PS3 - Assassin's Creed 3 in 3D

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
android78
Certif-Eyable!

PS3 - Assassin's Creed 3 in 3D

Post by android78 »

I got this game for PS3, and after playing it for a few hours I figure I should let you guys know my opinion of the 3D.
So do my usual for console games...
Step 1: in the options turn on stereoscopic 3D
Step 2: set the depth to 100 (or maximum)
Step 3: start playing

The first think I notice is that the game starts with pre-rendered cut scenes, and these are 100% flat, no depth at all! Ok, I guess that they just didn't have time to render a second view and get rid of any potential issues with the rendering. Then there are some real time cut scenes, and these are fortunately in 3D. The problem is that it's immediately obvious that this is using the method of rendering the scene and using the z buffer as a post render to create the stereoscopic depth. All the object have the stretched pixel 'lens' effect, but I'm willing to forgive this as I understand the trade offs with frame rate if they have to render every frame twice.
The next thing you notice is that the close ups are very flat! Things in the distance seem to have a lot more depth then things up close. As you play, it's quite frustrating since you will be walking down a flat road, and it looks as if you're walking over a hill, since it seems to compress the depth at close range, but the further out, the depth is not compressed as much. I'm not sure if the issue is a non-linear depth buffer and they're not using appropriate translation between the values and the depth rendering, intentional or not, but it's quite annoying... especially since there is a lot of flat streets that you will be walking down (or up as it appears on screen).
The combination of the 'lens effect', the non-linearity of depth and the flat pre-rendered cut scenes makes it a lot less enjoyable then it should be, and it seems like the 3D was just an after thought. I usually play the games that allow stereoscopic in 3D, but I am tempted to turn off the 3D in this game and forget it exists.
As for the game itself... I haven't got very far into it, but has been enjoyable so far, even though I have already encountered numerous bugs - Pat a horse and a cat appears out of nowhere, there's a guitar sitting through a chair, the captain of the boat is talking, but lips aren't moving, etc. These bugs haven't really damaged the game, but do detract from the experience.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: PS3 - Assassin's Creed 3 in 3D

Post by cybereality »

Thanks. Sad they used 2D+depth, but it sounds like it worked out OK.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Thanks. Sad they used 2D+depth, but it sounds like it worked out OK.
Evaluating the 3D as 'OK' would be generous. I can kind of accept the lower then optimal depth, but the non-linearity is a killer for me and just ruins the experience.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I've been a huge fan of the ac series and enjoyed all the sequels until now. The tiny amount of time between the later releases makes me suspicious if i should put this on preorder (as all the others) or just wait for a while. I get the "milk the last drop of the cow" feeling but i could of course be wrong. Let's see if the s-3d reviews for pc looks better.
Anyway: The cutscenes in assassins creed (s-3d) have almost always been totally out of wack in earlier sequels and forced use of different s-3d settings compared to gameplay. If they still use the same engine (probably) it will probably be the same in this one while using 3'rd party stereodrivers.
It still cool with native "stereorendering" and at the same time a huge nag with 2d+depth and the visual limits of this method.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “3D Console Gaming”