Oculus Virtual Lounge (VirtuaView)

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Oculus Virtual Lounge

Post by geekmaster »

AdaAugmented wrote:Can't wait to watch movies together with other people over the net. I already do this once in a while with friends in other countries, either one of us streaming to the others, or everyone syncing a local copy of the movie.. but I think having a virtual environment to lounge in together would be really sociable and awesome.
A "dedicated heckler" show: MST3K VR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVo0dyjnWYo&t=08m10s

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVo0dyjnWYo[/youtube]
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Thanks for the tip geekmaster
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
phillypro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phillypro »

namielus your idea has been the coolest idea ive seen so far....

it teases my imagination.....i would definitely endure the drop in content resolution to enjoy the scenery of your online virtual theatre

i see a big future for this.....maybe by the time the Kinect 3 (the one after the new one) comes out...the technology will be there for lag free accurate full body and facial expressiona tracking for your lounge

for now...just perfect that theater and arcade room....im looking forward to the realistic lighting effects from the screen....i dont know how possible it is to pull that off....but if you do it....OH MY GOD

and a slight theater sound ambiance for whatever room they are in

take a look at retrocopy on youtube....he already created live walk up and play arcades in a virtual room...maybe he can have some pointers for you :)
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I am working hard on getting the movie texture to emit light into the room. So far I have been playing around with streaming the same video twice, one as a flat texture and one as a projector.
But there might be less cpu-efficient ways to do it.

In any case, I will upload a new video once its looking better.
Riftoholic

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I need a cheap, easy to install (usb 3.0 ?) capture card to demonstrate connecting consoles etc to the virtual cinema and display it on the screen.
Already have Haupauge hdpvr, but the latency from the capture device to the computer is so slow its crazy. Unplayable.

Therefore I need the fastest USB capture card there is, it doesn't need to be HD.
It should have s-video , composite and component.

Please help! Might make a separate thread for this as its very important.
Riftoholic

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

You might want to look into this:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

thanks for the tip! I might get it out of sheer desperation, because i need it within 5 days.
Since I wont be able to have it shipped in time, I have to buy it locally.
The Intensity Shuttle is 460 dollars here, and I dont even need 720p at the moment.

For other uses, it might be cool to have tho.
Riftoholic

radicaledward101
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by radicaledward101 »

cybereality wrote:You might want to look into this:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/
Be careful with this. The intensity shuttle only supports a very specific chip set.

From http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... techspecs/:
Requires an x58 based motherboard with onboard USB 3.0, or a USB 3.0 PCI Express card and an x58 or P55 series motherboard.
I use a Dazzle DVC100 for Standard Definition streaming on Twitch.tv. If you want to get a Dazzle, you must get the White DVC100. Many of the other versions (and colours) will not work for modern operating systems, or will, in general, just fail you in some other manner. The Dazzle supports RCA and S-Video, which means that even modern consoles work on it. However it does not support widescreen playback even though some modern consoles are capable of broadcasting a widescreen signal over RCA. Around here (Ohio), you can get a Dazzle off the shelf for $50 (USD). If you get one on ebay or similar you may be able to find one for as low as $20 (USD). The Dazzle seems to be the standard SD capture card for Twitch.tv broadcasters.

One thing to note: To my knowledge, no capture cards in existence support lagless video display. All the capture cards I have ever used, or seen used, have some delay between the video displayed on the computer and the video displayed on a TV that is directly attached. These capture cards have been optimized for video recording and playback. They are not for picture-in-picture gaming. For some games this will not be noticeable, but for games requiring reflex reactions to visual cues, like Street Fighter, it can really harm the experience.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thanks, radicaledward101. Thats good to know.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Thanks for the tip
I dont need it for high performance, just casual gaming.
Need to show the proof-of-concept.
Super Mario Bros and similar types of games

I just need it to be better than Haupauge Hd pvr , that thing has seconds of latency rather than milliseconds.

Btw; Can you try to give me an idea of what kind of latency I should expect from Dazzle DVC100?
Is it in the 50's 100's 500's or more than 1000ms range?
Riftoholic

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I have the Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device, I was using to convert VHS tapes to digital format. Its very cheap, and supports S-Video.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-Tou ... 000VM60I8/

I don't know how you would feed that into a 3D engine, but I imagine its possible.
radicaledward101
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by radicaledward101 »

cybereality wrote:Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device
For proof of concept this is not a bad option. The people I've talked to that have used these for streaming generally haven't had much trouble, but have quickly become disappointed by the quality and opted for an upgrade.

I can't speak much on integrating the captured video into 3D. The next step is probably to check on what output formats are supported by each capture card. Pick a card that has an output format that will be easy to integrate with your engine.
HarleyMills
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HarleyMills »

Namielus wrote:Thanks for the tip
I dont need it for high performance, just casual gaming.
Need to show the proof-of-concept.
Super Mario Bros and similar types of games

Have you tried using an emulator? I know it would be more complicated to get every emulator to work with this rather than just implementing the video capture device. It would allow you to create your proof of concept without spending any money though. This SNES emulator already has side by side stereoscopy built in too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUkRqY1bRak
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Huh? No no, emulators does in fact work.
Thats easy.

I really want to have the possibility to actually connect real devices. Maybe its just me, but I find the concept very cool.
Last edited by Namielus on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riftoholic

Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Are you planning to support live streams from Twitch TV, and UStream in the virtual cinema?

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
HarleyMills
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HarleyMills »

Namielus wrote:Huh? No no emulators work.
Thats easy.

I really want to have the possibility to actually connect real devices. Maybe its just me, but I find the concept very cool.

Yea, hooking up an actual SNES (or any physical device really)would be the best option. Most people didn't keep all of their old consoles though. I guess someone could still route an emulator through a video capture device. However, most people don't own a video capture device. More options = better I say.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

HarleyMills, I was not phrasing myself very well. Emulators are no problem, I can just stream them through directshow.
So emulators will be supported.

Marulu, thats the plan
Riftoholic

Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

I think I've missed the post about why this video capture device is needed, but just an idea: Could you not use a video camera? If it's just for a proof of concept, I would've thought a camera could capture what you need?

EDIT - Just found the post and worked out why you need it, you could probably use a webcam? Pointed at the tv that the PS3 is being displayed on? It won't be the best quality, but would do for a demo. I don't think webcams are that laggy?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Thanks for all your help guys! I was hoping to get a fast cap card before Friday but it unfortunately failed.
On friday I was interviewed about my vr-projects by my countries second largest newspaper.
Initially they meant to stay for a few hours top, but they ended up staying several hours longer talking about vr and its possibilities.

Its a video interview, but its in norwegian. Since the video will be on their website, I am unsure how its going to work regarding subtitles. Might have to make a transcript to read along with the video for anyone interested!
I did not receive any pre-interview questions so I had no way to really prepare for what they would be asking about.
All the questions was answered on the spot, and therefore there might be tons of factual errors present.

Overall it felt like a huge success, as the journalists left excited!

For all you norwegians out there, keep an eye out for Dagbladet's DBTV website the next few days.
Riftoholic

Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

That's fantastic news! You must be very excited :D

It's great that they were genuinely excited, rather than just getting some quick quotes. Hopefully nobody is immune to the virus that is VR Fever...
maboo63
Cross Eyed!

Post by maboo63 »

nice man just nice - keep on mate!
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Wow! How fantastic!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Virtual Cinema was mentioned in this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhR3neG2ZHw[/youtube]
Parzival
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Parzival »

We need to get some Cinematography students to experiment with the Rift. I'm assuming most of the users on the website are game developers/enthusiasts. There must be a way to bring videos into the VR world...
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Seems to me you are talking more about 360 degree vr-movies, this isnt the application for that in the near future.
I am going to cater for more traditional content. There is another thread about what you are asking for.

Please correct me if I misunderstood.
Riftoholic

Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

geekmaster wrote:Virtual Cinema was mentioned in this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhR3neG2ZHw[/youtube]
That's Palmer's twin brother, Plamer!
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Namielus wrote:Thanks for all your help guys! I was hoping to get a fast cap card before Friday but it unfortunately failed.
On friday I was interviewed about my vr-projects by my countries second largest newspaper.
Initially they meant to stay for a few hours top, but they ended up staying several hours longer talking about vr and its possibilities.

Its a video interview, but its in norwegian. Since the video will be on their website, I am unsure how its going to work regarding subtitles. Might have to make a transcript to read along with the video for anyone interested!
I did not receive any pre-interview questions so I had no way to really prepare for what they would be asking about.
All the questions was answered on the spot, and therefore there might be tons of factual errors present.

Overall it felt like a huge success, as the journalists left excited!

For all you norwegians out there, keep an eye out for Dagbladet's DBTV website the next few days.
Good for you (and good on you), my good man!
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

Congrats on the interview Namielus!! Subtitles would be much appreciated if you or someone else has the time. I really look forward to watching this :geek:
Parzival
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Parzival »

Namielus wrote:Seems to me you are talking more about 360 degree vr-movies, this isnt the application for that in the near future.
I am going to cater for more traditional content. There is another thread about what you are asking for.

Please correct me if I misunderstood.
No. I'm not talking about 360 degree movies. I don't like that idea.

I'm talking about good ol' one perspective movies. Making it possible so we could watch movies and feel inside the movie. Feel like the actors are around us talking. Like we were an invisible presence in the room. No interacting, no head rotation or stuff like that. Just watch a movie on the rift and make use of the 3D fully. Not in a cinema style environment.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

AHA! I get it. I am going to make a short proof of concept video that features a first person perspective soon.
I just need to figure out how to do the partial overlap with the new 7"

thanks everyone for the thumbs up
Riftoholic

mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

This project is so cool, I look forward to following your progress.
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Hey Namielus, good to see you are still working on this. If you need a low input latency capture card and don’t mind using a composite input maybe look at old Conexant / Brooktree 878 based cards with the Dscaler driver. It might be a lot easier just to use emulators though. That interview sounds cool, great work, keep it up.
mirrorsedge2
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mirrorsedge2 »

Namielus, would you like to have a skype conversation with me? I've also had similar ideas (sans the movie theater), and as someone who also doesn't have a history in coding but some experience in after effects and playing a hellavalot of video games i'd love to chat to you about this. My skype name is game.hero1
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

my skype is Fluesnapper1 but I dont have time for voice chat, just regular text-chat
Riftoholic

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/05/ocul ... rview-3395

Cool people at RoadToVR interviewed me :D
My views on Leap motion for hand tracking has changed since the interview -
But otherwise I am happy with it.

Also, enjoy the sneak peek at the User Interface
Riftoholic

STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Cool stuff :)

I hope it goes all well with Unity and that you're able to implement all the features you want for your building. Virtual shopping centre? :P
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I will be able to do everything I want but the question is performance issues.
If I could choose I would stick with unity because I love its flexibility and ease of use,
but I might have to switch engines if it becomes too heavy for the average gamer pc.

I will be able to build a demo cool enough to show on kickstarter tho, so if people like what they
see on the related content published - I might have funds to do something more.
Riftoholic

yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

brantlew wrote:Yeah, I think a website implemented as a canvas/WebGL that only Rift users would be able to fully exploit is a slick idea. You could keep the graphics pretty basic so that browsers could render it. It seems like something that Oculus should do as part of their website or forums.
The Unreal Engine 3 has been ported to javascript and is allegedly working on Firefox. Just saying....
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Looking good.

A possibility for the arcade cabs is to have the emulator run on a players local machine, with the display viewable to anyone who cares, but gameplay only available to those that have a legal copy of the rom.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Awesome progress man! I like what you are doing, I will definitely back your Kickstarter :)

When do you think you will do your KS? sometime after The Gallery KS ends would probably be a good time so people with limited money won't have to choose between the 2 projects but can back both of them.
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor

Return to “Oculus VR”