Nvidia, Mitsubishi, and Aspen Media Strike a Deal

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Nvidia, Mitsubishi, and Aspen Media Strike a Deal

Post by pixel67 »

Just expanding on Neils comments. Here is a link to the press release:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/06/24/mi ... le-threat/

http://www.aspenmediaproducts.com/mitsu ... nPress.htm

The specifics of what this means to us the end user is still unclear ( a new all in one content solution or another relationship similar to DDD and Samsung). My two take aways are:
1. Nvidia is focusing it's efforts and alliances toward providing a more "out of the box" 3D solution. Yeah! Bring those DLP3D Drivers on!
2. Announcing alliances such as this makes game developers take notice. If Nvidia is investing in this technology, forming alliances to foster 3D gaming and content in the home, then developers should too!

If Nvidia can turn a profit by utilizing their 3D driver to convert content then developers can also make a profit by offering native support.

Can't wait to see what the fruits of their labor will be...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I am hoping this is just one of many deals that will be coming forth in the future. Mitsubishi has been involved in 3d, thats really no surprise. Just like I expect Nvidia to support the Sammy's at some point. But this Aspen Media thing could be very interesting. Presumably they would be offering 3DVOD, which is probably the only way this whole 3d revolution is going to happen. There just isn't the infrastructure to do S3D broadcast at this point. I mean, anyone remember when the first HDTVs came out years ago? Even today only a handful of channels broadcast in HD. So we have a long way to go until S3D is standard. But at least progress is moving in that direction.

Just please tell me they got the rights to Beowulf 3D...
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm expecting to have some more information next week. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Neil
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

This being good news is in contradiction to the interview with Dr Cailliau.

All of these "deals" between specific hardware/software/gaming companies means we are headed for a world where we need to by monitor X to play game Y using glasses Z. It is going to be just like the Beta/VHS or HD/Blu Ray war and the company that has the deepest pockets will win instead of allowing the best product for the consumer to win.

The absolute worst thing that could come from this is if game companies get in bed with a particular 3d hardware provider. If this happens (and I think it already is with EA) then those game companies could continually patch their products to keep them from working with non-partner's 3d solutions.

What we obviously need is some way to bring all companies together to work towards standards where the truly best products win based on what they offer the consumer and we would need to have CHOICES without limiting available content. The number of patents out there now for ways of displaying 3d content is quite disturbing and will only make this a game of who can buy up the patents and gain a monopoly.

I am at a loss of how to accomplish this without someone with some pull in the industry driving this forward. Perhaps then even Punkbuster will not see 3d as a "cheat" once 3d is standardized.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Chris,

You should post your thoughts in the Robert Cailliau thread. It would be interesting to see what he has to say. Make sure you spell things out for him though - he isn't a gamer (yet!). :P

His thread is here:

http://mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1504

Regards,
Neil
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Thanks Neil, I went ahead and posted. I hope someone can save us from these big bad "partnerships". :evil:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

This *is* good news. Deals like this just mean theres more money going into the industry. You do realize how big Mitsubishi is, right? Doesn't matter if its going into Nvidia's pocket at the moment. If they can prove its profitable then other companies will get in on the action. Either way, its still more choices for the consumer and more publicity in general for S3D. Much better than having it just fade into obscurity.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

It seems to be two sides of the same coin :)

And the coin is (in) Stereoscopic 3D!
And this coin will go from our pockets to the pockets of the companies...
so it's also a bad thing :lol:

But it's good to hear things about S-3D. The more the merrier. And if people want to inform themselves more, they get to this forum and we can teach them, what other options they have.
They don't have to sign the pact with the DEVIL :twisted: 8) :twisted:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I can't figure out what that Aspen company sells... a unified interface? a home theater solution? hot air?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Freke1 wrote:I can't figure out what that Aspen company sells... a unified interface? a home theater solution? hot air?
If you have to ask you can't afford it. :wink: And, no, I have no clue either! :lol:
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Maybe it's a TV program? That wouldn't be bad :D

Or it's only some of the next S-3D movies?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

They are probably a company of professional middle men. They try to link two companies together to provide some type of service that either company can't do well alone.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”