5 x VR920 on a wirless system ?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Zede
One Eyed Hopeful

5 x VR920 on a wirless system ?

Post by Zede »

Good Day !

Ive currently got 5 PCs hooked up via a wireless router. My friends & I play the likes of Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2, Warcraft, Serious Sam all at the same time via the wireless, tis good fun.

Having been a avid follower of VR since going to a "Virtual Reality" gaming centre in Nottingham in 1993, ive just purchased from the States 1x Vuzix VR920.. obviously I want to get the Nvidia Stereo drivers & compatible video card, and I found this one on ebay - would it be sufficiant...and does anyone know if this card can be ran in SLI mode ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ideo+Cards

so...running 5 x VR920 units on 5 PCs...in conjunction with 5 x http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/829/829298p1.html ( its the pneumatic vest simulating getting hit ! Im hoping this set up would be pretty groovy ! Or...am I way in over head ? :p I expect some problems setting it all up of course, but hopefully nothing insurmountable :)

Any clues in the right direction would be appreciated. Oh, and im relieved to find a sight dedicated to vision..nice to see other people think the same way :)

Its all Billy Gibsons fault, nerf him !

Zede
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Hi & welcome to the forum. I hope to see you more often here (maybe in one of the other sections , too :-))

1) Right a 7950gt should be about the fastest card to run the 'old-school' NV drivers (like 94.24).
I'm not shure if a 7900GTX is faster, but it needs more energy, too...

2) running 5 headsets on 5 computers should be possible, why not? Except they use the same frequency for something...
but I don't think that, because they are connected with USB for that stuff...

Maybe it's best to try out all this stuff on the PC no1 first and then get it for the others. Next: I'm not shure how it affects gameplay, especially with all those wires and machines... but I'm shure it would be realy nice, if it works good in conjunction to your games.

3) I'm not shure about Wc3... it's one of the few games, that realy need some resolution and don't profit that much from S-3D :-(
I dare say you would want to play it on a normal screen to have less weight on the head and more resolution...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Zede
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zede »

Thanks Luke

Ive been an active forumite c/o Dark Age of Camelot at Freddyshouse, so you got me im afriad !

Could anyone advise if people from this forum have actually tried any networked gameplay with the VR920, or any other steroscopic device ? ( would hate to be the first !)
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I only tried Shutter Glasses in cable LAN...
It works good. Actually I played the old Racedriver and Flatout2 a lot in LAN. It does not data-exchange, except there is some PunkBuster running, which does not like your driver :D

I don't know, how wireless Lan behaves when playing... maybe you'll loose connection or have LAGs :roll:

ah before I forget: I notice some lags when bandwith is limited (like you need to do it for internet playing) and a singlecore 3000+ cpu is the host :D

Let's hear from the VR920 users... :wink:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The VR920 works just like a monitor, so yeah it should work networked no problem. I've played some games online with it (CS:S, Dystopia, etc.) so it can be used in this fashion. Its not exactly a competitive advantage, but it does take the game to another level. It shouldn't matter whether its 1 PC or 5 PCs, the glasses won't know the difference. So that should technically work, provided everything is configured properly. I'm not sure about SLI or not, but the geforce 7xxx series is the best card you're going to find for stereo gaming with the Nvidia driver on XP. Make sure you are running XP, since the Nvidia 3d driver won't work with the VR920 under Vista. The VR920 has a native resolution of 640x480 with a max input of 1024x768, so performance is not an issue. I usually run in 800x600 so framerates are good in general.

Some other things to consider: The VR920 cord is not especially long. You can be maybe a maximum of 3-4 feet away from the computer. So you can play standing up, but you won't have a lot of room to move/spin around. The headtracking works, but its not entirely accurate. So its more useful in games like driving/flight sims, where the headtracking is just for auxiliary functions (looking out the window, etc.). In FPS or other competitive twitch-based games it can be very difficult to use effectively. So if you are in a competition its better to leave the tracking off. I would buy one headset first and test it to make sure it does what you need it to do and that the games you want to play are supported good. Also, that 3rdSpace vest looks pretty cool, I've been wanting to pick that up for a minute.

One other thing, Zebe. How did you find out about the VR920? I've noticed a huge upswing in the interest within the past month or so. Is Vuzix finally advertising?
Last edited by cybereality on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zede
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zede »

I understand the head tracking is not entirely suited to say first person shooters. :) but my perspective is this - if everyone playing is using the headset(& vest !), people will adapt to what ever the headset can allow movement wise, hopefully will be something close to normal... although a little slower is guaranteed !
Zede
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Zede wrote:I understand the head tracking is not entirely suited to say first person shooters. :) but my perspective is this - if everyone playing is using the headset(& vest !), people will adapt to what ever the headset can allow movement wise, hopefully will be something close to normal... although a little slower is guaranteed !
Ok, in that case its not a problem. If everyone plays with the headsets its fair. I was saying if it was your clan vs. others at like a lan party, you might be at a disadvantage.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”