Custom Focus VS AUto Focus

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Custom Focus VS AUto Focus

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys,

I'm paraphrasing, but I've read some remarks that auto-focus creates more depth than custom focus with the DDD drivers. I've been at this for some time, and I have yet to find an example of this. I understand that auto-focus is particularly good for inconsistent camera angles (e.g. when scenes are so radically different from each other, the 3D settings appear out of whack), but I have not experienced a clear depth advantage as described.

I'd be appreciative if members could upload comparative images to MTBS' 3D Gallery and share the 3D screenshots here. I'd like to see what people are talking about. Remember to copy the "stimg" BBCodes from the gallery so they are viewable in 3D in the forum.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Re: Custom Focus VS AUto Focus

Post by cybereality »

Personally I think the auto-focus works well to eliminate strange issues you get (for example with close shots in cut-scenes) but I don't think it increases depth past the normal amounts.
Earmack
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Earmack »

I don't like custom focus, NEVER play with him, only with auto-focus. I achieve always much depth experience, with custom focus this efferct not so good for me.
I try upload some screens but can't because size max 1024kb...+ gallery too much difficault, too much folders, subfolders, sub sub folders, sub sub sub folders....it's not easy too start
Sapphire 7970 ghz 6gb
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel I7 3770k @3,5ghz
Kingston DDR3 khx21c11t2k2/16x 4 x 8gb = 32gb
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000 M
Windows 8 Pro 64x
Samsung UE40D7000LS
HDMI 1.4a
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Earmack,

We've cut out a lot of sub-forums, etc. awhile back. However, here is an easy way to get to where you need to go.

1. Go to http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery
2. Choose hosting for site/forum linking (first option).
3. Choose hosting for forum/
4. Press "Upload" at the top of the screen.

The correct sub forum is already selected for you. Now you just have to select the files you want to upload, and it does the rest. All you really need to do is fill in the image descriptions, but that's about it.

Regards,
Neil
Earmack

Post by Earmack »

Hi Neil,

Thx for info.

Any chanse to make OWN album without size limit (1024kb)?

Also i upload some pictures for test...but it's look like Im wrong because I upload default formats tridef/ddd when you make screenshots (above/below)....so it's unnaceptable to view, right? If I understand correct basic foto must be in 2d only after that site/gallery convert to 3d? When you play with ddd you make pictures something like FRAPS? Not default print/screen button (default button in tridef ignition)?
Sapphire 7970 ghz 6gb
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel I7 3770k @3,5ghz
Windows 8 Pro 64x
Samsung UE40D7000LS
HDMI 1.4a
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

No autofocus for me either. It feels weird when the scene changes due to the autofocus. So far i'm most happy with the iz3d-model using preset hotkeys. The 3 settings offered has always been enough.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Earmack,

A meg per pic is a lot, I think.

The best way to upload the pictures is in side by side (cross-eyed). I use stereo photo maker to batch convert DDD images for this purpose (software is free). It also keeps the image sizes small enough and easy to handle (well under a meg per pic).

How big are the images you are trying to upload?

Regards,
Neil
Earmack

Post by Earmack »

I see.
Too much handle work I think. Like example I have hundrends maybe thousonds different pictures from SKYRIM....so I need manual work with every pictures? My life over much faster than I convert all pictures. Why we don't have chanse too upload default DDD formats too look in 3D (above/below)?
Any way to delete some pictures? Don't see "delete" button?

Different... from around 1 meg to 2meg
Sapphire 7970 ghz 6gb
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel I7 3770k @3,5ghz
Windows 8 Pro 64x
Samsung UE40D7000LS
HDMI 1.4a
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm afraid the DDD default isn't really a standard format. Side by side is easy to translate to multiple solutions while the DDD format isn't. Above/below is a pseudo standard compared to side by side - that's just the nature of it. The reason DDD pushed above/below is because it was good for interlaced and also avoided a patent conflict with another vendor. That patent expired which is why they have started to include side by side support in their media player again. I think the world would go around a lot faster if they added side by side output support in their drivers.

Stereo photo maker isn't a lot of work at all. It should be a standard tool you have at your disposal, actually. I use it religiously.

It's a real shame that we can't see the benefits you are talking about with the DDD drivers. I know it would make a world of difference if we could see some comparative images to back up the claims.

Regards,
Neil
Earmack

Post by Earmack »

Well I can send you two images on e-mail you open with ddd and look how u like or don't avto vs custom or you can run every game and on/off custom focus, pretty simple
Sapphire 7970 ghz 6gb
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel I7 3770k @3,5ghz
Windows 8 Pro 64x
Samsung UE40D7000LS
HDMI 1.4a
Neil

Post by Neil »

Try it. I can post them here after. What game(s) will you send? It's helpful if I have access to the same titles to compare.

Regards,
Neil
Earmack

Post by Earmack »

Send it. Stalker - Call of pripyat (dx9)
Sapphire 7970 ghz 6gb
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel I7 3770k @3,5ghz
Windows 8 Pro 64x
Samsung UE40D7000LS
HDMI 1.4a
Neil

Post by Neil »

I don't have this game. How about Battlefield 3?

Regards,
Neil
Earmack

Post by Earmack »

I done with battlefield 3. Maybe someone else makes some pictures BF3.
I send you 4 pictures (2 autofocus, 2 custom focus)
Sapphire 7970 ghz 6gb
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel I7 3770k @3,5ghz
Windows 8 Pro 64x
Samsung UE40D7000LS
HDMI 1.4a
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Earmack,

How about Skyrim? It's only useful if I have the same game to compare and try with.

Regards,
Neil
Earmack

Post by Earmack »

Send it.

Offtop.
When i make screens with ignition, game create folders with 4 different subfolders (with 3d pictures): above/below, anaglyph, thambnail, tridefphoto.
So with "stereo photo maker" it possible to convert one of this formats to other/s (for mtbs 3d gallery (I whanna upload hundrends 3d pictures from the different games))?
If that possible convert please can you tell me steb by step what i must to do and if that possible maybe multiple pictures (like example I check ALL pictures "above/below" in skyrim to convert for others format ect.)?
Sapphire 7970 ghz 6gb
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel I7 3770k @3,5ghz
Windows 8 Pro 64x
Samsung UE40D7000LS
HDMI 1.4a
Neil

Post by Neil »

Very easy. First, the starting format you will use is the side by side output (left image on top).

1. Download stereo photo maker.
2. It's best to copy the images you want to convert to a special directory, but you can keep things in the main source if you really want to.
3. In Stereo Photo Maker, under the "File" tab, choose "Multi Conversion".
4. In the multiconversion window, choose the JPS, JPG, etc. files you want to convert (the above/below images).
5. Make sure the input type is set to "Above/Below" and L/R selections are both set to "normal".
6. Output type should be side by side, JPG
7. Select "Swap Left/Right" so that the images come out cross-eyed.
8. Choose the output folder

Then press the "Convert Selected Files" button, and it should be finished up pretty quick depending on the number of files being done.

Try not to flood the gallery with images unless you want to put them in organized directories. The listing I shared above is really intended for images used in forum posts. If you want to upload lots of images, tell me what games, and I'll create special directories for you to use so the gallery is somewhat organized.

Regards,
Neil
Earmack

Post by Earmack »

Thx a lot Neil, you must received "3D OSCAR" for all what u do=)

I create two albums in my derictory (skyrim & stalker call of pripyat) for testing how and what upload. I hope I can delete fotos if something going wrong?
In public plz delete all my last pictures because I just tested and don't find button to delete this fotos (maybe he just hide from me)
Sapphire 7970 ghz 6gb
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel I7 3770k @3,5ghz
Windows 8 Pro 64x
Samsung UE40D7000LS
HDMI 1.4a
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Earmack,

Thanks for your kind words. Ok, I got the images you sent up in the gallery, and here they are:

[stimg='Earmack_ Skyrim_ DDD Auto Focus' url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... 013-ab.jpg]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... 013-ab.jpg[/stimg]

[stimg='Earmack_ Skyrim_ DDD Custom Focus' url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... 014-ab.jpg]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... 014-ab.jpg[/stimg]

[stimg='Earmack_ Skyrim_ DDD Auto Focus' url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... 027-ab.jpg]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... 027-ab.jpg[/stimg]

[stimg='Earmack_ Skyrim_ DDD Custom Focus' url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... 115-ab.jpg]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... 115-ab.jpg[/stimg]

I can immediately see what is happening here. Check the diagrams in this article if you haven't already.

What is happening is the convergence setting in your "custom focus" setup is so far in front of your physical screen, the image isn't getting a chance to really be dynamic enough between the left and right views to look interesting. All the auto-convergence is doing is adjusting this for you on the fly. It's ok to do this, but you are likely getting a trade-off in game performance (FPS) and I'm sure you are seeing the images phase inward and outward as you play. While this is great tech, it's really unnecessary for countless games (nearly all the games reviewed on MTBS so far). As Cybereality was alluding to earlier, it's really only needed when you have inconsistent camera angles where you suddenly have close-ups or scene changes that make the 3D unwatchable.

Check these images out:

[stimg='Neil_ Skyrim_ DDD Auto Focus' url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... ofocus.jpg]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... ofocus.jpg[/stimg]

[stimg='Neil_ Skyrim_ DDD Custom Focus' url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... mfocus.jpg]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... mfocus.jpg[/stimg]

The big difference here is that even though the amount of depth is the same, the custom focus version (by choice) has the leaves popping out of the screen. Not for everyone, but this is something we can do with custom focus. No loss in performance, no phasing in and out, same if not more depth flexibility - just settings that work throughout the game.

Regards,
Neil
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

Can someone here please help me with this issue discussed in this ancient discussion.

I make stereoscopic videos compatible for VR on YouTube. I am trying to promote everything that helps to get a good virtual reality experience. Its been many years since I've been compelled to use Tridef. So I have no experience or knowledge about this obsolete software.

Today I launched Tomb Raider Underworld in side by side within Virtual Desktop. I started playing with the depth, convergence and custom focus/auto focus and immediately noticed what was discussed over here. The transition between convergence in Auto Focus is very fast. It appears as a Vsync/screen tearing problem because of the speed. Are there any settings that I could get hold of in a global driver setting that I can slow the transition between convergence down a bit. The screen tearing effect is really bad. The custom focus as discussed is causing Lara to be too far inside the virtual screen. Auto focus have a sweet spot that puts Lara at the zero parallax. If I could get Lara to pop out of the screen with custom focus I would appreciate it if someone here could help me. Or if i could slow down the speed of convergence in Auto Focus. Where are these advanced settings? I recall there were some additional options to tinker with when i first tried Tridef way back...
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍

Return to “DDD Tridef Ignition Driver Forums”