Say: Hello!

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Say: Hello!

Post by Neil »

Welcome to MTBS!

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome! :shutter
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey, welcome to the club!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hi And Welcome!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
sonsofsol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sonsofsol »

hi everybody! i'm new here too and i joined because it seems to be the place for stereo3D in the web here. :shock:
im a 3D animator/generalist and highly interested in building DIY VR applications...thats why the information you guys provide here is important to me. I use 3dsmax for modeling and animating and Pure Data + Gem as "game-engine". I also worked with eyesweb for tracking, glovepie and wii infrared tracking, Arduino stuff, and the next thing i want to have a look at is ARtoolKIT.
Therefore i want to get a pair of video glasses, and the review about the VR920 sounds interesting to me because of the built in sensors. just...i cant find a retailer in europe/germany/austria.
Does anybody know how to get it? AND has somebody experience with the CarlZeiss cinemizer in comparison to VR920 in means of picture quality?
jej...so many questions.

Also i have to tell you that im really happy to find out some other people are interested in this awsome technology aswell. Thanks for this page, people!
greetings from salzburg/ausria
sebastian
http://www.3rd-eye.at" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://republikdersehnsucht.blog.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Hi sebastian, and welcome.
The VR920 have very bad comments regarding its built in sensor, specially for yaw. I'd recommend you an emagin z800. It's a lot more expensive, and right now has virtually no support for stereo graphics, but it's overall superior (800x600, OLED displays, no heat, low power consumption, no need for power supply and excelent tracking sensor).
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome Sebastian!
sonsofsol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sonsofsol »

hi crim & likay, thank you for your reply crim, i will check those glasses out. i need a stereoscopic output device that can deal with a simple side by side stereo pair as a vga or av video stream for presenting the realtime 3d applications im working on. i just had a look at iz3d monitors wich looked like a nice alternative to video goggles, but after some recherche i dont think that it can do this...
http://republikdersehnsucht.blog.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

There is a dual input version of the z800, but it's even more expensive, quite a lot.

phil is using the iz3d algorithm in his tech demo game "Le cauchemar"
http://download.programmerart.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maybe you can PM him for more information.

Another option may be a DLP projector. The checkerboard output is easy to implement and some fellow members have reported that a wall sized stereo screen is amazing.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
sonsofsol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sonsofsol »

jej, im afraid TOO expensive for my budget in the near future...a dlp setup is not an option, as i dont have the ability to deliver interlaced stereo, and also it should fit in our neat presentation suitcase wich you can see here... :twisted:
http://www.facebook.com/#/photo.php?pid ... 1537669576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i asked at iz3d forum and it would be a way to write a shader in order to get it running in ogl. :roll: ..maybee your friend can tell me if its worth the trouble...
does this zalman 3d monitor use the same technology as iz3d or can it do side by side possibly?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Zalman is an interlaced solution. I have one, its pretty decent. You are not going to find any S3D device that supports side-by-side natively. They all have their own different methods. VR920 has its own SDK you can integrate with your application. Zalman interlaced should be pretty simple to write support for. Other solutions have their own methods (ie IZ3D) but none of them support side-by-side AFAIK.
sonsofsol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sonsofsol »

hi cyberreality!
this one can do it. im sorry its in german, couldnt find english flyer...
http://www.zeiss.de/c12575760044ffa4/Co ... 6d002b2175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but it says it stretches 2 halfes of the videoscreen to 640x 480 for each eye.
whats pretty crappy...
i must admit i dont have much experience with the s3d thing as im no gamer, but i thought this would be a common format, at least for movies. i have to learn a lot...
sonsofsol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sonsofsol »

thanks for metioning the zalman. i looked it up and it seems a possibility to.
sonsofsol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sonsofsol »

you were right cyberreality! interlacing is not so hard to implement.
i did a hardhack with a fence to get the interlacing for the zalman into my ogl engine...
i post a testimage here, could somewone who has a zalman take a look at it and tell me if it works?
i see no reason why it shouldnt though...
interlace_test.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah the image appears to work on the Zalman.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Yeah. Works for me too.
sonsofsol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sonsofsol »

thanks likay + cyberreality. if someone is interested in useing the zalman + pd u can pm me.
Pianotips
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pianotips »

hello!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome! Have some glogg and gingerbreads and enjoy your stay! :D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey!
Tretboot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tretboot »

Hello! :woot
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Good evening and have a happy new year! :mrgreen: :shutter :shutter :shutter
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sup!
astralpancakes
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by astralpancakes »

Hello everyone! :)

I will be posting noobie questions about HMDs and graphics cards shortly.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey man! Welcome to the wonderful world of stereo 3D!!! :shutter
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by xhonzi »

Hello from Thornton, CO!

I am a long time mostly lurker from avsforum.com (site references allowed? They linked here...) I have always had an interest in 3D but have never gone to the "extreme" lengths to get it up and going in my home theatre. With all of the "official push" this year, I've been excited to see all of the new products and finally get 3D going in my basement.

I currently have a Panny LCD PJ (AE500) shooting 720p at 128" on a self painted silverish drywall/screen. It's suited me very well for 6.5 years so far, but I was hoping to upgrade to 1080p and 3D this fall. It seems that they have announced/produced lots of 720p 3D projectors, but no 1080p 3D projectors "in my price range."

So I started to revisit the dual PJ possibility, but the silver screen thing seems to be a pretty big hurdle. I'm hoping to use the same screen (DIY Paint if possible) for dual PJ 3D watching/gaming as standard 2D watching/gaming, and it appears that that is a pretty dicey situation. There are threads at avsforum and hometheatershack with DIY'ers trying to solve the paint puzzle, but so far no practical results.

That and the likelihood/cost of some kind of video splitter needed to drive two PJs off of a single HDMI cable I guess is going to keep my from pulling the trigger just yet. I don't have any experience with 120hz shutter, so I don't know how well that solution will sit with me. Technically it seems a lot simpler... but the cost of the many glasses I'd eventually own is quite deterring. That and the lack of affordable PJs announced for the rest of this calendar year.

Also, I'm pretty much a console gamer these days though I used to be anti-console/pro-PC. The little time I have "as an adult" to manage drivers, software bugs, HW upgrades, etc... drove me to the console. If I get 3D at home and the consoles can't keep up with my 3D gaming "needs" I guess I'll be heading back to PC for a spell.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. So far I've been reading a lot of your well informed posts. Keep up the good work!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey, welcome to the forum. If you are looking for a 1080P 3D projector, just wait. I'm sure there will be one by years end.
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by xhonzi »

Thanks for the welcome. The situation with 120hz 3D projectors reminds me of the Progressive Scan DVD player situation in 2003. I really needed a new DVD player, and I wanted a progressive scan disc changer in the <$150 market. You could easily find any number of disc changers for ~$100 and any number of progressive scan players for the same. But you could not find any that had both! Basically, you havd to choose which you wanted more. The following spring, all of the sudden, all of the vendors had their progressive scan disc changers out. So, if you had just purchased one or the other of the models available in the fall... you now would be tempted to buy yet another player. Luckily, I just waited and only bought the model I really wanted. It was $130, if I recall.

The ~$700 cost for the new 720p 120hz 3D Projectors is frankly a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. So I anxiously checked to see what the 1080p PJs would cost... and to my surprise I couldn't find any announcements on models meeting that specification (in my price range, at least). It seems, again, that they want me to buy a compromised product this fall and then buy what I really wanted next year sometime. I guess I'll wait now, like I waited then. Hopefully the price tag on the 1080p's is as reasonable.
pete12
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pete12 »

Hello to everybody :D
Great forum, just what I was looking for. I look forward to your help and hopefully contributing to your fantastic community.
Got plenty of newbie questions to ask!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey, wassup man! Welcome to the forum.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi there and welcome! :)
pete12
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pete12 »

Cheers for the welcome!
I'm beginning to realise this 3d business is quite a headache, and thats before the glasses are on! :D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

pete12 wrote:I'm beginning to realise this 3d business is quite a headache, and thats before the glasses are on! :D
Yeah, it so true. I've been into this stuff for years and its still as confusing as ever.
pete12
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pete12 »

cybereality wrote:
pete12 wrote:I'm beginning to realise this 3d business is quite a headache, and thats before the glasses are on! :D
Yeah, it so true. I've been into this stuff for years and its still as confusing as ever.
I think I need to reconsider getting into this then :lol: But by all accounts this seems to be a big year for 3d gaming and Blu ray so long may the headaches continue!
RazFairlight
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RazFairlight »

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself: I'm a musician by profession, and an amateur virtual reality mad-scientist/nerd. I'm slightly obsessed with HMDs and their optical technology, and I'm quite far in building my own using LEEP optics (Which provide around a 120° FOV, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a set, as well as an HMD that already uses them); I've been documenting every step I've taken so far, so I'll be posting a step by step tutorial on how you can build your own too once I'm done, and I'll try to find some alternative to the LEEP optics because they're so hard to get... but that's for another thread.

I'm also going to be starting a blog/vlog on my VR tinkering, and I'll be posting some reviews of HMDs I own shortly.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all and sharing information. :D
"People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think." -George Carlin
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome!
And yes: Post away about your diy hmd. Fov=120°? That would be something!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey RazFairlight, welcome to the forum. If you like to tinker with HMDs then you came to the right place. I always dreamed of getting a hold of those LEEP HMDs. Please post some pictures of your setup (feel free to start your own thread in the DIY section).
benlin910
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by benlin910 »

hello and welcome!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey!
billqs
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by billqs »

I'd like to say "Hello" also. I'm new, have been heavily researching 3D for about a month and everyday I seem to learn amazing new things! This site has been really helpful in helping me figure out how get the best 3D I can with what I've got, and also given me ideas on how to expand.

Thansk!

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”