didn't work. Only roll and on the horizontal Axis. The vertical is just on the right analog Stick from the Hydra.

Do I need a new MCE for the Half Life VR Mod, that I can use the Rift?

edit: ok, got the problem.

Now I have the next problem. I can only walk. Neither the button on the Hydra or the the "j" on the Keyboard toggles the walk/run. Shift and Alt have no reaction on walking speed.
I have tried to delete and reinstall the Mod, but the error remains.
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

Hey, just wondering if you guys will still working on integrating your Hydra controls with the official -vr mode.
Lemmi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lemmi »

Got the mod working, but the guns are way out of scale, they take over half of my screen, like the crowbar is bigger than the guy im trying to hit it with. Anyone know how i can reduce their size? Thanks
strangedays
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by strangedays »

I'm also wondering if this is still in development with the official support? I have been holding off trying half life 2 official because I am keen to do it with this mod, but if it has hit a wall, would you guys be kind enough to let us know? Thanks!
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Gman's got adoral. Never too young to be teleported.

I've got my rift, my hydra, my hl2, my gaming rig ready. Instead of going crazy with the available demos, I'm waiting for adoral's mod to implement HydraDeck + independent aiming, get it integrated with official rift support, making it the perfect game. But seeing not only Carmack, but also Ex-id Software creative director Matt Hooper, join Oculus VR, makes me wonder if it's where Adoral also ended up.
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
silentslack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by silentslack »

Hello guys,

I work for a company that produces an exo-skeleton mocap suit (www.mocapgames.com). We would like to produce a Half Life 2 mod to work with the suit similar to what Nathan Andrews achieved with his Hydra mod. Do you know anyone who would be interested in undertaking this (paid) task? Sorry to hijack the thread but I've posted in various MOD forums to no avail!

Thanks, Jake
Creative Director of Private Eye - A cinematic, psychological thriller for the Oculus Rift, where voyeurism meets mystery, played out against a 1950's New York city backdrop.
Official site: www.privateeyevr.com
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

I hate asking this, but are you still developing the mod? Can we still expect to get a version that works with the official VR mode? I'd love to hear some news, even if it's bad news.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”