Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by jaybug »

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "Backtop rig"? Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.. clever name :p

Anyways, any news about the post-kickstarter ordering of devkits?
Last edited by jaybug on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TilliK
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TilliK »

Thats awsome palmer! Can't December be here already? :)
So can you share some of the new spec? Or is it the same still?
Damn I'm exited! Thank you for doing this! :)
DougWolanick
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DougWolanick »

PalmerTech wrote:We just finished up a new prototype, been playing Doom on our backtop rig. It is crazy how intense it can be, my entire body was sweating at the end of a single level!
My imagination is running to some kind of positional tracking being the cause of the physical exertion, would explain why a backtop would be necessary.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

All of Doom 3 BFG Edition is compatible.

No positional tracking, just spinning in circles with a gamepad and fear of demons. ;)

Jaybug, we will be adding non-Kickstarter orders to our website in the next two weeks.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Awesome, i actually saw you guys mention that in one of the videos on youtube, however it's great hearing it right from the source. Also, thanks for the awesome idea regarding spinning in circles with a backtop rig :P
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Palmer, any more info in regards to the pre-Kickstarter orderees? I also sent you a PM Palmer with a few questions I imagine some of us might share.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I also thought that a simple setup that would make you feel safe while standing upright would make for a great Doom3 BFG experience.
A laptop in a backpack a RIFT with an AC/DC converter to run it off a battery and a small circular platform to stand in that would have a safty ring at waist level to keep you from walking in any direction and keep you feeling safe while standing with the RIFT on. You would still be able to turn 360deg. when in the ring and look wherever you want using the RIFT's head tracker and the hand held controler for everything else.
hast
Cross Eyed!

Post by hast »

3dvison wrote:I also thought that a simple setup that would make you feel safe while standing upright would make for a great Doom3 BFG experience. ... A laptop in a backpack a RIFT with an AC/DC converter to run it off a battery and a small circular platform to stand in that would have a safty ring at waist level to keep you from walking in any direction and keep you feeling safe while standing with the RIFT on.
I was thinking that too. It's pretty similar to the old VR stands where you stood on a platform. I'm thinking that if you put 3 chairs in a triangle around you and then put a hula hoop over them that could suffice. At least if your goal is to make sure that you don't walk into a wall or something like that.

I also I like idea someone had (possibly in another thread) of making an entire room into a play area. So you could have virtual windows in the room where you shoot at enemies outside. (Kind of like a zombie survival mode.)
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Alkapwn wrote:Palmer, any more info in regards to the pre-Kickstarter orderees? I also sent you a PM Palmer with a few questions I imagine some of us might share.
It would definitely make me feel better to have some details. All I've got right now is my PayPal receipt.
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

Unknown Worlds, the creator of Natural Selection 2 http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/ said they're backing the Rift kickstarter, so Rift support might be possible!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Pre-Kickstarter orders are going to get treated well, I promise. :) It is too early to say exactly how it will be handled, but they will all be getting their units ahead of any Kickstarter orders, with partial refunds to make up for whatever tier they choose.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

that makes me wish i found this site before the kickstarter lol
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

PalmerTech wrote:Pre-Kickstarter orders are going to get treated well, I promise. :) It is too early to say exactly how it will be handled, but they will all be getting their units ahead of any Kickstarter orders, with partial refunds to make up for whatever tier they choose.
That's the spirit; when you are on the cover of Time magazines and featured in Forbes - don't forget your root ;)
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

PalmerTech wrote:Pre-Kickstarter orders are going to get treated well, I promise. :) It is too early to say exactly how it will be handled, but they will all be getting their units ahead of any Kickstarter orders, with partial refunds to make up for whatever tier they choose.
Hey Palmer, I posted this a while back during your month of craziness so you may have missed it, but a cool idea I had for the pre-Kickstarters was to put the original (awesome) Oculus logo on them.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... ogo#p77476

( still sad to see that logo go :( )
MSat

Post by MSat »

brantlew wrote:
Hey Palmer, I posted this a while back during your month of craziness so you may have missed it, but a cool idea I had for the pre-Kickstarters was to put the original (awesome) Oculus logo on them.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... ogo#p77476

( still sad to see that logo go :( )
I personally liked the old logo more than the current one, which imo looks a little generic.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

I, for one, prefer the new one.
DolAtoR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DolAtoR »

Just wanted to drop you a note that I am answering questions about my Rift session from gamescom over at reddit:

By the way: Both logos look great if you ask me, but having the old logo on those few boxes would be a very neat gesture to the very first backers :)
Mel

Post by Mel »

I was hoping to send more 'gift' money to bump myself up to the two Rift level ($575, I believe). Will that be do-able For us pre-Kickstartees?
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

You the best Palmer! I guess it still is a bit early. :? I keep hoping tomorrow is November. :(
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well personally think the new logo looks a lot better, but maybe that's just me.
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

You're the best dude! At the risk of sounding cheesy: thanks for following your dream! Honestly I would have given pre-kickstarter anyways just to try and help you succeed. I had hopes something would come of your efforts in a few years but no clue it would blow up this way :) even with Doom 3 BFG that was just one game and despite all the current press most people are still oblivious to the Rift. Hopefully once many games have a 'compatible with Rift' logo things will change to be even better!
Ibex 3D VR Desktop for the Oculus Rift: http://hwahba.com/ibex - https://bitbucket.org/druidsbane/ibex
NZstory
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NZstory »

cybereality wrote:Well personally think the new logo looks a lot better, but maybe that's just me.
2nd'd The old one looks like something that came from the 80's. The new one looks sharp and clean and something I could imagine on retail packaging.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

NZstory wrote:
cybereality wrote:Well personally think the new logo looks a lot better, but maybe that's just me.
2nd'd The old one looks like something that came from the 80's. The new one looks sharp and clean and something I could imagine on retail packaging.
My thoughts exactly. I agree that the new one isn't the most creative logo I've ever seen and I know it's cliché to say, but it looks more professional.

That being said, I agree that having the old one on the pre-kickstarter Rift would be cool as hell!

Hell is cool right?
coresnake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by coresnake »

Hell is cool right?
It is now, since it froze over and we finally got a decent HMD...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

coresnake wrote:
Hell is cool right?
It is now, since it froze over and we finally got a decent HMD...
^ This.
enjolrasfab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by enjolrasfab »

Hi!
I've got a little question for Mr Palmer, as Oculus Rift kickstarter funding finished few days ago, is it still possible to purchase one of the $300 devkits? Would like to try a few things with this but I jumped up on the bandwagon too late... Thanks!
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

enjolrasfab wrote:Hi! I've got a little question for Mr Palmer, as Oculus Rift kickstarter funding finished few days ago, is it still possible to purchase one of the $300 devkits? Would like to try a few things with this but I jumped up on the bandwagon too late... Thanks!
Answered here.
PalmerTech wrote:Jaybug, we will be adding non-Kickstarter orders to our website in the next two weeks.
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

A logo of an actual oculus (a circular window in a roof) would be fun to animate.
You could do things like have a view from below with a night sky + stars seen through the oculus. A full moon passes over, and when it hits the centre it becomes an eyeball. Then it locks in to place, becomes a vector and the text fades in.

Or maybe a view through the oculus - the sun passes over, and the moon intersects at just the right time to form an eclipse.
zoost
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoost »

My to be PC - VR setup

Looking: Oculus Rift
Looking around: Hillcrest Tracker
Walking around: Foot-operated joystick
Pointing my weapon: Mouse
Other actions: Keyboard

Do i forget anything?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

A keyboard might be quite difficult to use with the Rift. You may have to put textured stickers or something on it so you can find the keys.
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

brantlew wrote:A keyboard might be quite difficult to use with the Rift. You may have to put textured stickers or something on it so you can find the keys.
A lot of gaming enthusiasts use 10-key gaming keyboards with custom key assignments to their favorite games. Those are pretty easy to use once you're used to them. You'll not be typing a book with one but for games they give a lot of mapped commands available.
S3D Multi-projector Gaming System:
Intel i7 930, EVGA E762 4-Way motherboard, NVIDIA GTX470 Tri-SLI, 3x Optoma GT720 projectors, 180-degree circular screen, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, NTHUSIM Plus 3.2, Windows 7 Pro 64
Gunshot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gunshot »

Oh, yeah I was just thinking about that, like the Razer nostromo. http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboar ... r-nostromo. I wonder, with the hydra, the nostromo, and anything else they have, it seems razer should have quite an interest in the oculus rift succeeding.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

zoost wrote:Walking around: Foot-operated joystick
This looks very cool!

Except you can't buy that anywhere yet right?
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

brantlew wrote:A keyboard might be quite difficult to use with the Rift. You may have to put textured stickers or something on it so you can find the keys.
The F and J keys have ridges. I always use those to find my way around when I'm not looking at my keyboard.
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

MrGreen wrote:
zoost wrote:Walking around: Foot-operated joystick
This looks very cool!

Except you can't buy that anywhere yet right?
How about one of those fancy dance mats?

IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

That dance pad idea could honestly work, but you'd have to put railings around it so you dont end up off center, then obviously you'd have to do some sort of backtop rig, or make sure you're wired to the ceiling so you dont strangle yourself. I'd likely end up using a backtop rig with my razer hydra mounted to my back or something along those lines.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Does anyone know when the Oculus Rifts due for December will go into production?
I assume before they start building/assembling them, the final design will be revealed?
Or wont we see the actual design before they arrive?
I am very curious about the final design, and Im hoping users @mtbs3D will get treated with a little inside
scoop before everyone else hehehe.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
MSat

Post by MSat »

Going from prototype to production of hardware and SDK in just a few short months sounds like people will be spending some nights at the office :lol:

I'd understand if there are delays, but of course I hope it all goes according to plan.

I'm excited that some developers are getting early prototype. Hopefully that means they'll add Rift support to some of their current/older games by the time the hardware is released.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I agree, I would totally understand a delay and I am confident they will be doing their very best.
But the short few months from now until they are hoping to deliver 5000+units, tells me that the shell design etc. have to be done pretty soon. Do you agree?

That's why I am very eager to see the design chosen, as soon as we can. Small things like that will keep me from going crazy waiting.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
MSat

Post by MSat »

It looks like they've been working on designing the housing before the kickstarter even began, after all, they did have the render. They're probably contracting out much of the heavy lifting, so the overall team working on the project goes beyond just Oculus themselves. With the right team, the seemingly impossible is possible. IIRC, Google had their Nexus7 tab go from concept to shipping in just 4 short months.

I'm with you, though. I would love to have some sneak peeks at what's going on deep down in Oculus's secret bunker.

Return to “Oculus VR”