head tracking + 3d monitor

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
AussieMike
Two Eyed Hopeful

head tracking + 3d monitor

Post by AussieMike »

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been asked before already (I did a search but couldnt find it) - are there any examples/tutorials/software on combining head tracking with a 3d monitor?
I think it'd be a pretty cool effect to have head tracking, so you can move your head around to peek up/down/left/right into a 3d monitor

Cheers,
Michael
8bit
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: head tracking + 3d monitor

Post by 8bit »

Mike did you ever find what you're looking for?

My 3D monitor is supposed to arrive today or tomorrow. After I get it I will try using it with Wiimote head tracking.
It may take me a week or two though because I have a lot of other things going on.
I'll keep you posted on how it goes if you're interested.

Keep in mind that I won't have a really cool game hooked up with it. Instead it will probably just be a dinky demo to play with.
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: head tracking + 3d monitor

Post by cadcoke5 »

The task of making the head tracker work with any other software than a special demo is, I think, the main task. All the other stuff has been worked out by other people. It may be a bit disappointing to put too much work into getting a demo up, and then quickly end up realizing that you must write your own applications.

Do you know there any open source head tracking systems that interface with commercial games?

By the way, I noticed that the phrase "head tracking" is typically used to refer to systems that pan the display in the gaming world. I don't know what other phrase to use to limit it to what I call "fish tank VR".

Joe Dunfee

Return to “Do it Yourself!”