?Make your own passive LCD monitor by adding Micro Polarizin

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

?Make your own passive LCD monitor by adding Micro Polarizin

Post by xhonzi »

Has anyone ever added their own Micro Polarizer filter to an LCD screen to make it an interlaced passive screen?

Is this possible? I think I read about this being done before, but a lot of recent googling didn't turn anything up.

You'd have to know the dot pitch- the native resolution of the screen and the exact dimensions... and it would be a little tricky to get lined up just so... but it's possible, right?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: ?Make your own passive LCD monitor by adding Micro Polar

Post by Likay »

I could be wrong but i think you mix it up with building a parallax barrier which is done with a good printer and a mostly trial and error procedure to reach a good result. It's surely possible since Cybereality here has made it going. I had limited succes with this but only because my printers dotpitch was somewhat close to the screens. The printer i use is too old to make any further or better results possible though.

I believe that interleaved 3d-monitors have an interleaved qw-retarderlayer, not polarizer.
Since lcd-monitors already are linear polarized through their polarizer the main reason why passive 3d-monitors are circular polarized is that only an additional interleaved retarderlayer is needed. It might be easier to manufacture an interleaved retarder instead of an interleaved polarizer but i'm certainly not sure.
Anyway: I don't think it's feasible in any way trying to make something like this at home. Unless building a machine that makes an interleaved retarder or polarizer the only option is probably qw-retarderfoil, a sharp scissor, nondepolarizing glue, which on top that most probably produces a sucky result anyway..
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I have thought about this myself, but I don't think its really a good idea. You would need a way to print the retarder to a very high precision. Cutting the film by hand would be next to impossible to get right. So I doubt this will work at all.
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Surely the retarder/polarizer film can be bought somewhere...
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

It's easy to find polarizers and retarders.
Finding interleaved ones is definitely another thing, especially since you have to get one that's precisely matched to your monitor. I don't know about any other purposes for these except for 3d-displays so most probably manufacturers for these films delivers to monitormakers only.
Guig2000

Post by Guig2000 »

If you bought some thousands of sheets to manufacturers it could be possible.
:mrgreen:
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Is there anyway to depolarize (deretardize, if that's a word) a polarizing or retarding film? If so... maybe you could get 2 sheets of qw retarder, use a laser (or whatever) to deretardize every other line of pixels, then glue them together offset, et voila!! Vous-avon arrivez!

I still haven't found any vendors for such a film. Lot's of patent references though.

And beware of ads for FPR film, which also stands for "fingerprint resistant".
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Plastic polarizers will loose their polarizing ability when exposed to heat so that can definitely be done with a laser (wavelength unknown, maybe IR-laser works best). I'm not sure what kind of properties a heatexposed "damaged" polarizer will have (if it interferes with polarization or not). For a micropolarizing layer you will need two stacked polarizersheets if you aim for polarizers. In worst case one polarizer could jam the function of the other one. I have no clue without testing this first (have polarizers, maybe even still have a couple of partly damaged ones).
While plastic polarizers by time fries in front of projectors, retarders seems to be a lot more durable. Probably because they're much more transparent and doesn't absorb any energy. I haven't noticed any signs that retarders change their properties when exposed to projectorlight.

My guess about retarders and heat: If the properties of a retarder can be changed by a laser i doubt they can be changed in a controlled manor from horisontal to vertical alignment. The result will probably in best case be something that will be entirely transparent without the retarder property or something that messes up polarization badly. As said the last sentence are only guesses and assumptions from my side.

So, the field is somewhat open! :D

Curious: Do you know how these u-pol films for passive 3dtv's are manufactured? The process?
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

My guess about retarders and heat: If the properties of a retarder can be changed by a laser i doubt they can be changed in a controlled manor from horisontal to vertical alignment. The result will probably in best case be something that will be entirely transparent without the retarder property or something that messes up polarization badly. As said the last sentence are only guesses and assumptions from my side.
I think you're right... I think the best you could do is de-retard everyother line in 2 different sheets and then sandwich them together to get both left and right qw retardizing. That's what I was trying to say a couple posts ago.

Retardizing? I think I am making up new words with each post.

The real process:
http://www.rolic.com/products/display-a ... r-lcmo-3d/

and

http://www.rolic.com/products/display-a ... roduction/

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”