Say: Hello!

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Say: Hello!

Post by cybereality »

Sup dude!!!
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

Hello!
I'm new here, another Swede(hej Likay ;)). My first stereoscopic setup is shipping as i type and should be complete some time this week!

I've had my 90" 2d HT for just over a year now so i figured it's about time i took it to another dimension :D I'll have to say i'm VERY stereo-curious since the nearest stereo theater is 500 km away(~300 miles) and i've only ever been to one once... when i was 12.

It was a reald theater i think, at an amusement park in Gothenburg. I remember the clip too, a CG short of a bunch of monkeys playing with fruits and sticks. Popout was good when they started launching oranges toward the audience :mrgreen: We had an encyclopedia collection too that had anaglyph images on the first page of every book and scattered within them, so naturally, I spent a few hours of my childhood looking through those. :geek:
"This is great!"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sup AntiCatalyst! Welcome to the forum.
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

'sup cyber :> and thank you :)

i might add that i got my display name changed, my original name was "dagbro"
"This is great!"
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Tjena mannen! Välkommen! :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
thrillscience
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thrillscience »

Hello!

I found this very useful site because we're trying to write a custom viewer for 3D images and hoped to be able to use the non-Quadro versions of the NVidia cards that support 3D (the GTX 570 and 580, for example).

It was very disconcerting to see that you have to switch to "full screen" mode to get this card to work in 3D with the included apps. (I've seen apps that run on the Quadros that can bring up a Stereo surface in a window.)

What's even more frustrating is that there's very little information from NVidia on how to enable the stereo modes on the GTX cards. From reading here, it seems like you have to make a 2X wide image, and put a special marker in the bottom right corner.

Does anyone have a complete example of, given an already-rendered stereo image (separate left and right images), how to get this to display in stereo on a GTX 570 or 580?

We're trying to make some viewers for a forthcoming 3D photo sharing site....
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@thrillscience: Hey man! You may find this thread useful:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=5072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately Nvidia is not very helpful with providing APIs for the development community. I have not seen anything that was publicly available explaining how to access their 3D APIs. You might find some general info here, however I don't see any full documentation available:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/3d_stereo_dev.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The documentation for the stereoscopic 3D API has been made available a long time ago by NVIDIA, else nobody would have been able to create 3D games with their solution. The SDK is available on their NVAPI page here : http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvapi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In their NVAPI_Dec2010.zip file you can find the NVAPI_Reference_Developer.chm file which dedicates an entire chapter to the use of the 27 functions calls available in the stereoscopic API.

In their paper The In and Out: Making Games Play Right with Stereoscopic 3D Technologies you can also find example code to present a stereo frame from 2 images with their API.

And in their NVIDIA 3D VISION Best Practices Guide you can find even more informations to help developers implement the best possible stereoscopic 3D experience for their games.

Hardly a lack of documentation on NVIDIA part, I wonder where people get the impression that nothing was available...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I'm sorry, this was not the case a year or two ago when I was looking into it (and a quick google search did not turn up that page). They must have recently released this to the public (notice the previous versions only go back to Feb 2010). Of course I knew they had an API, but I thought it was only available to licensed developers like Capcom, etc. I was not aware they had anything for hobby developers. My bad.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

They have an extended API that is subject to a NDA, but the basic stereoscopic API has been available since at least 2009 as has been shown in their GDC 2009 paper. The older stereo API has also been available for a long time too.
thrillscience
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thrillscience »

Well, we've had little luck getting these stereo APIs working on non-Quadro cards that have stereo capability (like the 570 and 580)
fenome
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fenome »

Hi R1zbear!

I'm new here too, been watchin from a distance for while a while, but I figured I was actually close enough to jump into the next dimmension now to get my feet wet in the forums. Everyone onhere is so knowledgeable and helpful, it's quite a refreshing change from the gaming forums and what-not I've dabbled into before, thanx guys!

ps.
I'm not as informed as everbody else around here is, and I'll probably ask more questions than give answers but please bear with me. This is definately something I'm into and I'm here to stay :D
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Welcome fenome!
Enjoy the stay! :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey man! Stick around.
VanBurenPhilips
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VanBurenPhilips »

Howdy folks!

I've just registered here, been reading for a little while though. I'm coming back to stereoscopic 3D for the second time really - many years ago, I had a PC setup with an ATi graphics card and E-Dimensional shutter glasses. Not the best combination, I never did get to try out those glasses with Nvidia card, but the one game I managed to get working well was GTA3, and it looked awesome.

Now I have a Sony KDL52HX903, which is currently getting fed 3D from my PC and PS3 (just games, I'm not concerned with 3D movies just yet). I'm trialling Nvidia 3D Vision, which seems to work very well on the TV, but I'm very disappointed with the lack of XP and OpenGL support. I'm dreaming of building a great 3-monitor 3D gaming setup, but I get the impression I'm just going to have to wait a while - there just seems to be a battle of closed-off, incompatible options right now, and not one of them is a complete solution.

I'm very glad I didn't get rid of all my old PC gear - I still have some ED glasses, my two old 7900GTX cards and an excellent CRT monitor. I think these are going to come in handy for me because I tend to replay my old favourite games a lot, and it looks like the 'old' Nvidia way is the best option for some (Thief is my favourite series, really hoping I can play Thief 2 and some fan missions in 3D).

Anyway, just saying hello to everyone - I've had a look around at various forums, blogs, etc. since I got my TV in December and this looks like the best one. I'm gonna go familiarise myself with the forums now & will likely post a new topic about legacy Nvidia 3D in a bit. o/
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey man! Welcome to the forum. Things were indeed nice in the heyday of 3d pc gaming, but things are getting better. Still no OpenGL support but barely any games use that these days. Triple screen 3d sounds great in theory but I don't think its really worth it at this point. The money could be better spent on a 3d projector. Anyway, stick around. It's a great forum here. Lots of information.
VanBurenPhilips
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VanBurenPhilips »

Howdy, thanks for the welcome.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Hi timturf, enjoy your stay : )
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
quakelore
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by quakelore »

Hey all,

I am just now starting to get in to 3D gaming after playing for the past 10 years since I was a kid. I am interested to move forward in to this new generation of madness and continue pwning each and every one of you :D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Welcome man!

If you need some 3D glasses, I am sending them out for FREE! They are, of course, the cheap paper glasses but they are good to get you started if you don't already have a 3D rig. They can be used with the iZ3D driver to play games in 3D. If you want the glasses, send me a PM with your address.
folkew
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by folkew »

Im very happy I found this forum, I have been reading a lot of reviews and tried to find information, but as stated here, it seem that a lot of people on the web that havent tried it or not bothered to configure 3d correctly have an opinion in this matter, but I still decided to walk the 3d road. So today I ordered a Gtx590 and in the weekend I will buy the Acer 27" 3d monitor. I feel confident here to get the most out of this experience so I wish you all a wonderful day. /Folke
* My graphic card cost more than my car :-) *
(Gtx 590 vs Peugeot 106 from 1996)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome!
folkew's siglink wrote:* My graphic card cost more than my car :-) *
It's all about priorities. :mrgreen:

There exists a story about carstereo and carvalue... followed by big trouble getting full insurance for the car and trouble at the yearly vehicle test... :roll:
folkew
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by folkew »

Thanks....
You are right about priorities, if the car break down, I will just leave it and walk home... If my graphic card fail, I will cry :-)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey man! That sounds like it will be a really nice setup.

Just keep in mind it may take a few days to get used to the 3D, and how to work the driver, etc. Once your eyes adjust it can be a really amazing experience.
folkew
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by folkew »

Finally the Acer 27 monitor arrived and I could take my first baby steps in the 3d world :shock:
This is very new and different and "WOOW" , it works really well and give an extra kick to the games... As mentioned, it will take some time before Im used to it and I had some problems already such as right eye freezes in Crysis 2, but I guess thats a Crytek thing to solve. I will post these questions in the right category. But after testing a couple of hours yesterday, Im now officially in the clan of 3d gamers :-)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome man! Glad thats working out for you.
iGuitar93
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iGuitar93 »

Hello guys and gals!

I'm new to the 3D scene. I'm currently playing games in anaglyph. I ordered some Pro-ana anaglyph glasses because of this forum and cybereality's youtube videos. They work great! Actually I got into 3d because someone posted on x-simulator.de about cybereality's youtube videos. So far gaming in 3d is awesome. I ordered a new graphics card for higher framerates and that should come tomorrow! I'm excited. Hopefully I can get the Acer h5360 around Christmas/ for Christmas and a Viewsonic VP3D1 video processor.

P.S. Does anyone know of a free or open source 3d movie player that supports mkv and switching audio tracks (as in the video has an english and french audio track)?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome man! Welcome to the forum! Pro-Anas are great for the price, but of course not as good as a full 3D setup.

The best player is the Stereoscopic Player. It costs money, but its affordable. They have a free trial so you can see if it works (limited to 5 minutes).
iGuitar93
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iGuitar93 »

cybereality wrote:Awesome man! Welcome to the forum! Pro-Anas are great for the price, but of course not as good as a full 3D setup.

The best player is the Stereoscopic Player. It costs money, but its affordable. They have a free trial so you can see if it works (limited to 5 minutes).
Stereoscopic player trial is what i'm using now. I was hoping their would be a comparable free software. Guess not. I'll just have to quit being cheap and buy it. Thanks!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@tcboy88: Hey, whats up man? Welcome to the forum.

If you want, you can make a post about your hand tracking stuff, looks very interesting. Probably the VR/AR sub-forum is the best place for that.
waldorf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by waldorf »

Hello from me in UK. I'm pretty new to all this stuff - other than being a life-long 'View-Master' fan. I've started to get some custom VM reels from iamge3D (only 2D so far). My avatar is a VM reel showing me in my toastmaster role. I've got a fuji real 3D camera on its way so I hope to get into 3D reels soon - using stereo photomaker to get 2 separate images (if that can be done??).
I'm also intrigued by the London Stereoscopic company (which I found by this site, thanks) and the Brain May viewers so any advice will be most welcome.
Cheers
Waldorf Cartoons http://www.waldorfcartoons.com
Distinctive kindle book author: http://www.kindlebooksplus.co.uk
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey! Welcome to the forum. I also have fond memories of the Viewmaster as a kid. Good stuff.
wiredmessiah
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wiredmessiah »

Hey everyone. After trolling these boards for quite some time and doing lots of reading and research, I finally ordered a HMZ-T1 from Sony. This isn't my first HMD. I bought a VFX3D back in college and loved it. I can't wait to see how far the technology has come since then.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Hey wiredmessiah, i'm sure you'll be impressed by the HMZ. Well, by the picture at least, maybe not the comfort until you mod it :)

Hey waldorf, Viewmasters are great! I actually just was given my grandmothers Viewmaster. Its awesome old school bakelite with all these old (id guess 40s) photo disks. I just wish that there was a viewmaster available that had a wider FOV. It would be cool if you could look into it and the screen was so big that it enveloped your viewpoint, would be much more like being there.
wiredmessiah
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wiredmessiah »

I fully plan on modding it :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey, welcome to the board!
wiredmessiah
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wiredmessiah »

What is the first game I should play on the HMZ? I'm thinking Battlefield 3 with the DDD drivers.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Battlefield is a good choice, Trine 2 is also really good.
wiredmessiah
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wiredmessiah »

I might have to pick up Crysis 2 as well
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

wiredmessiah wrote:I might have to pick up Crysis 2 as well
An advice: Don't go for Crysis 2 (ok game but 3d sucks). Assassins creed games are generally quite ok in 3d. Devil may cry 3&4 are a blast.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”