stereomirror and iZ3D monitor users: how do you drive it?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

stereomirror and iZ3D monitor users: how do you drive it?

Post by Guig2000 »

Hello,
since a few generation of graphics cards (since HD5000 series on AMD, maybe geforce 400 on nvidia side), the directX and openGL drivers' optimizations creates a missync between screens when using dual output. So that there is very often a delay (1 frame or more) between the two screens.
sView author, Kirill Gavrilov reported this issue but I can't find where it is now, it also have been reported by iZ3D driver users: http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=23239#23239, http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=13496#13496.
So that when using sView to play a video (it uses opengl) or iZ3D driver to play games with a stereomirror, fast movement more or less modify or kill the stereoscopic effect. The case is worst for iZ3D monitor users because it it does not create a L/R delay, but a delay between the polarization and the color.

Now that iZ3D is dead, and they was the only who was supporting a direct3D stereo driver for stereomirrors. So it seems we are now stuck with our planar. How do you use your stereomirror rig or you iZ3D monitor? Does someone have found a hardware 3Ddemux which could drive a stereomirror rig? Do you plan to abandon the use of your setup?
Should we build our own demultiplexer?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: stereomirror and iZ3D monitor users: how do you drive it

Post by cybereality »

I'd like to support stereo mirror with my upcoming driver. The easiest way would be to use the existing side-by-side mode and just mirror one of the images. Then you would need to use Eyefinity or a Matrox DH2G box to span across 2 screens. Maybe at some point I can look into an IZ3D mode, but I am not sure if I can get an SDK or what the deal is with that.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

@Cyber: I think the iz3d sdk+api still can be found here. Since i'm no coder myself i don't know if there are examples on how to support the iz3d-monitor directly from your app or if it have to be supported through the iz3d-driver.
If possible i'd like to request support for dual projectors but if you're not decided to go "sharp" you should priority other functions first.
As for Guig2000 it might be possible to make a "mirror"-function for one of the screens of the already existing dual output of the tridef driver (not really an extension of your stereodriver but maybe a workaround for stereomirrorusers). There might be practical problems like even more framelag but i don't really know.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes, I'd like to support dual pjs also. Not sure if it will make it into the first version, since I am focusing on Oculus Rift support. But I'll try to get it in soon.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

Thanks, but when I see the result with iZ3D and knowing that they worked on it for years, I think your are working on something titanic. Of course if supporting a mirrored on side by side output is not complicated and doesn't add too much work, do it.
I've look on a matrox dual head to go, there is an issue: all DHtG use a VGA or a display port input. But it can be donne thr way you suggested. EDIT: saphire have one: http://www.sapphiretech.com/vid2xtest/l ... 1&pid=1412
This kind of apparatus could maybe have the firmware hacked in order to directly support stereoscopy and stereomirror.
That's unfortunate that nvidia does not support surround over two displays (I've a GTX570).

Return to “Do it Yourself!”