a few questions about 120hz 3d displays

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
metalrebel83
One Eyed Hopeful

a few questions about 120hz 3d displays

Post by metalrebel83 »

hello again,been thinking about getting a 120hz active shutter 3d setup to replace my lg d2342p due to ghosting n too narrow viewing distance.but there are a few questions i thought i'd ask before i spend any money.

firstly is it true that active shutter 3d has no ghosting? read that somewhere but dunno if its bullshit or not. was also wondering if its a noticeable improvement in terms of 3d depth percieved compared to what i already have?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: a few questions about 120hz 3d displays

Post by cybereality »

Pretty much all 3D monitors will have some ghosting (more or less). It depends on the model and the glasses if the ghosting is better or worse. Some high-end HDTVs, for example, have very little ghosting. And on DLP projectors, for example, there is almost none.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I think active shutter system that uses LCD's will have some ghosting on bright stuff.
NumberSix
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NumberSix »

My experience with the BenQ XL2420TX is that the Lightboost methodology (timing the backlighting with the shutter-open period) does a pretty good job of removing most ghosting. I've found two instances where I thought I saw a ghost; one was in LOTRO and was an issue with DX10 water reflections in 3d, and one was in iRacing, only appeared at the bottom of the image very faintly where a near-white image (hex bolt on a steering wheel) was being displayed on a black wheel.

In other words, it's close but nothing short of a HMD is really "perfect."

I don't know if depth is better or worse than passive 'cause I've only seen passive in a TV demo loop. In that context it seemed equivalent, but the experience of a blu-ray or demo is not even roughly equivalent to 3d PC gaming.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I dont really see how depth could vary passive to active. IMHO, depth sensation on monitors/tv's is all a matter of content, not 3D method.
I've had great popout using both passive and active systems.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Ghosting is actually a

picture of left eye which is visible to right eye ( Vise a versa) due to

residual image and pixel refresh limitation in 120Hz display

and due to imperfect polarization in passive display
(though there is much advancement in tech still as its on single monitor this limitation applies to passive tech where as in theatres due to two different projectors there is no much ghosting (IMAX) but i have seen ghosting in theaters too where active 3d tech is employed)

This also differs in ammount as more or less ghosting due to precision and advance production applied to product but it can not be eliminated

Though i am eager to have 120 HZ passive display i know it will also have ghosting due to residulal image phenomina.

I have also noticed ghosting more or less in monitor when playing same game with same DDD profile between differnet levels so may be it has also some thing to do wid game's with color pellet too. some games show eminent ghosting some leaves mere a hint of it.

Only way to eliminate ghosting for home entertainmnet is give each eye its own independent output ONLY POSSIBLE IN HMD

though HMD are still not so populor among all and Way to costly with many limitation of FOV and Resolution

They also introduce nosia and head ache as ...
you will come to know if near and far object placement is improper or at wrong distance between two output in monitor due to ghosting
which you will not notice so easly in HMD your pupils try to focus individually for differnet image of same object at differet distance in each Output which does not happen when you see things normal way in real world it puts strain on brain & in end you will have headache or nosia after 30 minutes session.

HMD still has to evolve in terms of FOV i would love to have one with 178" Horizontal and 160" Vertical FOV with 32" screen projected at distance of 3 Feet same as my monitor but there is no such solution avialable in my knowledge not at 400-500US$

So we have to deal with what we have till things evolve and its wise to accept lesser evil to tap the nestier one.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I just got a DLP projector and I can confirm there is virtually NO GHOSTING. Even on high contrast scenes (black gun on a white wall, etc.). I have not noticed any ghosting whatsoever (and I looked). I used to think this was only possible with HMDs, but DLP is great in this regard.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

what DLP Projector you got? do you use NVIDIA 3D VISION or EXPAND glasses

Can projector be used without special silver screen?

and what is cost of Projector+Glass+Screen ?

I suspect it must easily cross 1000-1500Us$

Can Projector be used in daily routine gaming, whats cost of running Lamp Life+Power Consump?

Sorry, if it looked lame but i think its LUXURY to have of course if you can afford!
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Can Projector be used in daily routine gaming, whats cost of running Lamp Life+Power Consump?
If you use a projector for 4 hours a night, most bulbs will last a couple of years. Now, for bulbs being around $300-$400 here, that means its around $150-$200 per year to run. Not bad at all. My friends just replaced their bulb for the first time in 4+ years and they watch TV on their PJ all the time.

I believe DLP switches the image using micromirrors every frame, so it doesn't have to worry about the change times etc of LCD, which means you apparently can get nearly perfect 3D with one, and rather cheaply. The real issue becomes how well the glasses work (how dark/light they can go and how quickly they can cycle, as well as how well they synchronize).
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

its good to find that running cost is low and projector itself depend on model and resolution it support but start anywhere around 750Us $ for decent one

But again silver screen are no cheaper then 500US$ + DLP Glass around 100US$ if 3D Vision2 150US$ again with them there are issues to find compatible projector+Keep emitter in Line of Site

It really goes costly business but you gain BIG SCREEN too.
If its ghosting free its worth but costly!!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Its not expensive at all.

The projector I use is the Optoma GT750E, it retails for $750, but I got on some random sale for $615 (sale is over unfortunately).

I am not using a screen, just a white wall. I spent around another $150 to repaint the wall pure white. Seems to work good enough.

For glasses I got some Hong Kong generics off eBay for $40. They actually work better than the 3D Vision 1 glasses, they are very bright and no ghosting.

All in all around $800 for the whole setup (not including the PC I built). Not bad for a 100" 3D theater in my living room.

Return to “3D Monitors”