Making my laptop 3d compatible, need help

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
mortuarius
One Eyed Hopeful

Making my laptop 3d compatible, need help

Post by mortuarius »

Ok so heres some back story:

I have an Asus G51VX laptop. It has the GeForce GTX260M card in it and is technically capable of 3D vision by using a 3D vision kit and hooking it to an external monitor.

Now about a year or so after Asus released this laptop, they started releasing 3D vision laptops starting with the G51J-3D. The only differences between the G51J-3d and the G51VX was the Chipset, Proc, Ram, Bios and ofcorce, G51J-3d has the 120hz screen. The BOTH have the same GeFroce GTX260M card.

I decided to do a little expiriment and purchase the same 120HZ screen used in the G51J and install it in my G51VX as well as a 3D Vision kit. The screen works fine in 120hz mode no problems.

The issue i am now having is that no nVidia driver I have tried to date will detect it as a compatible display. I keep getting the error that the laptops display is NOT compatible EVEN THOUGH it is in 120HZ mode.

I HAVE forced stereo 3d on using an old set of drivers and anaglyph mode. I then switch it to say CRT and load up DDD drivers and they DO work to some extent. But I get really poor FPS.

My question is, does anyone know of any way to FORCE the nvidia drivers to detect the LCD? My original though was maybe i need a different LVDS cable but then I imagine if I didnt HAVE the correct one, then the screen wouldnt got into 120HZ mode. Any help would be appreciated.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Making my laptop 3d compatible, need help

Post by PalmerTech »

I don't have any help to offer, except to say that I would also be interested in a fix for this, as I have the exact same laptop.
mortuarius
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mortuarius »

Thanks for replying. Since you have the same laptop, have you notices that when you install any of the 200 version and up nvidia drivers, the control panel WONT display stereoscopic settings? This was another issues I ran into. I have to use version 190.68 in order to get the stereoscopic option to display in control panel.

When using newer versions, i would go into program files > nvidia and manually launch the stereoscopic wizard and it would still tell tell me the laptop display is incompatible.

Im wondering if simply moding an INF file for the 3d drivers to include the particular display I have (chi mei N156B6-L3D) would correct the issue. I created an INF for the lcd using MONinfo and force installed it so my display would come up as that instaid of generic PNP but still no luck. Im also wondering what is causing the issue with the newer drivers NOT displaying stereoscopic settings in the nv control panel on my laptop.

When installed on my desktop which has a GeForce GTS 250, standard monitor and no glasses plugged in, the stereoscopic option STILL appears, but when it comes to the laptop, the option is no where to be found.

Hoping anyone who knows how the drivers work and what the look for can shed some light on this. I am not sure if the drivers may be trying to detect specific laptop models or not.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Does that laptop have Optimus by any chance? Cause my laptop has Optimus and because of that I can't use 3D off the HDMI port. Really sucks. Maybe its something similar.
mortuarius
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mortuarius »

As far as I can tell, the G51VX does not have optimus tech. I do believe I have found out the problem though. I was trying to find out why I am having so many issues with drivers, especially the newer ones and came across this post on the nVidia forums http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=197094

Basically, someone got the Alienware M17X 3d version that came with the GTX460M. 3D worked perfectly fine with the 460m. He then decided to upggrade to the 485m and all of a sudden he was getting the same error about the lcd panel NOT being compatible.

As it turns out, nVidia designs its 3D driver to work with specific model laptop builds. Now someone suggested finding away to add your device id and or panel edid to S3D somehow and that may force it to work but I have no idea which inf would need to be edited.

I can't believe nVidia drivers are pretty much open for desktops. As long as your desktop has an nVidia 3D capable card, glasses and 120hz screen, it will work. But they "whitelist" laptops. Lots of people are pretty upset that they pull this stuff. Im pretty sure if either they, or someone whos good and moding infs could figure this out, i could have my laptop running 3D on the panel i just installed in it. But until then i either am stuck with Tridef which gives really crappy performance, or i guess i could just run anaglyph.

If anyone out there is pretty good at disecting and modding inf files wants to give this a shot, id appreciate it. If you need my videocards dev id or lcd's edid let me know. Thanks.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”