Oculus @ CES 2013

Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Re: Oculus @ CES 2013

Post by Oneironaut »

Yeah, can't recall a single negative article. Not even neutral ones, tbh. The absolute WORST that come to mind are the ones along the lines of "not yet convinced that the Rift is the future of gaming", which in the face of the constant universal praise seem almost insulting in nature. This only goes to illustrate the absurdly high standard that the Rift is held up to.

In addition, there have been numerous claims of nausea, but even then it was usually acknowledged that the kinks are likely to get ironed out on subsequent versions. And is it just me or have there been less such reports at CES than previously? May have something to do with the new 1000 Hz sensor?
Last edited by Oneironaut on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
German
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by German »

Oneironaut wrote:Yeah, can't recall a single negative article. Not even neutral ones, tbh. The absolute WORST that come to mind are the comments along the lines of "not yet convinced that this is the future of gaming", which in the face of the constant universal praise seem almost insulting in nature.
I'm not convinced that it is the future of gaming and I don't even think it should be. I am convinced it has a bright future in gaming though.

There is such a thing as too much enthusiasm and if you really think what I just said is "almost insulting in nature", then I think you need to think about your opinion a little more critically.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

There is such a thing as too much enthusiasm and if you really think what I just said is "almost insulting in nature", then I think you need to think about your opinion a little more critically.
I think you misunderstand me. It is, of course, an absurd claim to make so soon, yet a lot of journalists have. All I'm saying is that the the worst thing I recall having been said about the Rift is that it's not necessarily the only path forward--which, again, is absurd considering the usual palette of colorful opinions on new gadgets among the press.

So when the floor is raised like that, if you will, those articles seem to be on the "bashing end" of the spectrum (because you expect there to be one!) as opposed to the wide-eyed glee from the majority of people. It's only an illusion due to how good the Rift actually is.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

See, this is one that I could find:

Oculus Rift impressions: It's amazing until it makes you want to hurl

A flammatory title, sure. Yet despite his sickness, he's definitely not underwhelmed or indifferent:

"Upon first donning the crude black taped goggles - this was a prototype
model after all - I was equally astounded
, with one not-so-minor
side-effect; it left me horribly nauseous."

Some caveats:

"My vision isn't terribly poor, but I am moderately nearsighted with astigmatism,
so that could result in a more negative experience."

Ends on a quasi-positive note:

"Ultimately, the Oculus Rift is a very impressive piece of technology, but one
that comes with a major reservation in its prototype form. Still, I'm
anxious to try it again
and if this does indeed stop being an issue,
the f***ing Matrix may be here sooner than we think."
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Oneironaut wrote:See, this is one that I could find:

Oculus Rift impressions: It's amazing until it makes you want to hurl

A flammatory title, sure. Yet despite his sickness, he's definitely not underwhelmed or indifferent:

"Upon first donning the crude black taped goggles - this was a prototype
model after all - I was equally astounded
, with one not-so-minor
side-effect; it left me horribly nauseous."

Some caveats:

"My vision isn't terribly poor, but I am moderately nearsighted with astigmatism,
so that could result in a more negative experience."

Ends on a quasi-positive note:

"Ultimately, the Oculus Rift is a very impressive piece of technology, but one
that comes with a major reservation in its prototype form. Still, I'm
anxious to try it again
and if this does indeed stop being an issue,
the f***ing Matrix may be here sooner than we think."
You had to go back several months to find a review with a bit of negativity mixed in. Even then there was some pretty high praise involved. I haven't seen any CES articles complain of motion sickness so I think they may have ironed out some of the problems. Even Chris Pirillo (who admits to being prone to motion sickness) didn't feel any symptoms coming on.
Last edited by oculusfan on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

VR will definitely change the landscape of media (and even create some new forms) though it doesn't have to replace them all (AR has a better chance at that). It may not be the ONLY future, but it certainly will be a chunk of it. Though as far as all the VR nuts here are concerned, VR totally is the future of gaming we've been waiting for, and no sceptic can tell us otherwise ;) .
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

I've seen many reviews i've considered neutral. The interviewer where Palmer said "it was nice to have me here" was in a comma or perhaps thought Palmer was an alien. I couldn't be sure. Thats my memory anyway...
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Oh yeah. That interviewer had the demeanor of a reptile. Who knows, maybe he tried to stay "professional" as per TechCrunch guidelines. He may or may not have been impressed.

Care to post some of those neutral reviews? I'd like to do a little reality check on my own perceptions of the device.
Gunshot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gunshot »

it sad, the kind of things that Google Alerts is kicking back at the moment.The Daily Mail is like the British equivalent of the National Enquirer right? they just make things up? because here is a great quote from their article ,"You’re inside the video game – lunging forward with your head to move forward, with phone-style accelerometers telling the system what you’re doing. It doesn’t look dignified, but you’re the one with the techno-goggles on, so you don’t care.Crucially, Rift also looks likely to be cheap. Head-mounted accelerometers and screens were pretty out-there kit when people first started banging on about virtual reality; now, they’re in every mobile phone. But whether buses to work will soon be full of people lunging forward like pecking chickens remains to be seen." what!? garbage.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Like I said in another thread, what is the guy's obsession with "lunging" considering it's something "can't" do in the RIFT nor is it something you "want" to do in it :|

It's almost like they are trying to make people think the RIFT is silly and will make them look silly, for whatever reason they have.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Gunshot wrote:it sad, the kind of things that Google Alerts is kicking back at the moment.The Daily Mail is like the British equivalent of the National Enquirer right? they just make things up? because here is a great quote from their article ,"You’re inside the video game – lunging forward with your head to move forward, with phone-style accelerometers telling the system what you’re doing. It doesn’t look dignified, but you’re the one with the techno-goggles on, so you don’t care.Crucially, Rift also looks likely to be cheap. Head-mounted accelerometers and screens were pretty out-there kit when people first started banging on about virtual reality; now, they’re in every mobile phone. But whether buses to work will soon be full of people lunging forward like pecking chickens remains to be seen." what!? garbage.
Let's just say that, given the choice, The Daily Mail isn't the newspaper I would pick first.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Chriky

Post by Chriky »

It's a total rag.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI[/youtube]
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

I'm not from UK so I don't really follow the Daily Mail and I'm not really familiar with their style of writing (aside from few online articles I've probably been linked to). However, I see on Wikipedia that they tend to be conservative on some issues and I've noticed it's very cool to call anything conservative "a garbage". Great work from great scientists can suddenly be seen as a garbage in public eyes if media found out scientists has some conservative views on social subjects. Pretty disturbing, if you ask me.

Now, can anyone link me this video interview with TechCrunch? Thanks.
This member owns things.
ChrisP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChrisP »

Here you go.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

I liked the TechCrunch interview, but it is very hard to get a reading during the video on what Anthony Ha's reaction to the demo was. The article itself seems to do the job though.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

ChrisP wrote:Here you go.
Thanks. I've been there earlier and haven't seen any video. Now I realize it was the Ghostery that was blocking it. Thanks again.
This member owns things.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

However, I see on Wikipedia that they tend to be conservative on some issues and I've noticed it's very cool to call anything conservative "a garbage"
Without getting into politics and acknowledging that this is a very easy connotation to make, I'll say that you don't really need any context to see that this article sucks. And if it's at all representative of the overall quality (it is), it won't take a genius to understand why the magazine rhymes with Fail.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Worse, the Daily Mail is - more often than not - just flat-out incorrect. Their basic fact-checking is atrocious, to the point that if you took every report from them as the exact opposite of what it claims, you'd end up with a more accurate appraisal of the truth.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Guys, please be considerate that political and religious discussion is not allowed here. Thanks.
danielbln
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danielbln »

Guys, mind taking this discussion elsewhere? I keep on checking up on this thread in anticipation on some new juicy Rift videos, not so much because of political discourse.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

too be fair i complained about the daily mail based on it's political viewpoint. which i think is a product of their lack of fact checking. i slipped up there sorry. i just wanted to give a comparison to something more people would be familiar with.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

seems like a non-sequitur to me.
ChrisP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChrisP »

so..... any new video's?
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

there was mention that hiphopgamer would have more about the rift. but most stuff from CES has been posted. not sure if there's another event between now and delivery of kits.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

ChrisP wrote:so..... any new video's?
Here's an inside look at Oculus:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC3E2Ph5OsM[/youtube]
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

jaybug wrote:?
Here's an inside look at Oculus:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I swear I read "Inside of Shelby with Oculus" :woot
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

PasticheDonkey wrote:there was mention that hiphopgamer would have more about the rift. but most stuff from CES has been posted. not sure if there's another event between now and delivery of kits.
There was one with two bearded Intel employees where he asked them about the Rift, I don't think there are any others yet.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnM8cHtT6kE[/youtube]
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Can we please get rid of all this off-topic crap? I have strong convictions as much as the next guy, but I come here to read about the Oculus Rift, not about politics or religion.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Can we please get rid of all this off-topic crap? I have strong convictions as much as the next guy, but I come here to read about the Oculus Rift, not about politics or religion.
Yes, I agree. We've banned people for not respecting the "no politics" and "no religion" rules in our forums, and we will do it again. Please keep things on topic.

EDIT: I'm deleting a few of the posts in this thread as they are off topic and aren't in line with the no politics / no religion MTBS requirements.

Regards,
Neil
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I don't know whats my favorite CES Rift quote yet :

A) You cannot be told about the Oculus Rift
B) Holy f*cking sh*t
C) It was great having me
D) it's Ocalis Riff, shaddap, listen
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

"it's a virtual drug"
snorelab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snorelab »

For me the best was the guy who after a few seconds with the Rift on said (paraphrasing) "It doesn't feel like I'm inside the game, obviously". Then a few minutes later he breathlessly claims, "I'm inside the game". That was sweet. It shows that even if you're not ready and willing to give in to the feeling at first it will take you over.
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

WOW the two bearded Intel employees were so cool 8-) and one of them so rift-addicted :woot
too bad the audio was so bad it was barely understandable for me (it seems the hand mic was not working and they were recording from the camcorder mic)

the second video from hip-hop gamer was too much even for the character. I mean, how can you possibibly look at the citadel demo on a standard monitor and say "graphics looks insane" :lol: You can't, because if you say the same for the rift itself, it looks like a far less appealing device
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

compared to doom 3 BFG which he saw last.
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

well, that makes sense :D
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Crespo, I understand what you are saying but the video gave me a positive vibe and I did not think of that comment until you pointed it out.

I also think it must have been an improvement compared to Doom3.
In my opinion, HipHopgamer made some comments and observations in this video that was better than what I have seen
from him before (on the topic of Oculus Rift)
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

he's not the brightest bulb. he doesn't know the ins and outs of what makes the stuff he likes good, but he likes good stuff mostly and has an infectious positivity.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Guy is over the top in a good way. Fresh. A tiny bit annoyed by "Ooooh! Ooooh!" even before he hears what's going on.

-So you see these birds? There is a...
-Oooh! Ooooooh! :o
-There is a glitch. You won't see them here...
-Oh. OK. :)

Something like that.
This member owns things.
JayJay
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JayJay »

PasticheDonkey wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uso6vxZ5O4c[/youtube]
Hahaha, epic stuff! He's already tripping just thinking about the fact he'll have the rift on his head again in a moment, fantastic :D
"Creating the world's most immersive virtual reality erotic encounters @ http://www.wickedparadise.com"

Return to “Oculus VR”