QuakeCon July 31st to August 3rd Dallas TX- Many Vendors!

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

QuakeCon July 31st to August 3rd Dallas TX- Many Vendors!

Post by chrisdfw »

For those that don't know, the QuakeCon this year will be July 31st to August 3rd in Dallas TX.

www.quakecon.org

They will have over 60 companies demonstrating their computer/gaming products. I do not yet know what companies are attending, but I have seen Nvidia there quite often. I would love to corner an Nvidia rep and talk to him about 3d support. :)

I am also going to be demonstrating my Samsung 42 inch Plasma in 3d at a booth showing off fully enlcosed cockpits that will be for sale. I'll give out more details on the fully enclosed cockpits as that information becomes available.

Neil, any chance you can make it?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I can try! We will have to play it by ear.

Regards,
Neil
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Just a reminder that the event starts this Thursday...

If anyone wants to see a 42inch Samsung Plasma doing 3d just come by booth 302 or look for the PodWombats sign. You can go to www.quakecon.org for directions and free registration. If you come by the booth I'll be the one with "Pest" on my nametag so please stop by and say hello. The vendors area is open Thu, Fri and Sat.

I'll be refering all of those interested in 3d to mtbs3d.com so hopefully we'll get a few new members!

Chris
Neil

Post by Neil »

That's awesome! Thanks!

Regards,
Neil
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Quakecon 2008 appeared to have broken its old records for attendance. There were around 3000 computers in the BYOC room alone.

We had approximately 1500 people over the 3 days either directly play a game on the samsung 42 inch plasma or watch someone play while wearing the shutter glasses. Most of the time we had Call Of Duty 4 running but we did put up Flight Sim X for a couple hours at the request of some flight sim fans. Unfortunately, the latest TriDef drivers kept my Need For Speed Pro Street from working so I couldn't demo a driving sim.

TI also had a demo going using shutter glasses but they were showing off the ability to have 2 different people see 2 different non stereo images on the same screen. I prefer 3d!

All in all, I am happy that I was able to have more people experience 3d gaming. They should be able to go into your local Best Buy and experience it (but can't). Those that had more questions than I was able to answer or showed interest were told of mtbs3d, so hopefully they will drop by.
Neil

Post by Neil »

WOW!

It sounds like it was a big success. Very good!

Thanks for making this special effort. How was the response to the 3D? Did you learn anything from what people were saying?

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

right a little of topic here. chrisdfw, for the newcomers, can you tell me please about your role in the stereoscopic industry? Perhaps then this thread will make more sense to me.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

yuriythebest1 wrote:right a little of topic here. chrisdfw, for the newcomers, can you tell me please about your role in the stereoscopic industry? Perhaps then this thread will make more sense to me.
I'll be glad to. I am part of a group that creates fully enclosed cockpit type cabinets to help people immerse themselves completely in games without the distractions of the outside world. Since we are a recent startup company we don't yet have the resources for advertising other than our booth at Quakecon but would love to be able to support MTBS3d in the future. Hopefully, since we don't compete with any current MTBS3d sponsors and their equipment can be easily used in our cockpits, Neil won't mind me mentioning that you can go to www.podwombats.com for further info. We don't sell any 3d related stuff, but you can see how well 3d compliments what we are going for. :D

To answer Neil's question about the reaction to 3d, it was mostly jaw-dropping disbelief that this was even possible. People were enjoying just watching people play the game since I had two pair of extra 3d glasses just for spectators. When people would get into COD4 in 3d some of them quickly figured out that one of the coolest things to do was crawl through grass. I would say only about 5% claimed they had some eyestrain or thought it was giving them a headache. We were using the new Tri-Def COD4 drivers. They did have a glitch with certain scopes showing a double scope image but hopefully a future driver update will fix that. All in all it was very positive and proved to me that 3d gaming needs a way for the public to try it in a major retail store. I honestly find COD4 a completely different game in 3d than without.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

all in all very innovative since this is the first time I've seen one of those for sale .

In any case I think I'll just settle for the budget version

chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Lol!!!

Ours is expensive and over $400 to ship in the US so we didn't expect it would be for everyone. Some LAN centers seem interested. Unfortunately, to make it with the sound absorbant carpet interior and it's ability to break down and fit in a small space was kind of pricey. My fiance wouldn't put up with it if I couldn't convert the guest room back to a guest room occasionally and she definately doesn't want to hear what I yell on teamspeak so the soundproofing is a must.

I need one of those immersive things from your picture to use at work. :)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

yuriythebest1 wrote:all in all very innovative since this is the first time I've seen one of those for sale .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where do you get all those ideas!!!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Likay wrote:
yuriythebest1 wrote:all in all very innovative since this is the first time I've seen one of those for sale .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where do you get all those ideas!!!
that actually is a real product :) there is also a mobile phone version.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”