3D TV Questions??

The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

3D TV Questions??

Post by The_Nephilim »

Hey all,

I am looking into getting some Monitors to replace my Projectors, while nice the Bulb life and expens of Projectors is making me look into getting a Monitor..

Now I have gotten used to a bigger screen and was looking at 3D Monitors and it seems the Biggest 3D Monitor they have is 27".. Now whilst that is pretty big I would like to get at least a 32" or 37" HDTV..

Now My question is about 3D TV is it basically like 3D Vision, where it supports MOST games, I seen on the nVidia website it supports over 650 games but I did NOT see a list anywhere..

Does anyone know where I can find the Games list for 3DTV?? I also would like to find out which version of DX Does it support, is it like 3D Vision and goes back to support DX 8??

so I did check the nVidia website but these few questions I have did NOT seem to be answered hopefully Someone here either uses it or can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it to help me decide what to do..
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 3D TV Questions??

Post by cybereality »

There is a list of 3D Vision compatible games and their ratings here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-games.html

They support DirectX8-11, although support seems best on 9. I've tried some older Dx7 games (Unreal 1) that are listed as supported but don't work. Dx8 support may also be spotty, but some games do work for sure (UT2004 works great, for example). For Dx9 games, they almost all work to some extent. The games that don't work will probably still be in 3D but have some show-stopper glitches. And even that may be fixed by tweaking settings or with the HelixMod.

Also, if you want to go with Nvidia I would recommend getting a 27" monitor *NOT* a 3DTV. 3DTVs are limited by HDMI to 720P @ 60Hz (when gaming) and the quality is just not the same as a 1080P monitor. The monitor will look a good deal better. For watching 3D Blu-Ray the TV is great (and does do 1080 @ 24Hz) but for gaming not-so-much. You also *CANNOT* do 3D Vision Surround on HDTVs, they need to be monitors. So if you are looking to get 3 displays (or would like the upgrade option) you MUST use monitors (or Nvidia compatible projectors).

Probably your best choice is the ASUS VG278H. It supports 3D Vision 2 which is supposed to be a lot better than 1. It can also do HDMI 1.4a, which is nice if you have a PS3 for example. The only bad thing I have heard is it has some strange back-light bleeding issues, not sure if that has been fixed yet. Lots of people complained about that (basically an area in the middle of the screen would be much brighter than the rest). Otherwise its supposed to be really nice. You can also look at the Acer HN274H, which I tried and is very nice. It only uses 3D Vision 1 glasses, so its a little dark, but the 3D is nice. To be honest, 27" on a desk looks pretty big. Not projector big, but big enough.

Hope that helps.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

OK Cyber can you tell me more about why the HDTV will NOT be able to do 3D Surround?? I am planning on getting 3 monitors, Projectors or HDTV's?? IF the HDTV Can NOT do Surround is it a Recognition issue or what exaclty goes on with using 3 HDTV's and nVidia NOT working in 3D Surround..

Well I know the HDTV will NOT look as Good but I currently game at a lower res and with the AA/AS up high it looks really damn good, maybe would look better in 1080P but with the lower res the HDTV's Offer would NOT be a concern with me..About the 60HZ would that be when Stereo is Enabled or will it be cut in half of 60 to be 30 While Gaming.. The Monitors I was looking at I beleive where 120HZ?? so that would mean 60Hz whilst gaming in 3D?? if so 60 FPS would be fine, I currently game with my games at 75hz which makes the FPS 37.5 in most all my games..

Any other info you could provide would be great, I am going to go dig a little deeper on this subject and try and find some answers but await your answers..

But the initial news from your Post it looks like I may be going with Projectors again..
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

cybereality wrote:Also, if you want to go with Nvidia I would recommend getting a 27" monitor *NOT* a 3DTV. 3DTVs are limited by HDMI to 720P @ 60Hz (when gaming) and the quality is just not the same as a 1080P monitor. The monitor will look a good deal better. For watching 3D Blu-Ray the TV is great (and does do 1080 @ 24Hz) but for gaming not-so-much. You also *CANNOT* do 3D Vision Surround on HDTVs, they need to be monitors. So if you are looking to get 3 displays (or would like the upgrade option) you MUST use monitors (or Nvidia compatible projectors).
just wanted to chime in..
I currently run 3D Vision with my resolution set to 1080p60Hz on a 32" Vizio, which is passive.
I have Adaptive V-Sync set, which fixes my ingame framerate at 30fps.
This, in effect, gives me improved performance over Nvidia's 3DTV Play option, which is limited to 24Hz at 1080p. With a 32" display and less than 1 meter viewing distance, I feel that this works fairly well.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

The_Nephilim wrote:OK Cyber can you tell me more about why the HDTV will NOT be able to do 3D Surround?? I am planning on getting 3 monitors, Projectors or HDTV's?? IF the HDTV Can NOT do Surround is it a Recognition issue or what exaclty goes on with using 3 HDTV's and nVidia NOT working in 3D Surround..

Well I know the HDTV will NOT look as Good but I currently game at a lower res and with the AA/AS up high it looks really damn good, maybe would look better in 1080P but with the lower res the HDTV's Offer would NOT be a concern with me..About the 60HZ would that be when Stereo is Enabled or will it be cut in half of 60 to be 30 While Gaming.. The Monitors I was looking at I beleive where 120HZ?? so that would mean 60Hz whilst gaming in 3D?? if so 60 FPS would be fine, I currently game with my games at 75hz which makes the FPS 37.5 in most all my games..

Any other info you could provide would be great, I am going to go dig a little deeper on this subject and try and find some answers but await your answers..

But the initial news from your Post it looks like I may be going with Projectors again..

1. 3D Vision Surround is not compatible with 3DTV Play. Nvidia treats 3DTV Play as a separate solution compared to 3D Vision, where the 3DTV Play has very limited options in favor of standard compatability. Now, as I mentioned, I am using a passive screen with 3D Vision, NOT 3DTV Play, due to the Acer EDID being recognized as "Optimized for Nvidia GeForce." There is a possibility that going this route will allow you to run 3 identical passive displays with 3D Vision Surround, but since passive support is relatively new (and not well advertised), I have yet to hear anyone trying this or getting it to work.
"Yes, starting with Release 295 drivers Optimized for NVIDIA GeForce 3D products support the entire NVIDIA 3D content ecosystem, and are fully compatible with games, applications and websites that carry the NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready logo."
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... %20geforce

2. IF the monitor accepts a resolution =>1080p at 120Hz, it will not be through HDMI, rather dual-link dvi or displayport. So, at best, 3D is limited to 60Hz per eye on an active display.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@The_Nephilim: 3D Vision and 3DTV Play are two separate things (even though the core driver is the same). 3D Vision supports 120Hz monitors and projectors (and also 3DV Surround). 3DTV Play only supports individual HDTVs and newer HDMI 1.4a projectors. I doubt 3DTV Play will ever support Surround. This is because there is difficulty in genlocking 3 displays over HDMI and also syncing that to the glasses. Maybe not an impossible problem, but Nvidia has made no indication they will add support. You can, however, do Surround on 120Hz monitors or projectors. If you want to go with an Nvidia projector your best bet is the Acer H5360. You can get for around $500, 720P @ 120Hz. Everyone has said good things about it.
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

A friend of mine (who isn't into 3D... yet) picked up a 27" Acer with 3D vision1, and I was quite stunned overall. It was bad timing for me, with the Rift project underway, as I so want to pick one up too, now - but dont want to be caught off guard with funding when the Rift goes nova. The Acer really tugs at me for PC gaming. The same cannot be said for PS3 gaming on it, though it wasn't so bad.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

OK Looks like the HDTV is OUT now.. I was thinking of getting this Projector any word on it??:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-ColorBoost-I ... RYT8OS6L5K

I wanna stick with the 4:3 Aspect ratio and NOT go with a 16:9 Ratio.. As I would have to buy another Screen or make one and I do NOt feel like doing that again hehe!!
Last edited by The_Nephilim on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Haven't heard much about that specific PJ, but Acer is usually good. It is on Nvidia's list so you should not have a problem.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

OK Cool, I have a Acer PH530 and that has worked perfectly for 5 years now..I may look for some Pro reviews on the web. Any good place that does some fair reviews??

Yes I think the Projectors are going to be my best bet, as I dont think I could live with a Bezel after having NO Bezels now.. ;) Guess I am spoiled with no Bezels..

I may try and sell these other projectors at my sisters store or try ebay first.. Still thinking if I shoud get new bulbs or just sell them as is??

Thnx for the Help everybody..
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

I know I'm a bit late here, but I've got a couple x1261's (non-p version.) They work great with 3d Vision, and are pretty quiet. Using 2 (in 2d) on a home made superwide screen, I could never get the colors of the two to match up, but when I tried one bulb had under 100 hours, and the other was somewhere around 2-300 I think.
Also, maybe I had particularly bad luck, but I received one unit DOA, and a year and a half later had another die, both due to the same issue. The projector thought the fan had failed (it hadn't, I could feel the air coming out.) No documented fix, and as the second one was out of warranty, Acer pointed me to some third party repair house which probably would have charged more than the thing was worth to fix.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”