Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Oculus Virtual Lounge

Post by MrGreen »

Backed!
Paintbrush
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Paintbrush »

This looks seriously great even in its early state. Will back it!
braddas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by braddas »

Backed!

The video is great, it looks fun and I think a lot of people will be charmed by it. You've said you'll be updating the video later (so this comment may be redundant) but I wonder if it should end on a slightly stronger note? The lounge in the asteroid belt is really cool, but the clip where you explain the tablets at the end seems to kill the pace a little. Pretty nitpicky, but I thought I'd mention it.

The virtual lounge and cinema look pretty well executed already, the potential for the other rooms is really exciting. Best of luck!
Currently working on Flagship - a first-person RTS for the Oculus Rift.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Backed! Everybody need to do so too.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

THanks guys! Its really not looking good right now, but I am keeping my hopes up.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Kirito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Kirito »

to be honest kickstarter is so much better but still goodluck
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Kirito you are absolutely right. But my mental health was starting to crumble due to all the problems I faced.
I truly wish it could have been kickstarter, but I simply could not take it anymore.
Thanks for your support anyway!
Riftoholic

jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Backed.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Backed!
Looking forward to this.

To me, the comparison of Kickstarter vs Indiegogo seems to be:

- The partnership with Amazon vs PayPal
- One website is prettier than the other (depending on your preference)
- Size of userbase and image
- Kickstarter has a stronger say in the types of projects they support.
- Apart from that Indiegogo has different terms which might be more attractive. Currently, Kickstarter apply a 5% fee on funds collected, whereas Indiegogo charge 4% if you reach your goal, or 9% if you do not.

In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
VR is rather niche still and enthusiasts who are now interested in the Oculus Rift will find this project whether it's here or on Kickstarter.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I bow in eternal greatfulness to you all
Riftoholic

Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Backed!
You need new thread obout Indiegogo project, not in old thread. It is little bit hidden here!
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

Backed! Good Luck!
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

HAHAH, I saw that Indiegogo page and I thought: "What a rip off off Namielus"

Then it hit me, It had to be yours, so I went straight here to double check. :D

Gonna back it NOW :D

BTW, what is the difference of the $18 and the $30 dollar pledge except for the picture?
EDIT: Never mind, I want the picture :D
EDIT2: Backed :D
DeeKej
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DeeKej »

Backed!
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Ooo, I didn't notice indiegogo took paypal - in that case, I might be able to put my backing on my billmelater account and not have to wait for two more paychecks before I can show you some love ;)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

mahler wrote:... Currently, Kickstarter apply a 5% fee on funds collected, whereas Indiegogo charge 4% if you reach your goal, or 9% if you do not. ...
That makes it pretty obvious that the logical thing to do is to set a very low goal and hope for the best, so you are virtually guaranteed to achieve "logical" success (though not necessarily financial success) so that you pay 4-percent instead of 9-percent, no matter what.

Under those rules, setting too high a goal is a very bad thing, because of the extra 5-percent penalty for not reaching your "overoptimistic" goal. And, you can STILL achieve your goal if enough people like your project enough to back your, or to at least spread the word. Word of mouth campaigns provide strong peer pressure, which may be even more effective than traditional subliminal advertising.
Last edited by geekmaster on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

thanks for the feedback guys! I need to fix one thing in the alpha before I release it.

Geekmaster, the first to recieve it; You may experience other people joining you while trying the app. I forgot to add the option to password your room.
Until I have the option to create rooms with passwords, I think I will hold off the alpha because it can become a mess when people are trying it.

I also need to figure out how to deliver the alphas to all the people who backed, some kind of automatic system or else I have to create an email for each person.
Kinda strange that indiegogo doesnt have a system for contacting everyone in each tier.
Riftoholic

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Namielus wrote:... Geekmaster, the first to recieve it; You may experience other people joining you while trying the app. I forgot to add the option to password your room. ... I also need to figure out how to deliver the alphas to all the people who backed, some kind of automatic system or else I have to create an email for each person. ...
I am in no rush. I have a lot on my plate and a tight schedule, and time spent in the forums (or in your app) really needs to be spent on my real project right now. I am spreading my time much too thin over too many projects lately. I need to prioritize them and get some of them finished so I can spend less time devoted to context switching. But no matter what, I am anxious to try your app (when my wife is not home -- she hates my Rift and thinks it is unhealthy for me. :o )...
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Where should I make the indiegogo thread then?
Riftoholic

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Namielus wrote:Where should I make the indiegogo thread then?
What "indiegogo thread"? Missing context required. Need more input!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-qBUWOYfE
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

Apologies if this is already answered somewhere, but do you need a rift/hydra to use this, or can you use it like normal?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

@Namielus: As I posted to your indiegogo comments:
Your new “I get CAT now?!” tier is mis-named. To fit the appropriate meme, it MUST be “I can has CAT now?!”. Please fix that error ASAP! ;)
Agreed? ;)

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Benjimoron wrote:Apologies if this is already answered somewhere, but do you need a rift/hydra to use this, or can you use it like normal?
That makes sense. A Rift may not always be the right solution, while social networking and other features are still desired even without a Rift.

Actually advertising at the indiegogo that this does NOT require a Rift may help get more backers. If "no Rift" support is lacking, it should announced as a planned feature. And Hydra support should certainly not be a requirement for (almost) any app, even though it can greatly enhance the experience in many cases.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

geekmaster wrote:
Benjimoron wrote:Apologies if this is already answered somewhere, but do you need a rift/hydra to use this, or can you use it like normal?
That makes sense. A Rift may not always be the right solution, while social networking and other features are still desired even without a Rift.

Actually advertising at the indiegogo that this does NOT require a Rift may help get more backers. If "no Rift" support is lacking, it should announced as a planned feature. And Hydra support should certainly not be a requirement for (almost) any app, even though it can greatly enhance the experience in many cases.
I assume that currently you don't need one? I'd like to give it a go but I have no rift or hydra. But it does look interesting even without. You may find people try it and then go on to buy a rift to enhance it. You'll probably sell more if you can use it both ways.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Just got done watching the video. Awesome
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Thanks vamplifire
Riftoholic

RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoadKillGrill »

I have backed you, good luck!!!
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Is it not possible to upgrade one's pledge level on Indiegogo?
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Backed! Would love to try this with the Omni.
Caine
Cross Eyed!

Post by Caine »

Backed, looking forward to seeing the alpha :)
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I backed it as well, good luck Namielus!

@ geekmaster:
I have a lot on my plate and a tight schedule, and time spent in the forums (or in your app) really needs to be spent on my real project right now. I am spreading my time much too thin over too many projects lately. I need to prioritize them and get some of them finished so I can spend less time devoted to context switching.
I know exactly what you are talking about with this one. Sometimes you need to pull back and decide which of your interests is going to generate the best returns on your time. Same with gaming/forums, it doesn't help get things done...
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Backed, all the best for this project, can't wait to see the alpha (and your cat's picture)
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

http://support.indiegogo.com/entries/20 ... -Your-Perk

Namielus, please allow me to upgrade my contribution like described in this support article.
I'm on $30, and the golden ticket seems awesome so I would like to upgrade to $50 (plus you need all the money you can get).
This is almost like charlie and the chocolate factory :3

Edit:
It was golden in my head... lets just keep it golden in my head ^_^
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Make a new thread for the campaign. Only a few will notice it here.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

geekmaster wrote:@Namielus: As I posted to your indiegogo comments:
Your new “I get CAT now?!” tier is mis-named. To fit the appropriate meme, it MUST be “I can has CAT now?!”. Please fix that error ASAP! ;)
Agreed? ;)

You are probably right but once a tier has been claimed it cannot be edit unfortunately
Riftoholic

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

You are almost 5-percent of the way to your goal. If we can keep up at this rate you will be very close to your goal. Of course, as trending goes, you will probably need a generous donor or two to compensate for mid-campaign falloff. Good luck!

Al least with inidiegogo (as I understand it), "almost" is good enough to keep your donations. Even if you do not achieve your full goal, you should (hopefully) have enough to deliver a satisfying product, even if you do need to narrow its project scope a bit.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Ziggurat wrote:http://support.indiegogo.com/entries/20 ... -Your-Perk

Namielus, please allow me to upgrade my contribution like described in this support article.
I'm on $30, and the golden ticket seems awesome so I would like to upgrade to $50 (plus you need all the money you can get).
This is almost like charlie and the chocolate factory :3

Edit:
It was golden in my head... lets just keep it golden in my head ^_^
I will look into it and make sure you get it, you can increase your pledge on your own right? I promise you will have a golden ticket.
Riftoholic

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Namielus wrote:You are probably right but once a tier has been claimed it cannot be edit unfortunately
Okay, then how about a new $40 tier with that name, with some extra internet-meme related perk (a cat photo plus something more)? All the "leet" VR hackerz would go for that tier.
;)

Your latest comment makes me think you could have "lottery" tiers (perhaps a dollar or two more than each lower tier), where ONE of the people who join that tier get the perks from a higher tier if they win a random drawing just after the campaign closes. Just an idea to draw in more people, and a little extra from many of those people.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Very happy to see your project get under way Namielus.
And i think you made the right decision to go ahead with the launch on Indiegogo , You have waisted anough time and money with Kickstarter.
Happy days.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Road to VR article:
http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/06/23/virtua-view-aka-virtual-lounge-for-oculus-rift-crowdfunding-campaign-now-launched-6721 wrote:... In addition to the immersive visuals, Virtua View also incorporates full Razer Hydra support and is used to enhance communication in game. Want to wave ‘hi!’ to a friend in game, make the motion and it appears, illustrated via your avatar’s virtual hands. ..the immediacy of the experience transcends anything you might have felt before.” This seemingly simple feature has so much impact when in Virtua View because, when you’re in a virtual space via Virtual Reality, the immediacy of the experience transcends anything you might have felt before. ... We’ll have a more in-depth look at Virtua View in a forthcoming article, including some exclusive video playtests. Stay Tuned.

Return to “Oculus VR”