Oculus Virtual Lounge (VirtuaView)

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Oculus Virtual Lounge

Post by Namielus »

Yea im not aiming to compete with The Gallery and I will be a backer of them.
In fact I removed all references to my own project in honor of The Gallery.

Once my kickstarter goes live, I will replace it back again with my virtual cinema project.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Namielus wrote:http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/05/ocul ... rview-3395

Cool people at RoadToVR interviewed me :D
My views on Leap motion for hand tracking has changed since the interview -
But otherwise I am happy with it.

Also, enjoy the sneak peek at the User Interface
What are your current views then? I'm intrigued.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

simply put, leap motion cant track your arms as it is now. It prefers fingertips/palms.
Riftoholic

yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Namielus wrote:simply put, leap motion cant track your arms as it is now. It prefers fingertips/palms.
That is sort of the feeling I had about it. Thanks for the confirmation.
Visual Knight
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Visual Knight »

Originally I wanted to do a lounge, Have my mind on a different type of thing.- but you thought of so much more in terms of interaction you have me beat :) Virtual Cinema is a great idea. I wonder if its possible to get 3D movies to render to separate eyes.
stairs.jpg
Open-Wooden-Staircase-Open-Plan-Living-Room-Design-with-Cozy-Black-and-White-Sofa-927x619.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMD 8 Core 8150FX CPU OC'ed to 3.9Ghz / XFX AMD 7990 6GB Video / 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM / 256GB Kingston SSDNOW Sold-State Drive / Windows 7 64-bit / Sony 3D monitor
maboo63
Cross Eyed!

Post by maboo63 »

man visual knight that looks great
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Visual Knight wrote:Originally I wanted to do a lounge, Have my mind on a different type of thing.- but you thought of so much more in terms of interaction you have me beat :) Virtual Cinema is a great idea. I wonder if its possible to get 3D movies to render to separate eyes.
stairs.jpg
Open-Wooden-Staircase-Open-Plan-Living-Room-Design-with-Cozy-Black-and-White-Sofa-927x619.jpeg
yes 3D movies can render to each eye :)
Riftoholic

mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

Just read over the entire thread.. quiet a mission in itself ;)

Really looking forward to the KickStarter Campaign.

I'm a developer with Unity4 Pro license & loads of assets + Leap Motion & Hydra.
I programme in C # & use Maya ... so if you require assets etc.. drop me a line.

I really dig the idea of being able to play retro games on Mame.. ( Ready Player One )

I feel the Leap is great for a virtual keyboard and Hydra for general interaction.

NGUI/ MegaFiers+Shapes / NData /

I have an A.R site http://www.market3dmedia.com but my passion still lies all things V.R ever since Dactyl Nightmare came to town...

I remember lining up to play space Invaders when it finally landed at the corner store... sure would like to meld that into a VR experience.
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

gl with the kickstarter :)

i hope the virtual cinema will look nice
kenman884
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kenman884 »

It would be great if people could meet in a virtual world, with full eye contact and head tracking (eye tracking and facial expression tracking would be even better, but in due time...). Communication would be in-game, and the closer you are to someone the louder they are (like real life).

Then, you could go places together, like the virtual cinema, or other game modules that you could buy/download. This being a virtual world, you could get there any way you please; driving, flying, jetpack, teleportation, running like Sonic, or even just walking and enjoying the scenery.

Of course this probably won't happen :cry: but I can dream right?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I will make sure it comes true
Riftoholic

kenman884
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kenman884 »

Namielus wrote:I will make sure it comes true
If you have anything that a mechanical engineer could do, I will most certainly help :D
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I do need that! Will send you some info
Riftoholic

TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

kenman884 wrote:
Namielus wrote:I will make sure it comes true
If you have anything that a mechanical engineer could do, I will most certainly help :D
Namielus wrote:I do need that! Will send you some info
Namielus, if you have anything that an enthusiast can do I will help too! :D Seriously though, I'm not a programmer but have dev kit on the way and this is probably the project that I am most looking forward to. Like you, I am teaching myself to program and familiarizing myself with unity & udk. PM if you want free help with your project. Maybe you can find something for me to do! :geek:
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

this is an awesome idea! I would back it. Needs XBMC support
joakizmo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by joakizmo »

I paid Namielus a visit today to try out his Rift, and also his Virtual Cinema.

First of all I'd like to comment on how it really feels like being in a theater, as you probably should expect; it's a cinema in virtual reality. But as the skeptic I am, as I put on the goggles, I somehow assumed it would feel.. off. As if I were just looking at a movie through Sony HMZ, or some other typical HMD. It didn't. I was in a cinema, watching a movie. A couple of rows behind me there was a heckler, waving his arms. What a douche.
Of course, hardware-wise, you have the infamous screen door effect. It is indeed noticeable, when you first "enter the Rift". Then suddenly, it is as if your brain goes "What? Lines between the pixels, you say? I'll help you forget about that by focusing more on the fact that you're inside a game", and you just forget about it all together and start looking around. It's still there though, and you really can't help noticing it when you try to look closer at detailed objects.
I had expected the resolution to be more of a problem, but as the demos and the cinema were outputting the Rifts native resolution, it sort of felt right. And as you watch a movie in the cinema, your brain still goes "You're inside a game.. Forget about the resolution.. Forget about it, maan." like some sort of doped up hippie. And it works.
Although I'm sort of downplaying the screen door effect and the resolution, there's no denying they're both big problems if you're looking for a HMD for movies and games. The Rift DK is really fun, and when I get mine, I'm sure I'll sit inside playing with it for hours, days and months. But as I set sail and rift away, I'll be patiently awaiting the real deal; the consumer version of the Rift. (or DK2, whichever comes first)
Oh yeah, and no positional tracking. It will no doubt be super cool when Oculus add it, but I had no problems at all feeling immersed without it.

To summon up; the scale of the cinema felt just right, and even though the resolution spits in the face of HD movies and you'll probably notice some degree of the screen door effect, I quietly wished for Namielus to shut up with his lecture, so that I could lean back and watch the film. I was after at the movies.
Then we ate some pizza. It was great pizza. The first one had pepperoni.

tl;dr I ate some pizza and tried the Virtual Cinema with the Rift. Both were great.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

What a great idea! Oculus Rift Demo! Price: One Pizza
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

I'd like to hear more about the pizza.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

For the record, I gave Joakizmo the pizza not the other way around.
Riftoholic

joakizmo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by joakizmo »

Two pizzas. One with pepperoni and corn and stuff, the other with some other stuff on it. The last one I thought was Dr Oetkers but, to my surprise, it turned out to be Coop. The pizzas were baked in some sort of small magic pizza baking oven, which Namielus insisted made the crust taste and feel better. This is of course way out of my technical understanding, so I just nodded and agreed. It tasted superb though. The pizzas were served by Namielus' maid, Ingvild, who also offered Coca Cola.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

http://www.kaenkky.com/kuvat/artikkeli/ ... pronto.jpg

Pizza Pronto - The Oculus Rift of affordable pizza ovens.
Riftoholic

Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Has this gone live yet? Will you offer the basic theater as an incentive? Is Imax going to be an option? Will you support options to include crying babies? I want to give you money for the kickstarter! Take my money and let me watch Willow!
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

When my kickstarter launches, even the lowest tier will allow instant access to the basic cinema room alpha.

- 1 or 2 rooms
- Basic user interface to allow dynamic browsing of any video file from one predefined folder
- Optional NPC's but no multiplayer

But, if the kickstarter is succesful, even the lowest reward tier will be fully featured and there will be no stripped down versions.
I promise you will be happy with the price.

Also, Imax will look like a little portable tv in comparison to the largest room/screen the final vr-cinema is going to offer.
Think larger than anything that exists on earth.
Riftoholic

Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

If i can make one small suggestion. Make a Drive-in Feature mode. That would be so cool!
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Namielus wrote:When my kickstarter launches, even the lowest tier will allow instant access to the basic cinema room alpha.

- 1 or 2 rooms
- Basic user interface to allow dynamic browsing of any video file from one predefined folder
- Optional NPC's but no multiplayer

But, if the kickstarter is succesful, even the lowest reward tier will be fully featured and there will be no stripped down versions.
I promise you will be happy with the price.

Also, Imax will look like a little portable tv in comparison to the largest room/screen the final vr-cinema is going to offer.
Think larger than anything that exists on earth.

Any solid date on when the Kickstarter is going to take place?
zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zerax »

Are you going to include a 2d to 3d conversion In your Virtual Cinema.

There is a 2D to 3D plugin for Stereoscopic Player, I have tested this with cross eye viewing, and it works. I think you have to swap Left/Right eye settings in 3Dfier control panel to get the OR to display the video properly. User's guide for 3Dfier is in zip file

Let me know if this actually works. My Rift is on the way, I'm in the 20XXX badge :(

3Dfier 2D to 3D filter for Stereoscopic Player
http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/8be909bc

Stereoscopic Player latest version (2.0.5) with Rift support
http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads/Index_en.aspx
3Dmon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3Dmon »

I really like the Drive In idea!
maboo63
Cross Eyed!

Post by maboo63 »

damn i really wanted to get more information about the pizzas......
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Vamplifire wrote:If i can make one small suggestion. Make a Drive-in Feature mode. That would be so cool!
I can probably make a drive in where all the cars are parked but I don't have the resources to make a car-sim just
for driving into the thing.
Riftoholic

user548
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user548 »

I've address a few issues like positional head tracking, I have cars in game, Leap Motion support.
Here is a demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1QocedNBI
I plan to have networking support with some type of physics so players can play basketball, chess, etc.
That will be a challenge.
I get my Razer Hydra today to begin toying with that as a control mechanism.
- Harley
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Another ditto on the Drive-in idea, as they recently closed down my hometown's real world version. I grew up near that thing, and wish they weren't such a dying breed.
Teluan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teluan »

Is there a rough project schedule for the Virtual Lounge (I am an IT project manager so...I had to ask)?

Maybe we should get the 2-3 people who seem to be developing this and have them do a kickstarter. I would be totally down for backing a MTBS3D/Oculus lounge.

VRMatthew
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Namielus Have you got an exact date that your kickstarter will start.
Ive been following your project since i discovered mtbs and im really looking forward to seeing its success on kickstarter.
TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

Teluan wrote:Is there a rough project schedule for the Virtual Lounge (I am an IT project manager so...I had to ask)?

Maybe we should get the 2-3 people who seem to be developing this and have them do a kickstarter. I would be totally down for backing a MTBS3D/Oculus lounge.

VRMatthew
Rickardo69 wrote:Namielus Have you got an exact date that your kickstarter will start.
Ive been following your project since i discovered mtbs and im really looking forward to seeing its success on kickstarter.

I'm sure you know this already Namielus but you're starting to build quite the fanbase! I know you can't rush things but throw us a bone :P
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

Bretspot wrote:I think its a great idea too, especially considering that this will be many peoples first (and only) HMD.

Also it could be useful for people without 3d Monitors. Want to play a 3D game that is not designed for the rift? it might be interesting to play the game inside a monitor (or cinema screen) inside your HMD, then just use your mouse/keyboard to control it while sitting at your desk.

Inside the VR world you could look around and whatnot just like sitting at your desk.

yes, the resolution is a problem now, but not in the future (hopefully).
I just wanted to offer my approval for this suggestion. If you had a kickstarter, a major problem with VR games is a lack of content and nausea. Adding a virtual monitor that was in 3d would be a major plus for any rift owner and is probably a bigger 'buy' for backers once the rift comes out next year. You could easily, EASILY get 2000 people at 20 dollars a pop to 'invest' on kickstarter.

This assumes they sell around 100k devices next year though, which seems very plausible.

As for virtual meetings in a business setting, my suggestion is that most businesses are not ready for that idea but that doesn't mean it isn't a great idea. I really think it is!
Visual Knight
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Visual Knight »

If you plan on putting video in a virtual environment and your using DUD. They currently having video licensing issues with Bink and SpeedTree. CyberReality is currently looking into the issue.
AMD 8 Core 8150FX CPU OC'ed to 3.9Ghz / XFX AMD 7990 6GB Video / 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM / 256GB Kingston SSDNOW Sold-State Drive / Windows 7 64-bit / Sony 3D monitor
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

How about an idea for a high end tier?

I'd love to be able to add a room in my house, and then I go through a door and I'm in an amazing custom home cinema. So maybe if you paid a high price you could offer to take photos of a room and make a custom model of eg their lounge, and going through the door that normally leads to the kitchen suddenly leads to one of your cinemas?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

how much would you pay for that? I was actually planning a high end tier like that - but it would be for companies wanting to add rooms in the virtual lounge for users to explore (marketing benefits)
I think the amount of work it would take me to make a custom room for just one person would make it not worth while in terms of price.

Maybe I could have adding your own rooms easily as a stretch goal.
Riftoholic

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Visual Knight wrote:If you plan on putting video in a virtual environment and your using DUD. They currently having video licensing issues with Bink and SpeedTree. CyberReality is currently looking into the issue.
Im not sure what DUD is, care to explain?
Riftoholic

yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Namielus wrote:how much would you pay for that? I was actually planning a high end tier like that - but it would be for companies wanting to add rooms in the virtual lounge for users to explore (marketing benefits)
I think the amount of work it would take me to make a custom room for just one person would make it not worth while in terms of price.

Maybe I could have adding your own rooms easily as a stretch goal.
You mean, like equip and decorate your own space. Like an office or apartment. That sounds good. It would be like your "home" or starting place in the lounge.

Return to “Oculus VR”