What's your education background?

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
wavefunction
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: What's your education background?

Post by wavefunction »

I'm going to be the odd one out here. I have a Master's Degree in Philosophy. :lol:

My thesis was on the ramifications of AI (semantic understanding in syntactic systems blah blah) and I've been obsessed with VR since I knew what it was. Having little technical background, I'm just here to learn and bounce ideas off of people. I'm also learning the Unity engine to make something neat in VR later on down the road (when I get free time).
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Note: the OP was a spammer (and was deleted from the forum) but I think the thread is interesting so I'll leave it.

I actually have a BFA in Computer Art. Seems strange for a programmer to go to art school, but thats how it worked out. Its actually good for me, since I got involved in a lot of aspects of game development and design, from 3D modelling and texturing, sound design, game programming, video editing, and all that good stuff. So I kind of feel like a jack of all trades.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Yeah, I think it's interesting to know a bit more about the regulars. (wish people would at least show their geographic region) I'm pretty generic for a tech forum. Got a BS in Computer Science from UT Austin a long time ago.
MemeBox
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by MemeBox »

I'm working as an ASP.NET/javascript developer. I live in the UK...
I have a degree: BSc Computer Science
I'm doing a part time MSc in maths with the Open University.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

BS in Electrical Engineering. Graduated in 2010, but just got around to finding a job this year, so I'm still pretty green! :)

Just changed jobs actually. Although I don't have any formal programming education, I started as a software dev last week.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I got a "DUT Informatique" many moons ago, looks somewhat equivalent to an associate degree in CS in the US. Went there after a Baccalauréat (high school diploma it seems) in maths/physics/biology and failed a cursus in mathematics before going for it.
TheRealistWord
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheRealistWord »

Hah, cyber and I are pretty similar in some aspects it seems. I also graduated with my BFA in computer art (it was more of a 2D concentration with Photoshop and Illustrator and such, no 3D), but I've been independently learning 3D animation for about 8 years now (my avatar pic on here is actually a zombie I modeled, supposed to be from Plants Vs. Zombies). I was studying music recording tech for a year when I first entered college, and I have a little home recording studio set up whenever I feel the need to lay down a track or two, but I switched to computer art. My main interest (and my life atm) is indie video game development and programming! It's definitely interesting to hear about everyone's background. VR is for anyone :D
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

I'm a Psychologist.

I recently started to learn Python and Unity3D. I realized that I need to learn to read and speak Computer if I am to stay current in my field.

BTW, I've seen some chatter going on about VR therapy. It's one of the reasons I got myself into this big and awesome mess :)
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Homeschooled most of my life, a few short stints at private schools. Got more than halfway through my bachelor's in Journalism at one college, had a transfer promise to another college, went for it, got completely screwed by their system and the administration in a way that meant I would have been out of school for at least a semester, decided to take a break, never went back. :P
PatimPatam
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by PatimPatam »

Hi there, nice to know a bit of background from people! I've got a MSc in Computer Science from UPC Barcelona and the BSc from North Wales University. Currently working as an ASP.Net developer near Bcn.

Silly question, how do you share your location in your posts under the avatar? I've got the State/Province filled in on my profile page and i can't find any related option under board preferences. Maybe i'm blind..
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

PatimPatam wrote:Hi there, nice to know a bit of background from people! I've got a MSc in Computer Science from UPC Barcelona and the BSc from North Wales University. Currently working as an ASP.Net developer near Bcn.

Silly question, how do you share your location in your posts under the avatar? I've got the State/Province filled in on my profile page and i can't find any related option under board preferences. Maybe i'm blind..

In your profile, put something in the "Location" field.
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

Thx brantlew, there it is! Oh dear what a noob i am, i looked like 4 times at that form. It goes to show that all those degrees don't mean that much heheh.

Oh and i forgot to mention, i'm also working in my spare time on a positional tracking system which i think could be a good option for the Rift.. You'll hear a lot more from me very soon (probably by next week) :-)
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, working in aerospace near DC.

I like to program, just not for a living.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I think it's funny that a spammer finally added something productive to the forums. Thank you spammer, wherever you are...

I have a BA in Communications. This is why I talk too much. I'm proud to say that I recently started to do some work for the local university as well (UOIT).

Regards,
Neil

Return to “General Discussion”