What about Intel and Larrabee?

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

What about Intel and Larrabee?

Post by cybereality »

Ok, so everyone probably knows Intel is getting in on the graphics card market with the Larrabee platform. What better way to differentiate their product from the main competition (AMD/ATI)? What better way to get a huge exodus of disgruntled former nvidia fans? Its just great marketing all around. They could have a packed theater at one of the trade shows and demo their graphics card with say a RealD projector setup. It would blow the press away to see their best demo (project offset?) in big-screen real-time 3d. And what could ATI show, nothing. Why are they not on this?

What can we do to see that Intel supports stereo3d on their new graphics platform? They are still tinkering with stuff like real-time ray-tracing, certainly stereo 3d isn't that much crazier. If they get on S3D now they can integrate it into the platform (maybe even the hardware) not some buggy driver patch. It would have to work for modern games, of course, and it would make a great bulletpoint on the box! I can say right now if Intel did this, I would sell my current geforce/nforce computer I just built and buy their platform instead.

If the current graphics card companies (ATI/Nvidia) are not going to support this market (properly) then someone needs to step up to the plate. Who better than Intel?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I also wonder why the graphics card manufacturers aren't riding the wave of popularity of stereo 3D and increased awareness due to the S3D movies coming out. The only problem with using a RealD projector setup is I believe they are using a resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels and I'm not sure if they'd do up conversion. I do think they should be able to do something like this. Why not have a product launch press conference in a digital cinema where everyone can put on their glasses and see real time generated S3D.
If a graphics card manufacturer was to do this, I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well theres the answer to that question:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel- ... ,5847.html

Did I call it, or did I call it? I wonder if Intel reads this forum....
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Well theres the answer to that question:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel- ... ,5847.html
Nice one... The tide is begining to turn. It's about time everyone else realized what I've know for years; looking at 3D on a 2D media is crazy :roll:
cybereality wrote:Did I call it, or did I call it? I wonder if Intel reads this forum....
LOL. It may just be wishful thinking. :wink: You never know though... I'm sure Neil is whispering MTBS3D wherever he goes so wouldn't take much for someone at Intel to catch on.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Psssst! mtbs3d.com.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”