Wii U (what is it good for ?)

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Wii U (what is it good for ?)

Post by brantlew »

Is it just me or is anyone else having a hard time buying into the Wii U concept? The original Wii was a revelation, but the Wii U just doesn't seem well thought out to me. Almost like an attempt to cash-in on the tablet craze but without a sound, cohesive gameplay strategy. I know they have shown off a bunch of possibilities for "asymmetrical" gameplay but honestly the only one that I thought looked interesting was the ability to use the device as a moving "window" into the virtual world. And still that even seems a bit "forced" and gimmicky to me. It seems like the Wii U controller makes an interesting peripheral but not a fundamental core feature of the platform - but Nintendo is betting a lot that game makers will incorporate it as a core gameplay mechanic. The concept of motion control is great and I wish instead of doing the Wii U that Nintendo would have simply refined and extended general motion and body control instead.

Just my 2 cents.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Wii U (what is it good for ?)

Post by Dom »

I think alot of people will like the multiplayer part even if its just playing a 3d boardgame, being able to visual chat on the tablet with other wii friends. Won't you still be able to use the older controllers for like dancing. The graphics on the wii u will be alot better i asume, 1080p. I think the tablet for a visual aspect will be more pleasing for a glance just like how the wii mote had the extra sound coming from it. Its also one of those things that are meant more for kids, teenagers and families, I think.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

The big selling point of the tablet, for me at least, is that you can use it as the main display for some games instead of monopolizing the TV. A lot of people are going to like that, especially parents!

They kept the old motion controls, so I think we will still see a lot of that in the future.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I don't think I will buy one, but I could see the appeal.

The second screen could be used similar to how the DS (or 3DS) works. I think we have seen a lot of innovative gameplay come out of the DS. More than just displays for maps and inventory (though I'm sure a lot of games will do this too). Things like solving puzzles, hacking sequences, picking locks, and stuff like that all work well on a touch screen. So there is a lot of potential there.

But I do agree that I wish they went further down the road of motion-control and full body interaction.

Return to “3D Console Gaming”