Say: Hello!

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
digitalmellon
One Eyed Hopeful

Say: Hello!

Post by digitalmellon »

Hello!

Just want to say hello to everyone and like to join the community.
Hope I'll be useful and help you with the mission. :]

CU

P.S. There wasn't a proper topic so i created one. I think it should be sticky.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

wzzup!. welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hey man! Sweet sig you got there. Nice to see new members every day. This place is really warming up!
Dyssident
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dyssident »

Hello and welcome!

While you're here, try out Nations at War: the free MTBS3D text-based strategy game
http://www.mtbs3d.com/naw

...and feel free to sign up using my invitation code 12098334596885 :)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:Hey man! Sweet sig you got there. Nice to see new members every day. This place is really warming up!
where, what rig?? giveDaLink. anyhow nice to know east european people are starting to arrive. as they say in polish, bardzo dobze.
digitalmellon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitalmellon »

Almost east european. Central European, in the name of facts.
I assume u are east from my place, Yuriy? Where exactly?
haraszo or sth? ;P

I have watched the forum for some time. Recently got my Revelator shutterglasses to work by removing two pins from in VGA cable. What a relief. Now i'm ready to action. ;]

I know stereo "things" since i have born. My grandfather owned stereo camera, so i was familiar with the subject.
So I am into subject for real. Games are my first love therefore i'm in right place.
Right now fooling around with nvidia driver & few games and be seeing you guys in some serious topic soon.
Starting with something BASIC.

P.S.
Dyssident wrote:...and feel free to sign up using my invitation code
what "City Name" should i type? Real one?
Did u said "text-based"? :o
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

digitalmellon wrote:Almost east european. Central European, in the name of facts.
I assume u are east from my place, Yuriy? Where exactly?
haraszo or sth? ;P
Kiev, Ukraine. sorta like poland only a lil poorer and more piracy :)
Dyssident
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dyssident »

digitalmellon wrote:what "City Name" should i type? Real one?
Did u said "text-based"?
Not your real city, just a made-up name for your city in the game. You can always change it later on.

It's "text-based" meaning the game involves numbers of units and resources and statistics and that sort of thing. It's not for everyone but give it a try :)
digitalmellon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitalmellon »

dont worry, piracy have has gone higher level here here. :]

and don't worry - we surely fail with euro2012-sh*t so u will get rich 'cos we are unable to build roads for that show.

send me some smooth contact to u 'cos ICQ resist to cooperate.

cu
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

digitalmellon wrote:dont worry, piracy have has gone higher level here here. :]

and don't worry - we surely fail with euro2012-sh*t so u will get rich 'cos we are unable to build roads for that show.

send me some smooth contact to u 'cos ICQ resist to cooperate.

cu
I also have msn: yuriythebest@hotmail.com
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Welcome :)
sharky

Post by sharky »

Dyssident wrote:Hello and welcome!

While you're here, try out Nations at War: the free MTBS3D text-based strategy game
http://www.mtbs3d.com/naw

...and feel free to sign up using my invitation code 12098334596885 :)
lol mine is nicer.. :D

welcome everybody!
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

bob_shaftenkluger
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bob_shaftenkluger »

Hi people. Really tired, cant think of anything to say right now!
oops
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by oops »

Hi all nice to be here :)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Welcome! :P

Regards,
Neil
kekewons
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Say: Hello!

Post by kekewons »

Hello to all (Neil has already welcomed me in another thread).

New to the forum, since I only just in the last few days discovered it exists.

My personal focus: LIFESIZE realtime gaming ("simulation," really, but I'll use the term "gaming" because it's much more widely and commonly understood)...

...which typically involves projection (and which almost certainly does in my case because I'm primarly focused on realtime sim-racing).

Ideally (we aren't there yet) in concert with "Full Surround" (aka "dome") projection (with the center section rendered in true stereo)...and in concert with headtracking/eyetracking even better yet.

Personal primary software focus: "Sim-racing," as in "simulated racing." Not driving games...not "Grand Theft Auto" or "Need For Speed"...but only simulations of driving real cars in a (real) racing environment*: "rFactor," "iRacing," "Richard Burns Rally," "Nascar 2003" and "Grand Prix Legends".

Secondary focus--flight sims. The "IL-2" series being a personal favorite (even though I realize it has it problems seen in S3D).

I just put up a rather long winded expose on my own S3D experience thusfar in the "why do you like S-3D" thread in "General Forums"/"General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion"/"Why do you like S-3D?" thread (sorry. I cannot at the moment manage to provide a direct link (possibly because I browse under Linux), so anyone who's interested in the content of that post might wander over there.

I DO take this topic quite seriously, FYI. I'm looking to make it truly immersive, if possible.

k
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Welcome!
Nice interest and nice rig! Looking forward to see more from you! :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Fox12
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fox12 »

Hey all, pretty new to S-3D gaming but had this site recommended and have found it really useful already! (Thx Chopper)

Using Nvidia 3D vision with the samsung 2233rz monitor.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Fox12 wrote:Hey all, pretty new to S-3D gaming but had this site recommended and have found it really useful already! (Thx Chopper)

Using Nvidia 3D vision with the samsung 2233rz monitor.
yeah Chopper thanks for recommending this site! :lol:

Welcome to MTBS Fox12!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Yes...that Chopper guy is amazing! :mrgreen:

Regards,
Neil
juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

hi

About 20 minutes ago i read some stuff about 3d glasses and long story short i found this forum :woot

Have not read much yet, starting now, my main goal is to capture uncompressed footage from cs 1.6 at 2560x1080 and now ( maybe, if possible ) lets say 3D :)

will see if possible, anyway hi.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome!

I think the one with the most successful videos in quality here is Blackshark. He uses the iz3d driver for stereorendering and i think he still uses the over/above option. He uses an external tv-capturecard with great success. Just don't dream of the resolutions you mentioned earlier though. :(
Myself i can use two dvd-recorders to capture the signals from the computer (using dual projector rig) but it's very hard, almost impossible to get sync right. The result is a video that's very tiring for the eyes, especially in fast moving scenes. :( . Inspite of the lower resolution of Blacksharks method the videos are way better quality than mine so i would suggest giving those a try. Investing in a hd-video capturing device would of course increase the resolution and quality.
Check the thread Here
juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

Likay wrote:Hi and welcome!

I think the one with the most successful videos in quality here is Blackshark. He uses the iz3d driver for stereorendering and i think he still uses the over/above option. He uses an external tv-capturecard with great success. Just don't dream of the resolutions you mentioned earlier though. :(
Myself i can use two dvd-recorders to capture the signals from the computer (using dual projector rig) but it's very hard, almost impossible to get sync right. The result is a video that's very tiring for the eyes, especially in fast moving scenes. :( . Inspite of the lower resolution of Blacksharks method the videos are way better quality than mine so i would suggest giving those a try. Investing in a hd-video capturing device would of course increase the resolution and quality.
Check the thread Here
I "work" for http://www.advancedfx.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, we code plugins and a gui for cs 1.6 and other games that allows stuff as splitstreams ( models separated from world via green screen, depth of field, wireframe and others ) so getting the
Stereoscopic vision could be compared to stereo Sound. Your brain combines two similar pictures, but from different angle to a 3D picture, which reaches from far bejond the Screen to a place between the screen and your eyes.
Might be easy to do with no hardware or stuff

have to read more ofc

There already is a stereo mode that just cuts the image in 2 parts, when i get more info and if it can be done would be great

I see you use avysinth and x264 to code, i am working on a automated bat now ( it makes the .avs on its own, codes audio and video and muxes etc etc ) here http://style-productions.net/?page=forum_thread&id=3539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will add a "3D" version if all i k

So, my last post here, i will make a thread with questions after i read more about what stereoscopic vision is,

Hi again.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Oki. Got it. :D

It's not the first time i might have "misjudged" somebody. I'm very curious on seeing the results you achieve! Please keep us informed if you like and post the readymade vid as well!

Cheers!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Recording at such a high resolution without hardware will be tough but it should be possible with CS1.6

First you must find a recording software that accepts to work with the 3D driver. Depending on your system you may have to try different recording softwares. It may change from one graphics card to an other, a gpu driver or a 3D driver revison, it is totally unpredictable. For instance fraps used to work with iz3d 1.07 but has never worked on my computer since 1.08betas. Nvidia also has issues. I think HL1 engine is DX7 based isn't it ? then iZ3D may not work. I have no magic bullet for this.

I don't know if there is a frame-by-frame recording tool for HL1 engine but if you have to record in real time you will have trouble with insufficient recording fps.
I've seen on iz3d forums that iZ3D used this software to change the speed of their games when they record http://www.softcows.com/speed_gear.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this should slow down the game enough for you to record a good equivalent framerate. After recording, you'll just have to speed up the framerate to get the desired fps.
This will not work online so i highly recommand you use the demo features of the Half life 1 engine (which i'm pretty sure you are mastering).

I have never tried to record dual-monitor with software, so i have no idea if it works. If it does it's great but if it doesn't you'll have to choose between overunder and side by side. I do not know if the HL1 engine supports anamorphing rendering (non square pixels), i think it doesn't, so you will loose half the resolution either horizontally or vertically. I suggest you choose over/under (loose half vertical resolution) since the horizontal resolution is the most critical for depth perception (the better the horizontal resolution the more depth variations your eyes can see.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

Likay wrote:Oki. Got it. :D

It's not the first time i might have "misjudged" somebody. I'm very curious on seeing the results you achieve! Please keep us informed if you like and post the readymade vid as well!

Cheers!
Oh no, you judged me right but i have 2 german programers so things are easyer :)
BlackShark wrote:Recording at such a high resolution without hardware will be tough but it should be possible with CS1.6

First you must find a recording software that accepts to work with the 3D driver. Depending on your system you may have to try different recording softwares. It may change from one graphics card to an other, a gpu driver or a 3D driver revison, it is totally unpredictable. For instance fraps used to work with iz3d 1.07 but has never worked on my computer since 1.08betas. Nvidia also has issues. I think HL1 engine is DX7 based isn't it ? then iZ3D may not work. I have no magic bullet for this.

I don't know if there is a frame-by-frame recording tool for HL1 engine but if you have to record in real time you will have trouble with insufficient recording fps.
I've seen on iz3d forums that iZ3D used this software to change the speed of their games when they record http://www.softcows.com/speed_gear.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this should slow down the game enough for you to record a good equivalent framerate. After recording, you'll just have to speed up the framerate to get the desired fps.
This will not work online so i highly recommand you use the demo features of the Half life 1 engine (which i'm pretty sure you are mastering).

I have never tried to record dual-monitor with software, so i have no idea if it works. If it does it's great but if it doesn't you'll have to choose between overunder and side by side. I do not know if the HL1 engine supports anamorphing rendering (non square pixels), i think it doesn't, so you will loose half the resolution either horizontally or vertically. I suggest you choose over/under (loose half vertical resolution) since the horizontal resolution is the most critical for depth perception (the better the horizontal resolution the more depth variations your eyes can see.
No need for dual monitor setup, just a 30', HLAE suports off screen rendering, i've recorded at 9000x5000 but no AA ( nvidia ... ) for this so you need a 30' for 2560 ....

But this does not matter, as i said via PM i do not want to hack the game/drivers for this

I just want to use the existing HLAE cammotion export ( because it is frame by frame ) to edit the stereo 3d in 3dmax and reimport it to cs to record ( so no game drivers problem, the 3d stereo motion will be calculated by the plugin and 3d elements ( real 3d ) will be added in 3dmax or after effects.

I saw some 3d gifs in one thread, is that what i need ? for each frame to "shake" as so :

If this will get stereo then it is very easy to make the motion.

ADMIN please more all this to a new thread, i will start reading a lot more soon but i was just operated and my head hurts if i sit more than 30 minutes at the pc.

To sum up what i need to know : what motion is needed to get the BEST 3D effect ? pictures will help a lot!

Also you have made a lot of movies this way, what hardware do i need to see them ? glasses ?

cammotion export :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7HkX28 ... annel_page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqEtO3xX ... annel_page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cammotion import : ( the motion was done in cinema4d, you import the cs map and create it or import it from cs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_eS4fa ... annel_page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If you have the map exported into a 3D application then it is very easy to to the stereo rendering yourself. All you have to do is make the camera animation like normal, expect create two cameras a small distance apart. Attach the cameras together (parent->child link, don't know what its called in c4d), and then render the scene once from each camera. Then you can take the 2 videos and use that to create a 3d movie. Should be easy enough.
juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

cybereality wrote:If you have the map exported into a 3D application then it is very easy to to the stereo rendering yourself. All you have to do is make the camera animation like normal, expect create two cameras a small distance apart. Attach the cameras together (parent->child link, don't know what its called in c4d), and then render the scene once from each camera. Then you can take the 2 videos and use that to create a 3d movie. Should be easy enough.
Yes, the capture + 3d cams are not a problem ( as i see now )

ingame i have :

mirv_movie_stereomode 1
mirv_movie_stereo_centerdist f

Default: 1.3
Categories: cvar, movie, streams, stereo In stereo mode this is the distances (in inches) by which the cam will be moved to the right for the right stream and to the left for the left stream. (Of course you can use negative floating point values.)

so capture and separation of left and right is done easy and automated with those 2 cvars.

this + the .avs script that i found here make it all easy.

now i have to look up hardware ( glasses, monitors etc etc )
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

juGGaKNot wrote:To sum up what i need to know : what motion is needed to get the BEST 3D effect ?
Hi juGGaKNot, it's a good question.

Getting the 'best' 3D effect can be a matter of personal preference, artistry, technical limitations and so on - it's not straightforward.

But generating a stereo pair that is exactly accurate and life-sized is simple geometry:

1. If you can control the game's FOV, set it to
    2 * atan((screenWidth/2) / distanceToScreen)

2. If you can't control the game's FOV, your optimal viewing distance will be
    (screenWidth/2) / tan(FOV/2)

3. For the left eye, shift the camera along its 'left' vector by
    interpupillaryDistance / 2

4. For the right eye, shift the camera along its 'right' vector by
    interpupillaryDistance / 2

5. Do not adjust the angle of the camera :!: Stereo cameras should never point inwards.

6. If you can re-shape the view frustum, then for each eye it should have its tip on the offset camera position and its four sides touching the four sides of the imaginary screen placed directly in front of the original camera position, matching the dimensions and viewing distance of your real screen.

7. If you can't re-shape the view frustum, then the two images need to be horizontally separated from each other after capture. The fraction of a frame width, by which the left-eye image should move to the left and the right-eye image should move to the right, is given by:
    (interpupillaryDistance/2) / screenWidth

Let me know if that's unclear or if I've made a mistake.

Cheers,
phil
juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

phil wrote:5. Do not adjust the angle of the camera :!: Stereo cameras should never point inwards.
See this, the main tools i have now for tuning are :

mirv_movie_stereo_yawdegrees 0.02 ( The value specifies how much the camera will be turned to the right for the left stream and how much to the left for the right stream )
mirv_movie_stereo_centerdist 1.3 ( This is the distances (in inches) by which the cam will be moved to the right for the right stream and to the left for the left stream )

mirv_movie_stereo_yawdegrees should be 0 for best results ( no pointing inwards ) ?

Cheers.
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

juGGaKNot wrote:mirv_movie_stereo_yawdegrees should be 0 for best results ( no pointing inwards ) ?
That's right, keep the cameras totally parallel. And then be sure to shift the two images apart horizontally (point 7).

I know the parallel cameras thing is unintuitive at first, but it is absolutely the right way to create a stereo pair.
That's not to say that everyone agrees with me though :cry:
juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

phil wrote:
juGGaKNot wrote:mirv_movie_stereo_yawdegrees should be 0 for best results ( no pointing inwards ) ?
That's right, keep the cameras totally parallel. And then be sure to shift the two images apart horizontally (point 7).

I know the parallel cameras thing is unintuitive at first, but it is absolutely the right way to create a stereo pair.
That's not to say that everyone agrees with me though :cry:
Until i get my hands on a 3D screen i will use 0, darn and i was thinking that i had a great deal with my benq e2200HD ( 1920x1080, hdmi, hdcp, 2ms g2g etc etc ) and now i see i need a iz3d monitor for my movies + one of those new samsung with 120 refresh rate for gaming :|

I will talk to the programer to set mirv_movie_stereo_yawdegrees to 0 as default for parallel and i will test mirv_movie_stereo_centerdist from 0.1 to 5 inches and post for you to say what looks best.

thnx, cheers.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The same goes regarding ordinary stereo cameras. I think it's "universal".
juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

Likay wrote:The same goes regarding ordinary stereo cameras. I think it's "universal".
About this, how close the cams need to be ? thinking of 2 sanyo 1080p60 cameras ....
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

That would be something! It's a little costly story though. :(

I had a stereocamera for a while but it feels like i'm learning things all the time...
For everyday use the distance between the lenses should be about the same as the eyedistance. It's not really critical but it get's impossible to capture a comfortable stereo on very closeup objects if lensdistance is too great. If you want stereoview on very far away objects like landscapes etc then the distance between the cameras can be very high (10 metres or so.... :lol: ).
For "macros" you can use the zoom on the camera and increase the distance to the object to one metre or so. Result is of course not a true macrophoto but with some luck they may look great with great depth.

Syncing might be an issue using two cameras. But is you try to keep the camera somewhat still and not moving around too fast, then this isn't making a big deal either. Filming fast paced scenes might look wrong if the syncing isn't correct.
juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

Likay wrote:That would be something! It's a little costly story though. :(

I had a stereocamera for a while but it feels like i'm learning things all the time...
For everyday use the distance between the lenses should be about the same as the eyedistance. It's not really critical but it get's impossible to capture a comfortable stereo on very closeup objects if lensdistance is too great. If you want stereoview on very far away objects like landscapes etc then the distance between the cameras can be very high (10 metres or so.... :lol: ).
For "macros" you can use the zoom on the camera and increase the distance to the object to one metre or so. Result is of course not a true macrophoto but with some luck they may look great with great depth.

Syncing might be an issue using two cameras. But is you try to keep the camera somewhat still and not moving around too fast, then this isn't making a big deal either. Filming fast paced scenes might look wrong if the syncing isn't correct.
Well 2 sanyo cams are cheaper that a top of the line canon and i get the only cam that does 1080p60 + zebra ( very good for green screen shooting )

All footage will be on trypod with green screen, have to find a way to start recording at the same time yes + test the optimal distance as you said.

I do not see myself spending more than 1200 $ on this so pro stereo cams are not for me i guess.

Also the non conventional pistol shape is smaller so lens will be closer than other cams.

thnx for the input.
Allingby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Allingby »

Well hello, MTBS community! Allingby here, you may have heard of me from such places as... "The Internet" Okay, you most likely haven't. :shock:
I've joined today, because in the recent weeks, I've gotten extremely interested in S-3D. I see nVIDIA is doing okay with... Kind of an old tech out there, iZ3D with my personal favorite of S-3D-tech, and many others, with pretty awesome stuff to offer! :woot

Looks like S-3D just caught another one :roll: Sadly, I don't have anything S-3D, yet. But I'm making sure my gaming rig (Which the mailman should hand over to me in about a week) is ready for it :P

Nice to be here, and I sure plan on sticking around :)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Welcome to the site!

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Nice to see you too! Enjoy your stay!
cravinmild
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cravinmild »

Hi all, just got signed up and this is my first post on MTBS.....ya me! I see lots of good stuff here, tons of info. I bought the nvidia bundle (2233+glasses) a few months back and love to show them off any chance I get. Great site here, I see a few familar names which is nice also.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”