Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by pizzy00 »

Order ID: 000152
Purchase Date: Aug 1, 2012 11:56 AM UTC

Can't wait. I decided to finally signup for the forum. I had been coming here for years. I saw the whole Oculus John Carmack action going on.

I can't to see what other surprises they have in store.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

Welcome to MTBS, man.

It's an exciting place 8-)
MichaelH
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MichaelH »

frakur wrote:Order no 0052xx, ordered on 5th August. Bit disappointed with how far I am down the list, I thought I was around 3-4k based on the level of kickstarter funding at the time. Looks like a bit of extra waiting for me!
Looking about, I am pretty sure that is your overall backer number, not in terms of just the dev-kits. If they did manage 5k in the first run, you should probably consider yourself safe, I think.
rcblob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rcblob »

Damn someone beat me! I have "Order ID: 000002" :D
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Really?! You must have been mashing F5 like a maniac when the kick starter opened!
alpha
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alpha »

hammerbot wrote:Haha my order has an error in it. Please use only english character it tells me. But my address contains characters like ö ä ü. Should i just replace those characters with regular english ones?

I would use this substitution:
ö = oe
ä = ae
ü = ue
rcblob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rcblob »

Diorama wrote:Really?! You must have been mashing F5 like a maniac when the kick starter opened!
I may, *may* have had a script polling Kickstarter every 5 seconds and then emailing me a link to the page once it went live. I also may have made sure my phone was logged into Kickstarter and Amazon so I could confirm the order quickly.

Again, may.

:)
pAnatiC
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pAnatiC »

alpha wrote:
hammerbot wrote:Haha my order has an error in it. Please use only english character it tells me. But my address contains characters like ö ä ü. Should i just replace those characters with regular english ones?

ö = oe
ä = ae
ü = ue

same..

ß => b
now
ß => ss
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Order number 000101. I'm pretty sure I was the 101 person to pledge for the development kit. Early numbers seem to be in order, but not later ones.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

rmcclelland wrote:Order number 000101. I'm pretty sure I was the 101 person to pledge for the development kit. Early numbers seem to be in order, but not later ones.
clearly you are number 6. :geek:
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

Mystify wrote:
rmcclelland wrote:Order number 000101. I'm pretty sure I was the 101 person to pledge for the development kit. Early numbers seem to be in order, but not later ones.
Close. 5.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

jf031 wrote:
Mystify wrote:
Close. 5.
:lol: I didn't get it before your post
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

:oops:
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

pAnatiC wrote:
alpha wrote:

ö = oe
ä = ae
ü = ue

same..

ß => b
now
ß => ss
Sounds like a bad idea to me. The people sorting your packages will be comparing text, not how the characters are pronounced. They probably don't even know how those characters are pronounced, and if the package sorters are bilingual, they probably will understand that you meant "ö" when you wrote "o".

This is only a good idea if you think their computers make those same conversions...
Last edited by twofoe on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

jf031 wrote:
Mystify wrote:
Close. 5.
No, 6 was right. Programmers start from zero, so the order numbers would have gone:

MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Ahem. 0 *is* a number. But I suppose you could say the first order is placed in the zeroth entry.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

twofoe wrote:Sounds like a bad idea to me. The people sorting your packages will be comparing text, not how the characters are pronounced. They probably don't even know how those characters are pronounced, and if the package sorters are bilingual, they probably will understand that you meant "ö" when you wrote "o".

This is only a good idea if you think their computers make those same conversions...
Pretty sure the påckåge gets tø the cøuntry it's suppøsed tø, beføre they need tø sørt øut the cøuntry-specific letters.
drifter

Post by drifter »

jf031 wrote:
Mystify wrote:
Close. 5.
There are 10 types of people in the world ;)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

those who speak binary and those that don't ;)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Direlight wrote:
One of the better videos ... "I wanna fly ..." Once I got my Rift I will setup shop somewhere in Vienna and let people play with the Rift for 5€/5Minutes ... flying costs extra. :D
You could do that if you pay for all the licensing fees and have permission to use trade marked logos. An exception would be if you're running it out of a country that has no formal ties to the US, example Iran.

Latecomer to these forums and I've just spent a lot of the last three days ploughing through this thread (Yes really, all 250 pages of it !! :geek: ) and I've learnt a lot from you guys about what is available out there these days and it's great to see Palmer and his team getting the backing they deserve for their not inconsiderable efforts. Although I'm concerned about the potential backlash & negativity that may come once people who shouldn't have bought the dev kit start receiving them, realise they can only run the demo games/examples provided out of the box and then start moaning. We've already seen examples of that in some of the Kickstarter comments. I hope it doesn't create too much negativity.

I ran a business in the '90s and early 2000s hiring out Virtuality systems to Corporate events and exhibitions. I still have one of my 1000SU units and the parts from my 2000SUs and at the end of last year I was looking to upgrade my Visette2 units with higher resolution screens which was starting to look expensive when I discovered the Rift Kickstarter programme. I didn't back the project there (shame on me) as I was struggling to believe the hype as I've seen so many 'false dawns' but once I saw the reviews from CES and all the videos I realised that this really could be the re-emergence of VR as a viable technology so I'm one of the post Kickstarter pre-orders and can't wait. :woot

Back to the reason for my post however. I don't see any legal issues with using the Rift in a rental situation as you own the device and haven't signed any NDAs that would prevent you from hiring the equipment out. The environments that you run would potentially be a stumbling block if the licence agreements prevents you from using the game for reward although it doesn't seem to effect the use of games in the F1 or other racing simulators you see at trade shows.

Obviously you could create your own environments that are time limited for throughput , like the Virtuality Experiences, and you could offer to tailor or custom build those for your clients to include products, logos etc. As long as you comply with the various licence requirements of commercially available software like UDK for example with regards to percentages after earning $50k, or if you use other engines such as Unity or your own engine you won't have any issues.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

GeraldT wrote:those who speak binary and those that don't ;)
And those who speak trinary :ugeek:
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Everyone knows Base-8 is where it's at.

V8griff, Welcome to the forums.
Your avatar was giving me a headache, so I made an alternate version that's not as rapid, and has somewhat less white edges.

You know.. just for your consideration. Don't change just to please me :P
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

jaybug wrote:Everyone knows Base-8 is where it's at.

V8griff, Welcome to the forums.
Your avatar was giving me a headache, so I made an alternate version that's not as rapid, and has somewhat less white edges.

You know.. just for your consideration. Don't change just to please me :P
Hey no worries. I must admit when I put it up I thought it needed work and was a bit quick, but I hadn't got round to cleaning it up so thankyou for doing that for me :)
I used it on my website years ago and it was on a white background so the edges weren't obvious at all and it was much slower. Your nice new tidier version goes even quicker on my machine so as you'll see I've grabbed a single frame from the animation and used that as my Avatar.

Thanks again.
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

V8Griff wrote:
Direlight wrote:
One of the better videos ... "I wanna fly ..." Once I got my Rift I will setup shop somewhere in Vienna and let people play with the Rift for 5€/5Minutes ... flying costs extra. :D
You could do that if you pay for all the licensing fees and have permission to use trade marked logos. An exception would be if you're running it out of a country that has no formal ties to the US, example Iran.

Latecomer to these forums and I've just spent a lot of the last three days ploughing through this thread (Yes really, all 250 pages of it !! :geek: ) and I've learnt a lot from you guys about what is available out there these days and it's great to see Palmer and his team getting the backing they deserve for their not inconsiderable efforts. Although I'm concerned about the potential backlash & negativity that may come once people who shouldn't have bought the dev kit start receiving them, realise they can only run the demo games/examples provided out of the box and then start moaning. We've already seen examples of that in some of the Kickstarter comments. I hope it doesn't create too much negativity.

I ran a business in the '90s and early 2000s hiring out Virtuality systems to Corporate events and exhibitions. I still have one of my 1000SU units and the parts from my 2000SUs and at the end of last year I was looking to upgrade my Visette2 units with higher resolution screens which was starting to look expensive when I discovered the Rift Kickstarter programme. I didn't back the project there (shame on me) as I was struggling to believe the hype as I've seen so many 'false dawns' but once I saw the reviews from CES and all the videos I realised that this really could be the re-emergence of VR as a viable technology so I'm one of the post Kickstarter pre-orders and can't wait. :woot

Back to the reason for my post however. I don't see any legal issues with using the Rift in a rental situation as you own the device and haven't signed any NDAs that would prevent you from hiring the equipment out. The environments that you run would potentially be a stumbling block if the licence agreements prevents you from using the game for reward although it doesn't seem to effect the use of games in the F1 or other racing simulators you see at trade shows.

Obviously you could create your own environments that are time limited for throughput , like the Virtuality Experiences, and you could offer to tailor or custom build those for your clients to include products, logos etc. As long as you comply with the various licence requirements of commercially available software like UDK for example with regards to percentages after earning $50k, or if you use other engines such as Unity or your own engine you won't have any issues.
as these are 'development units', does that mean they won't be FCC certified? (or CE for europe)? if so, that might prevent you using them in a commercial venture?
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

There was a picture from the unboxing at Mojang where it appeared that the interface box had FCC and CE markings.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

mrklaw wrote:[
as these are 'development units', does that mean they won't be FCC certified? (or CE for europe)? if so, that might prevent you using them in a commercial venture?
I assume as they're being sold that they will have to be certified and I'm sure I did read something about certification somewhere.
alpha
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alpha »

twofoe wrote: Sounds like a bad idea to me. The people sorting your packages will be comparing text, not how the characters are pronounced. They probably don't even know how those characters are pronounced, and if the package sorters are bilingual, they probably will understand that you meant "ö" when you wrote "o".

The final sorting is always done in the region and not in the USA. In the USA the only sorting is GERMANY - for example USPS is not looking at the name or road or what ever... as soon as the package arrives in Germany it gets sorted by PLZ (like ZIP in US). Finally at the local sorting station the street and name will be used by someone that knows the area.
I'm sure UPS or FedEx is doing it like this too.
Hermit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hermit »

The UPS system will create a label for it based on the information and find the closests matching street. Country + ZIP + House Number should be sufficient.

That is how the handwriting processing machine's work too, i am always amazed by that.
Ali
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ali »

I'm assuming the "Ready" status don't really mean anything on how soon you'd get the dev kit, right?

I've ordered in the later half of the kickstarter and a bit bummed that I probably won't get mine this month. I was planning to do a short game with it for this month's #1GAM :(

Still can't wait to mess with it, hopefully I'll get access to the SDK before I get my hands on the dev kit Rift.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

LIVE stream is up right now! SXSWi

kictarter update:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... f=activity

live stream
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/oculusvr-live
Modab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Modab »

Watching the live stream... sounds like Palmer all but announced the consumer version will have a hydra-like complete hand tracking solution.
!!!
Pyry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyry »

I didn't get that impression; it sounded to me more like he was recommending the hydra as one currently available option, not that he was saying that it was The Solution.
Modab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Modab »

To me, it was a couple of things put together; first they mentioned all the neat "side-projects" they saw while they were at the Oculus HQ. Then they spent several minutes talking about how important it was to have hands be represented in the game world. Then immediately Palmer flubbed a line, I'll quote from a forum post from Volte6:
"While talking about how important the hand tracking is/will be, he then said "That's something that w..." [pauses and looks around nervously] "...would be really cool"... I think he almost said "we're working on""

I'm not saying they will be using the Hydra, I think they told those developers to get used to hand tracking with the Hydra as a stand in. I bet they are working on something much more awesome than the Hydra (which is already a pretty sweet controller)
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Chris talked too long! I wanted to hear some questions!
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

Well it's known that they are looking into developing other hardware than just the Rift, so it isn't really that hard to imagine that they're working on new input methods. Probably more than one, and probably many of them will never see daylight (which is why they don't want to mention them publicly).
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

LNQ wrote:Well it's known that they are looking into developing other hardware than just the Rift, so it isn't really that hard to imagine that they're working on new input methods. Probably more than one, and probably many of them will never see daylight (which is why they don't want to mention them publicly).
Also they wouldn't want to blow their load in one go. Gotta continue the hype train for a long while, since the Consumer Rift's a ways away.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Is Oculus demoing the final dev kit at SXSW? I'd love to read some impressions about the 7" panel, etc.
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

They said that the final dev kit will be show at the gdc
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

what do u guys mean final dvkit?
raijinspecial
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raijinspecial »

I went to the event and they didnt mention it during the talks but they had one of the old prototype units to show off. I managed to sneak into the line and get a demo just before they were packing up. The demo they had was really amazing, there was a house on an oceanfront cliff and they had you walk up to the edge and look down. The tracking was awesome and the resolution was not at all a problem, imagine holding an iPhone 3G screen really close to your face, the screen of the unit through the lenses was equivalent to a little better looking. I got stuck looking at a plant in a barrel next to the house, the sense of scale was really impressive. I used it for maybe 30-45 seconds and when I took it off I was honestly disoriented a little but in a good way. It had succeeded in being immersive even in the chaos and noise of the exhibition hall.

My only negative comment does not apply to the developer kits, at least initially. The demo unit was a little stinky as many people had been induced to sweat into the head foam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3NwtIv7OCk

Overall I am equally or more excited for the dev kit after having tried it myself. :shutter
Last edited by raijinspecial on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Oculus VR”